LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

1/4 Mile run LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 10:14 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1/4 Mile run LS460L

So a few buddies were going to run their cars at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA so i decided to run my LS460L. We also got a chance to watch the season opener for Sonoma Drift. The first 2 runs i ran 15.4 and 15.5 @ 93ish mph. My last and final run I ran 14.8 @ 95mph. I think a few more runs i'd be able to shave .3 or more. Now I know it wasn't meant to be raced but hey why not.

The following users liked this post:
GreyRhino (01-15-20)
Old 03-08-12, 03:52 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
So a few buddies were going to run their cars at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA so i decided to run my LS460L. We also got a chance to watch the season opener for Sonoma Drift. The first 2 runs i ran 15.4 and 15.5 @ 93ish mph. My last and final run I ran 14.8 @ 95mph. I think a few more runs i'd be able to shave .3 or more. Now I know it wasn't meant to be raced but hey why not.

Sounds like it was fun so he// why not!!! Good stuff
GreyRhino (01-15-20)
Old 03-08-12, 07:16 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Neat! I hoped you deployed your drag chute!

Curious though, did you manually shift or did use use automatic in the power mode?
Old 03-08-12, 09:12 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Neat! I hoped you deployed your drag chute!

Curious though, did you manually shift or did use use automatic in the power mode?
Manually shifting did nothing...it actually slowed me down. It shifted by itself anyways. Wouldn't let you hit the rev limiter. So I used ect power switch. The key really Is to stage really well and to get good reaction times. I still can't believe some of the reaction times I seen last night. Some in the 1-4 second range smh
Old 03-08-12, 09:24 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-08-12, 09:41 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Good stuff for running it!! I would have done the same for fun, but proof our car's aren't dragcars hah.
Old 03-09-12, 01:32 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

That's not bad for 5000+ lb car though.
Old 03-09-12, 02:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats still pretty respectable for a car that big and heavy. I wonder what the difference between the 460 and 460L would be
Old 03-09-12, 02:53 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Not a bad time at all for such a heavy car thats not a drag car and probably running stock everything. I kind of figured a time between 14-15 but surprised at the results. What gets me about the slip is that you climbed 75mph the first 1/8 and only 20 the last 1/8. We have to do something about this. Its almost like it just died.
Old 03-09-12, 03:46 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point. I feel like the car's strength is 80+ and not down low. Our 4th gear feels pretty good going through, then you hit 5th and it still feels good-until it cuts your power
Old 06-02-15, 08:53 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm dredging up this old thread because I have taken almost every car I've owned down the 1/4 mile. It's fun, even in a slow car. Like my Honda Oddity. And the RX-7. It's just fun.

I've read the car will do 14.2 in the 1/4 mile. I think those are realistic numbers. What also makes me feel the 14.2 is realistic is that the 600h is supposed to do it in under 14 seconds. That seems logical to me because the 600h is AWD and CVT. Both being an advantage. The AWD an advantage right off the line, and the CVT from 60' on will keep the car at its peak power.

I dredge this up because a) I'm thinking of going to Atlanta Dragway, b) I'm trying to talk my M5 (V10 SMG) buddy into joining me and running his car down the track, and c) wanted to see if any of my fellow Atlanta LS CL members would like to make it a family affair.

I'm not doing this to beat my M5 friend. His car will burn the tires off, but may likely burn the clutch out of it simultaneously. I would be doing this for fun times & curiousity.

Also, I'm looking for suggestions to possibly hit 13.999999999 seconds.

I'll probably only run a quarter tank of gas, and take all the spare tire and associated hardware out of the trunk. The HOLD feature would be nice but I'm thinking I may brake torque it to maybe 2,000 rpm. I wonder if the computer will fight that? I would turn the traction control off if it would limit the computer interference, but I don't think it would make it faster ... like mentioned in posts above.

And lastly, maybe it would do no good, but I would manual select 1st gear, but once I launch I would bump the shifter back to 'D' and let the computer handle the rest while I put my foot to the floor.

I'm looking for SUGGESTIONS and to see who else from ATLANTA would like to join! No weekend set at this time.

7milesout
stopdrpnro (12-12-23)
Old 06-02-15, 09:26 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Sweet! Turn traction control off, do a good short burnout, and play with brake torque RPM on launch. Launch in S1 to make sure it doesn't short-shift to 2nd early if there is too much wheelspin. Should be able to get the 60 foot time close to 2.0 that way.

Take the spare out, take off the silver beauty cover (holds heat in), and cool it down before the run so the temp gauge is just getting to mid-range when you stage.
Old 06-02-15, 10:17 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no need t do a burn out. On stock tires it might even hurt the time. I doubt you'll be spinning at all.
Avoid the wet box, go around it. You have to ace the reaction times really.

Take out dead weight, 5 gallons of best gas you can get, traction off, sport mode on. Windows closed and have the lights / ac off if not off already.
Other than that there is not much left to do. Pop the hood open in between runs to cool the engine down as much as possible.

You can also max out the tire pressure up front for less rolling resistance. If you get wheel spin. You can try lowering pressure out back so it hooks better.

Good luck. Wish there was a track near me. I used to race at English town Nj... I'd go the if I was closer, but these days I'm too old to drive 3 hours to the track to beat the crap out of the car.

I,was under the I,pressing these cars run 14.2.
Old 06-02-15, 10:23 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Tec80 - I've never driven a car down a dragstrip that actually needed a burnout. I'm certain the LS will not. They put so much sticky stuff down, and it will be hot out at this time of year, spinning out will not be an issue.

Even my RX-7 needed no burnout. The RX-7 was fine right off the line, but there was a time or two that it "changed lanes" when engaging 2nd gear. Regardless, I'm not serious enough for a burnout anyway!
Old 06-02-15, 10:31 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
There is no need t do a burn out. On stock tires it might even hurt the time. I doubt you'll be spinning at all.
Avoid the wet box, go around it. You have to ace the reaction times really.

Take out dead weight, 5 gallons of best gas you can get, traction off, sport mode on. Windows closed and have the lights / ac off if not off already.
Other than that there is not much left to do. Pop the hood open in between runs to cool the engine down as much as possible.

You can also max out the tire pressure up front for less rolling resistance. If you get wheel spin. You can try lowering pressure out back so it hooks better.

Good luck. Wish there was a track near me. I used to race at English town Nj... I'd go the if I was closer, but these days I'm too old to drive 3 hours to the track to beat the crap out of the car.

I,was under the I,pressing these cars run 14.2.
1. Unless you're actually racing against someone, reaction time doesn't matter. Your time does not start until you cross the beam.
2. You shouldn't have the AC on to begin with. It will be dripping water and many tracks will yell at you for that.
3. Cooling off the engine may be useless. My fastest times are usually when hot-lapping the car without stopping. It certainly doesn't matter on a low-performance engine like the LS has.
4. You should do a short wheelspin to scrub the tires. Only a few revolutions are necessary. Lower the tire pressure as needed to prevent wheelspin with TC completely off(if this setting exists).
5. Find out what launches the car best, whether it is launching from idle or if giving it some throttle against the brake launches it better. You'll be able to tell by your 60ft times and if your transmission decides to do wonky things. My C6 wouldn't stand for stall-braking and would pretty much immediately shift to second, then shift down to first and spin the tires, and re-upshift. And paddle shifters were slower, so it is all about finding out what your car is okay with and runs faster with.
6. With air suspension settings, you need to find out which mode allows for the best front-to-rear weight transfer to give you a better launch.
7. You can try to dump weight, like the spare tire, but realize that it is an insignificant amount of weight from a 5,000lb car and you may actually lose rear traction because of it. I would leave it in.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile run LS460L