LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying an LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 02:44 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The one thing that kinda sucks about the radar cruise control if you try to get around a car without slowing down and come close to the car in front it'll slow down for you. Might be annoying to some.
Old 04-06-12, 04:26 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on all the features and options, but am defintitely partial to the long wheel base. Also, the executive seating package is a VERY cool option (though certainly not worth the astonishing $14K price tag it was when new).

The only option my LS460 L doesn't have is the radar cruise control, and it's nothing I would ever use. I've had my license for 25 years and have never used cruise control on any car I've ever owned. Never really understood the concept of the option. Not to mention, at 6'4", I have nowhere to store my long legs, if my foot isn't going to be on the gas pedal. Now, if it had auto-pilot and I could sit in the back seat with the ottoman reclined and the DVD player blasting a great concert, that's an option I'd sign up for!

John
Old 04-06-12, 06:51 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I use cruise all the time if I'm on the highway. But regular cruise is fine for me.
Old 04-07-12, 07:03 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
A 2010 is probably more than I want to spend but I am curious why you make note of that year model?

I also wonder why the EPA fuel rating of a 2007 is 27MPG highway then all the years after RWD are 24?
2010 was a refresh, predominantly for looks. Also, the ML system began supporting audio streaming via bluetooth (eliminating the ability to rip songs off CDs onto the HDD), a USB port was added (first year, I think), and Lexus Enform replaced LexusLink.

The actual fuel economy of the vehicles has not changed; it was the way the ratings are done that did.

Other than that, I have to second John's bias toward the long wheelbase. My LWB car is far quieter and smoother than any of the newer SWB LS cars I have driven.

Part of the extra smoothness is likely explained by the air suspension in mine.

Part of the quietness is courtesy of the jmcraney fix you've probably read about here, though even before I did this fix, my car was definitely quieter than brand new SWB LS460s I drove.

For the earlier model years (2007 and 2008 at least), the LWB came with Lamisafe (double pane) windows. Any SWB cars for those years that you may find with that type of glass have it because of one of the few TSIBs that Lexus issued for wind noise, not from the factory. Newer SWB LS460s (2010 or maybe even 2011 onward, not sure) do have this from the factory. So, in essence, if you choose to go with SWB, this is one other thing to look for.
Old 04-07-12, 07:14 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Is there any other optional feature or package I should particularly make a point of avoiding or buying

I special ordered mine so that I could get the Pre-Collision System, the key part of that being the radar cruise control. If you use cruise control and haven't tried the radar version, I suggest you test it out. I would never buy another car without it.
Even with the LS you have to special order radar cruise? Lexus is too stupid to simply allocate some LSs with radar cruise to their dealers? Even the LSs?

Your reaction to having radar cruise is common for those that have it. they love it. It is amazing that lexus makes it so hard to give their customers a popular option that they want.
Old 04-08-12, 07:35 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Even with the LS you have to special order radar cruise? Lexus is too stupid to simply allocate some LSs with radar cruise to their dealers? Even the LSs?

Your reaction to having radar cruise is common for those that have it. they love it. It is amazing that lexus makes it so hard to give their customers a popular option that they want.
At least at the time I ordered mine all program cars sent to dealers in snowbelt states did not have this option. I was told the reason was snow and ice could block the radar. Now why anyone would be using cruise control during a snowstorm is beyond me. The fact is the system will automatically shut off if you are using it in heavy rain.

I guess it's the same principle as why they don't trust their owners to use the nav when the car is moving.
Old 04-08-12, 10:40 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

At least at the time I ordered mine all program cars sent to dealers in snowbelt states did not have this option. I was told the reason was snow and ice could block the radar. Now why anyone would be using cruise control during a snowstorm is beyond me. The fact is the system will automatically shut off if you are using it in heavy rain.

I guess it's the same principle as why they don't trust their owners to use the nav when the car is moving.
I guess Lexus figures that no car sold new in a warm state would ever end up in the showbelt.
Old 04-08-12, 10:41 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

A few things: I have an '09 SWB AWD with air suspension. I absolutely swear that it's a placebo switch, as is the "sport/comfort" switch. After 3 years of ownership, I totally do not get it.
Old 04-08-12, 11:14 AM
zmisst
Rookie

I was told the reason was snow and ice could block the radar.
Dealers say the stupidest things.

My dealer said snow and ice could block my headlights so they wouldn't sell me a car with headlights.
Old 04-08-12, 12:09 PM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2007 and 2008
how are the SWB and LWB different?
Old 04-08-12, 01:47 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by daryll40
A few things: I have an '09 SWB AWD with air suspension. I absolutely swear that it's a placebo switch, as is the "sport/comfort" switch. After 3 years of ownership, I totally do not get it.
That's interesting... It (surprisingly) works on my 2008 (LWB, RWD). I use it quite a bit. There is definitely less of a difference between "neutral" and "comfort" (though it is still perceptible), but when you set it to "sport", you definitely know it. Same on the LX, for what it's worth.
Old 04-08-12, 02:05 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by zmisst

The whole procurement and allocation process (at least as of the last time I bought new back in 2010) is ridiculously inflexible, complicated and way behind the times, particularly when compared to the process with competitors. The do make dealer swaps possible at the port within a given region (which for the East coast, will rule out what we are talking about), but even that is not always easy.

Some other amusing (though not so at the time) data points...
  • 2007 GS350 - ML system was advertised everywhere, but it was nowhere to be found. Availability information - even after purchase - unclear; just wait until whenever the dealer calls you to tell you something was allocated to them.
  • 2010 GX460 - Premium model, around March 2010: advertised everywhere, including on the Lexus website. However, the factory was not building any of them, at least not for this region. Conversely, from release in late 2009 up until that time, the vast majority of what was shipped was Premium.
  • 2010 LX570 - Plenty of colors to choose from, as long as you want black, white, or silver... or special order. No information on availability, and eventually had to pick whatever the dealership was allocated (as a favor to the dealership from the district rep, I kid you not, since we had "waited so long"), as supply was tightening and the dealer would not have honored our deal for longer. The result: stuck with Cashmere interior.
There is not always consistent information across websites and dealerships, and sometimes there isn't any information...

Hopefully the process is easier nowadays, with Lexus now finding itself no longer being the #1 selling luxury brand in the US. I love the brand, but with the exception of our first new Lexus purchase, the other experiences buying new were hardly worth writing home about... too much of a "take it or leave it" attitude on the part of Lexus and the local dealerships IMHO.
Old 04-08-12, 02:11 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by ehaze
2007 and 2008
how are the SWB and LWB different?
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2513
Old 04-23-12, 07:42 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well.....my 'new' LS460L arrived this morning. I'm pleased to say that it looks 'nearly flawless' - with 37K miles it could pass for 5K miles. Even the radio and console still have the clear plastic film over the lenses. The interior looks 100% spotless and there are exactly 3 tiny stone chips on the front bumper. New tires with less than 200 miles and the Lexus Platinum warranty, too.

It's black on black with the 19" chrome 5 spoke wheels as part of the touring package.

This is a car I bought sight unseen from the original owner based on a single phone call I made while boarding a plane. I felt the guy was square so when I landed I wire transferred him a deposit. He called me back the next day and said if I changed my mind he would be glad....he had other buyers with more money waiting!

I don't intend to do any mods other than the possible headrest DVD's.
Old 04-23-12, 10:46 AM
larrygust
Driver School Candidate

Congrats ! What year is it and what did you end up paying for it? I would bet you got a better buy from a private party.

Quick Reply: Buying an LS460