LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Coilover/Tanabe Spring Mix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 03:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Coilover/Tanabe Spring Mix?

Ok guys, I'm putting on my flame suit just in case but here goes anyway.

For those of us with Tanabe's, in most cases the front end sits lower than the rear as far as overall stance goes. I like the way that looks actually but would the car handle very bad if I was to replace the front Tanabe springs and stock shocks in place of a set of front adjustable coilovers?

Now hear me out before you flame me lol..

The thought here is this. My rear camber and toe is actually still within acceptable specs and the rear tires on Tanabe's are wearing perfectly even per my earlier posts in my Tanabe install thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7148398#post7148398

They say for every inch you lower the car, you can expect about .80 degrees of camber to change. If that is true, then if I had coilovers up front, I could raise the car up about .75" or 1" up and perhaps make the car sit even and improve camber dramatically for situations like extended road trips. I could dial in the dampening on the front to mimic the spring rates of the rear Tanabe's.

I know most of you are thinking why don't I just do coilovers all around? Well, honestly I shouldn't need to because the rear tanabe's sit exactly perfect to me and I like the way they ride, my issue is only the front half of the car when it comes to uneven tire wear. Even raising the car about 1/2" in the front would really help the tire wear I think...just brainstorming here folks..any major issues with this concept?

The only issues I could see is the there is no setting that would mimic the tanabe spring rate (dampening) and the car would have dramatically different handling between front and rear ends...and the another issue could be a vendor selling just the fronts and break up a set, but I assume they have inventory to replace things under warranty, so perhaps they can do a la carte buys..I dunno..

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-12, 04:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Ok guys, I'm putting on my flame suit just in case but here goes anyway.

For those of us with Tanabe's, in most cases the front end sits lower than the rear as far as overall stance goes. I like the way that looks actually but would the car handle very bad if I was to replace the front Tanabe springs and stock shocks in place of a set of front adjustable coilovers?

Now hear me out before you flame me lol..

The thought here is this. My rear camber and toe is actually still within acceptable specs and the rear tires on Tanabe's are wearing perfectly even per my earlier posts in my Tanabe install thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...98#post7148398

They say for every inch you lower the car, you can expect about .80 degrees of camber to change. If that is true, then if I had coilovers up front, I could raise the car up about .75" or 1" up and perhaps make the car sit even and improve camber dramatically for situations like extended road trips. I could dial in the dampening on the front to mimic the spring rates of the rear Tanabe's.

I know most of you are thinking why don't I just do coilovers all around? Well, honestly I shouldn't need to because the rear tanabe's sit exactly perfect to me and I like the way they ride, my issue is only the front half of the car when it comes to uneven tire wear. Even raising the car about 1/2" in the front would really help the tire wear I think...just brainstorming here folks..any major issues with this concept?

The only issues I could see is the there is no setting that would mimic the tanabe spring rate (dampening) and the car would have dramatically different handling between front and rear ends...and the another issue could be a vendor selling just the fronts and break up a set, but I assume they have inventory to replace things under warranty, so perhaps they can do a la carte buys..I dunno..

Thoughts?
With the inevitably higher spring rates and damping in the front this will cause the car to feel a bit funny and when you go into corners hard or exit a circular freeway off ramp at high speed this could lead you to understeer ( meaning the wheel is turned but the car continues going forward. When the front is stiff it will cause it to break away sooner. Now this is only under hard driving ( I used to be a track freak who loves reading books on chassis engineering and track driving techniques). In the end I just think the main thing you will contend with will be the harsher ride and kind of an awkward feeling on corner entry and exit. I hope I didnt get to technical
Old 04-11-12, 04:35 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
With the inevitably higher spring rates and damping in the front this will cause the car to feel a bit funny and when you go into corners hard or exit a circular freeway off ramp at high speed this could lead you to understeer ( meaning the wheel is turned but the car continues going forward. When the front is stiff it will cause it to break away sooner. Now this is only under hard driving ( I used to be a track freak who loves reading books on chassis engineering and track driving techniques). In the end I just think the main thing you will contend with will be the harsher ride and kind of an awkward feeling on corner entry and exit. I hope I didnt get to technical
No..that's good feedback. Thank you! I was hoping that with a multiple adjustable type of coilover...it could match up close.

The tanabe drop up front is over 2 inches..if it was 1.25" or 1.5" after settling..it would be perfect for me. The front end drop after settling of the Tanabes was a little more than I expected..rides great though..just dealing with front tire wear.
Old 04-11-12, 05:08 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tanabe do recommend that you use fronts and rears, for there set up, I am in a pickle because I bought the tanabe's but I dont want to put them on because of my rears wheels are set up! waiting on a fender roll, hopefully this weekend. Cjitty do you have both setups???? I think it can be done but there has to be a lot of adjustments made as fars as trying to match the drop. How much gap is in the rear with the tanabe's???
Old 04-11-12, 05:16 PM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line! Get coilovers!

The tire wear is not that bad and hell you drive a LS. Just buy some more tires!

Last edited by FrankyBoy; 04-11-12 at 05:17 PM. Reason: bc i can
Old 04-11-12, 05:17 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Lextrician
Tanabe do recommend that you use fronts and rears, for there set up, I am in a pickle because I bought the tanabe's but I dont want to put them on because of my rears wheels are set up! waiting on a fender roll, hopefully this weekend. Cjitty do you have both setups???? I think it can be done but there has to be a lot of adjustments made as fars as trying to match the drop. How much gap is in the rear with the tanabe's???
No..just tanabe..check out my build thread for tons of pics so you can see the drop..front is lower than rear a little
Old 04-11-12, 05:21 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually want the rear to be lower like the front lol. Even if I know all of the science behind having different suspension setups front and rear I would still never do what you are saying. I'm planing on switching to coilovers sooner or later...NEEDS MOAR LOW
Old 04-11-12, 05:24 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

it'll feel terrible i had to do it for a week or so while my front coilovers were being warrantied... dont do it half-a$$ed... what r u thinking
Attached Thumbnails Coilover/Tanabe Spring Mix?-murphy-eddie-beverly-hills-cop-4.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 05:32 PM
CJITTY

Again..brainstorming people lol...the perfect solution for me would of been the H&R O.E. version coil springs..very mild drop to remove fender gap and provide slight enhancement to suspension but not as aggressive as the HR Sports or Tanabe..but H&R does not offer that spring model..the wheel gap on the LS is not bad in the rear..the front is the issue..just an inch less gap would of been great..like some BMWs have no gap just stock..wish Lex did that
Old 04-11-12, 05:35 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy

The tire wear is not that bad and hell you drive a LS. Just buy some more tires!
QFT.

I agree with the later posts in this thread, by attempting to half-*** your suspension, you're going to get just that. It sounds like you're trying to avoid labor costs by not having someone install your rear coilover suspension, but in the reality of things, dropping out your current suspension for coilovers should take half as long as it did to install your springs.

It also sounds like you've never experienced coilovers. From my experience, the only advice I can give you is that you should save yourself the headache with this experimental suspension and just get coilovers with dampening adjustability. You should want to be able to fine tune every corner of your suspension to your personal liking. You should be more satisfied with your rear calibrated suspension versus what you have on in the rears now.
Old 04-11-12, 05:54 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

2nd /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
Old 04-11-12, 06:15 PM
CJITTY

Again.. just a random idea for discussion...the input is good tho. my tanabes are still in and I enjoy my ride quality with them..labor is not an issue for me either. I just wish the tanabes weren't as low up front as they are..I am pretty sure I am much lower than the 1.8" that is advertised. And yes, I don't have experience with coilovers..I have been in an LS with them and it was a little harsh compared to Tanabes..but in their defense they were still playing with the settings. If I decide to pass up on getting a 2010 L with air..I may switch to coilovers but I think I would need to test drive one to see if it can be as comfortable as the Tanabes..if not better. The reviews between springs and coilivers are all over the place..seems like one of those never ended debates..like 22s ans 20s lol
Old 04-11-12, 06:24 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

just get the coilovers or else there will trouble!!!! Kiss my Vibrams.... ROTFLMBAO..
Attached Thumbnails Coilover/Tanabe Spring Mix?-thelastdragon-2.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 06:31 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy

Hey..Nexens for $106 for 255/30/22, 460 treadwear, and good reviews..that most likely will a good option for us that didn't pay $70k+ for our cars as if it was just another day lol. Some of y'all got that Romney money..some of us don't but we do what we can lol
Old 04-11-12, 06:33 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
just get the coilovers or else there will trouble!!!! Kiss my Vibrams.... ROTFLMBAO..
LMBAO...stupid man!! Hahaha..I don't have two coilovers on order so sit the F back down haha..I know you clownin my fog mod sucka but it looks the same from the outside hahahaha

Quick Reply: Coilover/Tanabe Spring Mix?