LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Know anyone to do 2007 LS 460 headlight replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 11:14 AM
qh0st
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Know anyone to do 2007 LS 460 headlight replacement?

Hi. I gave it a try but was not able to do the DIY headlight replacement detailed in this forum. I simply can't figure out how to remove the fender lining.

With that said, does anyone know where I can get this done for a reasonable price? I live near the Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE area.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-12, 12:11 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to remove the wheels and then the fender lining to replace the bulbs. This is how the service manual shows replacing the bulbs, use a flat head to remove the liner tabs. You can do it, might take you 20 mins ea good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Know anyone to do 2007 LS 460 headlight replacement?-ls460-bulb-replacement-istruction-srv-man.jpg  
Old 04-04-12, 01:22 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
You have to remove the wheels and then the fender lining to replace the bulbs. This is how the service manual shows replacing the bulbs, use a flat head to remove the liner tabs. You can do it, might take you 20 mins ea good luck.
Holy crap. You have to remove the wheels on the car simply to replace a burnt out bulb? Seriously? Wow. I find this to be ABSURD! Not sure what Lexus was thinking on this one.

John
Old 04-04-12, 01:31 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

You can't remove the fender liner without removing the wheels from the car.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (01-07-22)
Old 04-04-12, 02:22 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Not taking anything away from Tee but you don't have to remove the wheels or the entire liner.
Just turn the wheel in the opposite direction of the light your gonna change,remove the fasteners & you'll see the light covers.. I did it a few times already trying to decide on which bulbs to run lol..
Old 04-04-12, 02:40 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Not taking anything away from Tee but you don't have to remove the wheels or the entire liner.
Just turn the wheel in the opposite direction of the light your gonna change,remove the fasteners & you'll see the light covers.. I did it a few times already trying to decide on which bulbs to run lol..
Hey there is always another way, you can do it that way too.
Parrokeete (01-07-22)
Old 04-04-12, 04:35 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that thing is pain in the **** to deal with but it doesn't take long with the wheels removed... just remember the fasteners under the driver or passenger side!!!
Old 04-04-12, 08:42 PM
qh0st
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Hey there is always another way, you can do it that way too.
Thanks guys. I'm really have trouble removing the fasteners. I was able to remove the fender screws with a flat head screw driver (ended up breaking one btw). But after that, how do I get the fastener off so I can pull the liner?
Old 04-05-12, 07:19 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I was fortunate enough to change my lights while doing the brakes so the wheels were off but I did change bulbs since and all I did was jack the car up and turn the wheel. Gave plenty of clearance. The fastener turns about half turn lock to unlock and just simply pull it out. It doesnt keep turning like a screw. There are also a couple of 10mm bolts under there. Just pull the front of the lining, reach up and twist the plug that covers the light.
Old 11-04-12, 05:28 PM
cucusdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing LS460 Headlamps

LOW BEAMS - You do not have to remove the tire but it is a little easier if you do.
1. Remove the two flathead clips at liner edge by rotating 1/4 turn and slide flathead screwdriver under lip to pop out.
2. Remove the hex-screws holding the liner inside the wheel well. You can use a phillips head or a 10mm socket.
3. Use flathead screwdriver and pry liner away from the edgae of the fender. You may have to remove three hex-head screws from underneath the front of the wheel well.
4. The liner will bend/pull away with a little effort and you will see a the gray headlamp cover at about 2 o'clock. Turn it about a quarter turn and using a flat head screwdriver you can pry it out.
5. Inside, turn the metal cover 1/4 turn and pull off back of bulb.
6. Squeeze and remove wire clips
7. Remove lamp.
8. Insert new lamp making sure to line-up the slots making sure not to touch the bulb.

HIGH BEAMS - Can be accessed through the hood/engine well.
RandyV (02-02-18)
Old 06-21-13, 11:14 AM
BillC123
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 LS460L headlight bulb

The Lexus dealer told me that on the 2007 model, the bumper needed to be removed to replace the bulb. Told me it would be $600 to replace one bulb, $230+ for the bulb and the rest for labor. Told me that while they had the bumper off, I should do both as it would be cheaper - $900 total. This was only for the 2007 model. All others could be done without removing bumper. Is this true or can I can remove liner as suggested.

Will try and do myself. Do you need a Lexus bulb or can you go aftermarket. Seems like aftermarket is about 1/10th the price. Is this comparable.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 06-21-13, 11:58 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillC123
The Lexus dealer told me that on the 2007 model, the bumper needed to be removed to replace the bulb. Told me it would be $600 to replace one bulb, $230+ for the bulb and the rest for labor. Told me that while they had the bumper off, I should do both as it would be cheaper - $900 total. This was only for the 2007 model. All others could be done without removing bumper. Is this true or can I can remove liner as suggested.

Will try and do myself. Do you need a Lexus bulb or can you go aftermarket. Seems like aftermarket is about 1/10th the price. Is this comparable.

Nope. As stated above, no bumper removal needed - you can jack the car up and remove the wheel then remove the liner and you'll plainly see what to do. Or you can turn your wheel all the way one way to access a part of the liner to pull back and change it that way.

As for the prices - $230+ for one bulb sounds ridiculous. $230+ for a pair of genuine Philips bulbs is a little more reasonable. Even if you had to remove the bumper, it certainly wouldn't be $600 worth of labour to do it unless the tech is a dud.

Save yourself the money - purchase genuine philips bulbs off vendors here like Nigel-JDM and do it yourself.
Old 06-21-13, 12:46 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC123

Hahaha. ..that dealer was trying to bend you over with a sandpaper trojan and no vaseline
Old 06-21-13, 12:47 PM
Tee

In short your dealer is tripping with that price quote, the service dept reps at that dealer should be wearing ski mask!
Parrokeete (01-07-22)
Old 06-21-13, 01:26 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, that dealer is high on crack. I replaced both of my HIDs for 5000K units on my '07 in less than 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Know anyone to do 2007 LS 460 headlight replacement?