LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will lowering my car void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 12:46 PM
ekim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will lowering my car void my warranty?

Like the title says....
Old 04-22-12, 01:00 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Again..a search would of provided the answers..bottom line is a dealer would have to prove the lowering directly caused the issue for a particular part but will not void the warranty as a whole..depends on what fails..but please take a few mins to search the LS460 forum for countless posts on this
Old 04-22-12, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It will only void warranty if the part is a direct cause of failure. Example: If the car is lowered and your AC goes out it covered, but if your shocks blow out you are on your own.
Old 04-23-12, 05:18 PM
Enigma869
Driver

I'm no insurance expert, but have some life experience. My experience tells me that the dealership will find some way to blame what you did on the repair that is needed. The one thing I have learned about insurance over the years (and that's all a warranty is) is that if there is a way for the company to weasel out of paying a claim, they will find that way!

John
Old 04-23-12, 06:01 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
I'm no insurance expert, but have some life experience. My experience tells me that the dealership will find some way to blame what you did on the repair that is needed. The one thing I have learned about insurance over the years (and that's all a warranty is) is that if there is a way for the company to weasel out of paying a claim, they will find that way!

John
My life experience tells me that if someone pushes you, you can either (i) swallow it or (ii) push back.

With my previous car, the dealership attempted to blame my front upper strut bar "modification" as to why my automatic windows stopped working. I had them put that in writing and the next morning, I returned with my lawyer speak to them about that.

Needless to say, repairs were performed within 24 hours.

Modifications come in different forms. There are extreme modifications and there are more mild ones. The good thing for those who elect to "modify" their car is, the burden of proof is on the dealership.
Old 04-23-12, 07:37 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
My life experience tells me that if someone pushes you, you can either (i) swallow it or (ii) push back.

With my previous car, the dealership attempted to blame my front upper strut bar "modification" as to why my automatic windows stopped working. I had them put that in writing and the next morning, I returned with my lawyer speak to them about that.

Modifications come in different forms. There are extreme modifications and there are more mild ones. The good thing for those who elect to "modify" their car is, the burden of proof is on the dealership.
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-12, 08:21 PM
09LS460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87

haha.....love it.

There are WAY too many people that will let others dictate how things will be......I don't care if something flies in the face of a policy........i'll argue the policy is BS and still get things handled before I'll ever roll over...
Old 04-23-12, 08:34 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Makes sense... windows and suspension aren't directly related. But if you lower your car and your carter gets busted and you gush oil away... or other low parts get scrapped on curbs, speed humps, etc... no, it's not covered.
Old 04-24-12, 07:29 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Makes sense... windows and suspension aren't directly related. But if you lower your car and your carter gets busted and you gush oil away... or other low parts get scrapped on curbs, speed humps, etc... no, it's not covered.

Precisely my point. Obviously, some issues are going to be impossible to connect. You can't claim that because a car was lowered that the sunroof is no leaking. My larger point was that if there is ANY possibility, AT ALL, for them to blame something you did on the issue you now want fixed under warranty, they'll find a way to connect the dots. Sure, you can get attorneys involved, but not everyone has that personality. Hell, I got Lexus to pay my dealer to update the maps on my 07 CPO and didn't have to pay a nickel out of pocket, simply because I made some noise about how ridiculous that I thought it was that updating maps wasn't part of the CPO process.

John