LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My trunk will not open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 09:23 PM
ekim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trunk will not open!!!!

So today I walk out Walmart gettin ready to put some groceries in my trunk and it won't open. It beeps... But will not open. I've tried the button on both the remote and inside the car. Hell I even took a long stick and went through the middle of the back seat and pulled the trunk release inside the trunk lid.. And it still won't open.... No I did not touch the trunk cancel button in the glove. What could it be? Has anyone had this problem? All it does is beeps!!!! It won't open!!!! FML!!!!!!
Old 04-10-12, 03:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

This sort of problem seems to come up in our discussions occasionally. Usually it is caused by some sort of object, such as a luggage strap, being pressed into the latch mechanism during the closing operation and that sounds like what has happened to you. The first thing you should try is to forcefully lift the trunk lid by grasping under the lip, over the license plate, and lift up, sort of like you are trying to lift the car. This can easily injure your back so be cautious of that. Don't try any sort of mechanical lift as that might damage your car. You don't have to try coordinating this with any sort of release operation as usually the trunk is already released and just needs to be pulled up. Others have reported that they were able to resolve this problem by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Here is a link to some information that might be useful: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...procedure.html
Old 04-10-12, 10:11 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a small pass through in the back seat. open that and use a broom stick or any long stick/rod and try to hit the release launch attached to the trunk lid. That might release it.
Old 04-10-12, 10:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
There's a small pass through in the back seat. open that and use a broom stick or any long stick/rod and try to hit the release launch attached to the trunk lid. That might release it.
I think he tried that and it didnt work. This issue seems like its getting more common as the LS ages. It would drive nuts
Old 12-21-12, 11:06 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Same problem here.

I opened the lid, took some stuff from the trunk and closed it using the button. All seemed normal until I got in the car and shut the door. A warning msg on the dash said open trunk. I went to the trunk and found the lid to be completely shut. I opened the trunk lid and shut it again several times to no avail. So I pressed the lid with little force and I heard a click sound indicating that the lid was completely shut and the warning msg on the dash was gone.

Now the trunk wont open. I checked the button inside the glove box and made sure it wasn't activated. I used a rod to flip the lever through the opening in the back seat. When I flip the lever, the trunk light will turn on (indicating an open trunk) but the lid itself wouldn't seem to move. I used the metal key, and the lid will go up like 1/5" but won't completely open.

The only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the battery and plug it again (for a good reason related to the navigation system).

I want to spare my car a tedious procedure where stuff may get broken.

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-12, 12:09 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ekim
So today I walk out Walmart gettin ready to put some groceries in my trunk and it won't open. It beeps... But will not open. I've tried the button on both the remote and inside the car. Hell I even took a long stick and went through the middle of the back seat and pulled the trunk release inside the trunk lid.. And it still won't open.... No I did not touch the trunk cancel button in the glove. What could it be? Has anyone had this problem? All it does is beeps!!!! It won't open!!!! FML!!!!!!
Did the dude ever get his trunk open?

Come on people - post a follow up!!

At least post to say 'thanks' for the help!!!

Old 04-28-13, 01:25 PM
Smoothe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short and sweet. My fiancé got something stuck in the trunk and then it wouldn't open. After i freed the object the trunk still wouldnt open. I tried everything that has been suggested above, but in the wrong order. One hour later; after pushing and pulling and dreading the drive to the dealership. I decided to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and WA LAHH. The trunk opened. Thanks jmcraney.
Old 12-22-14, 09:46 AM
b8b
Rookie

On my LS460, I can open the trunk from the button on the dash and from the key, but the latch at the trunk will not open it. I have tried the battery unplug for about a minute, no luck. Do I need to try it for longer or try something else?
Old 12-22-14, 10:22 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

your switch at the trunk is most likely defective.
Old 12-22-14, 10:23 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by b8b
On my LS460, I can open the trunk from the button on the dash and from the key, but the latch at the trunk will not open it. I have tried the battery unplug for about a minute, no luck. Do I need to try it for longer or try something else?
Pardon me if you already know this, but do you understand that you must have the electronic key on your person when you press the button on the trunk?
Old 12-29-14, 02:00 PM
RogerN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Did Not Open - Replaced Lock Motor

My LS460 trunk went from working to shut tight over the course of a few minutes, it worked and then it didn't. There was nothing in the latch and nothing we tried (e.g., fob, key, emergency release, pulling up on the deck lid) could get it open. Dealer had to replace the lock motor. I do not know how they got it open.
Old 12-29-14, 02:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerN
My LS460 trunk went from working to shut tight over the course of a few minutes, it worked and then it didn't. There was nothing in the latch and nothing we tried (e.g., fob, key, emergency release, pulling up on the deck lid) could get it open. Dealer had to replace the lock motor. I do not know how they got it open.
Wow, I would be really interested in how they did it. If you can find out from them it would be great if you posted it here, just for future reference.
Old 12-29-14, 07:38 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

My thought would be to put the key in... holding it in unlock while lifting at the same time..... u may need help as the trunk is very heavy...plus if the motor has seized. You'll have to work against that too.....
Old 01-07-15, 05:20 PM
b8b
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Pardon me if you already know this, but do you understand that you must have the electronic key on your person when you press the button on the trunk?
Doh! This didn't work after a few tries, but just today, after some delay, it did somehow...

thanks!
Old 04-07-15, 01:20 PM
Kenw
Driver School Candidate

Default ls460 trunk issues

On my 2007 ls 460 trunk working fine then stopped. Key fob, inside button, and key would not open tried the emergency release via back seat no go. Even disconnected battery shut tight. "Broke" in via back seat with long ratchet extensions. Motor shot and new only available from dealer at 670 bucks plus. Car will be up for sale real soon as nearest dealer 200 miles from Tallahassee. Good luck if your ever fails....

Quick Reply: My trunk will not open!!!!