LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 - and all Lexus - Spark Plug Change Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 07:42 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
FWIW, prying the engine away from the frame did not leave any marks or damage anything and the amount of prying for those one or two plugs is minimal (maybe a 1/4"). Very little effort or force is required.

Good to have an alternative though.
That might be the case for some but it was not the case for me. When I tried this, I quickly realized that I will need to exert a fairly large amount of force to move the engine away enough to get the plug out. I don't know if that had something to do with the AWD configuration, or stiffer engine mounts, or any other factor, but I simply didn't feel comfortable using such a crude method as I not only ran the risk of scarring the frame but also damaging the valve covers.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of taking alternate routes when they result in some kind of savings and lead to the same results with no side effects. But in the end, the time and effort spent trying to find a pry bar and attempting to avoid any damage to the car was considerably more than simply following Lexus' instructions.
Old 01-06-16, 07:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I don't know if that had something to do with the AWD configuration, or stiffer engine mounts,
Ahhh, that explains it. The AWD system would definitely play a role (axle shafts). Perhaps I'll go into the DIY and amend the info with your contribution.
Old 01-06-16, 08:08 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Ahhh, that explains it. The AWD system would definitely play a role (axle shafts). Perhaps I'll go into the DIY and amend the info with your contribution.
Yes Chris, you should definitely add that in to your excellent "DIY Spark Plug Replacement" thread. At least it gives some people another option.
Old 01-06-16, 08:35 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the information. I didnt realize that was an option. I probably still would have preyed the engine though. Not a big deal. I used a huge crow bar but I like the 2x4 suggestion even better. It does take a bit of force but wont hurt anything especially with a 2x4.
Old 01-06-16, 10:03 AM
philnshelb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Rather than prying the engine away from the frame, I would suggest what the manual says and removing the O-rings that are set within the cam covers around the spark plug tubes. This has two advantages. First, if you use a pry bar you will almost certainly put markings into the frame where you rest the bar. While this might not be a concern for some, I did not want my paint damaged. And second, it significantly eases your ability to get the plugs in and out, and provides added room for using the wrench extensions. In total, I would say it adds an extra 5 minutes of work to the overall process, so really not even a factor.
Is this how you did it? If so did you not have to use some method of force? Removing the o rings did allow some space but I found it useful and taped the end of an already capped pry bar further although it may not have been necessary I wrapped foam pipe insulation on the long portion that would come into contact with the fender side. My result was minimul indication if any something had occured. I can admit my excessive OCD/perfectionist manner interferes with most peoples logic, having said that "i am satisfied with my care" on this job and when 120,000 miles rolls around again hopefully it will again only cost me my time and the OEM plugs for $89.00 off ebay.
Old 01-06-16, 11:48 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

My wife drove out in her 4 runner and calls me right away. Theres a shiny wrench in the middle of the street is it yours? Thank you, thats the wrench I dropped and couldnt find. I pulled the skid plates off even and nothing. Seems it fell out of its mystery hiding place when I drove off this morning.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (07-06-17)
Old 01-06-16, 01:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

That's funny! Anyone who has worked on their car can relate.

BTW, she didn't happen to find a 6" vise grip did she? I can't find mine.
Old 01-06-16, 07:57 PM
philnshelb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My wife drove out in her 4 runner and calls me right away. Theres a shiny wrench in the middle of the street is it yours? Thank you, thats the wrench I dropped and couldnt find. I pulled the skid plates off even and nothing. Seems it fell out of its mystery hiding place when I drove off this morning.
. Absolutely awesome, one that you got your wrench back and two for your wife who recognized one to be yours in the road. My wife is obviously the love of my life I know this to be true although also true is she wants nothing to do with tools
Old 01-07-16, 07:49 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plugs at 117k miles

2007ls at 117k miles

These plugs looked pretty good an could have gone another 20 to 30k. Changing your plugs at 60k is a waste of time and money. My next replacement will be at 240k.
Old 01-08-16, 12:10 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris07ls

2007ls at 117k miles

These plugs looked pretty good an could have gone another 20 to 30k. Changing your plugs at 60k is a waste of time and money. My next replacement will be at 240k.
I totally agree. I just did mine early for my entertainment.
Old 01-08-16, 11:23 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I totally agree. I just did mine early for my entertainment.
Noted.
Old 01-08-16, 01:59 PM
philnshelb
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=hfahmy;8236795]If you have changed your spark plugs, did you experience smoother idle/quieter engine?

I have 2008 LWB with 48K miles and hoping that changing spark plug will help improve idle and engine noise, specially at cold startup.

Thanks in advance for any help![/QUOTE

I feel our cars are very quiet to start with, exactly what type of noise are you referring to? I have about 1000 miles since changing mine, no audible difference but a slight notice of better acceleration ease, mind you I am not making a HP gain but I do notice smoother acceleration up from an already smooth eng. My air filters are only a few months old and this car only sees highway use. When I got the car I made a slight alteration to the air intake box by removing the baffling and used a dremmal tool than sanded out the inside area with course up to 1000grit. I also removed the sensors from the air intake tubing and used MAF cleaner on them let air dry then reinstalled

**your car doesnt have alot of miles, are you hearing noise at idle or while accelerating? *Our cars factory intakes are restrictive for a number of reasons but a biproduct should be a very quiet engine bay, Have you tried removing the throttle body and cleaning the butterfly and area from both sides with carb or intake cleaner of your choice. *
Old 01-08-16, 09:08 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=philnshelb;9315138]
Originally Posted by hfahmy
If you have changed your spark plugs, did you experience smoother idle/quieter engine?

I have 2008 LWB with 48K miles and hoping that changing spark plug will help improve idle and engine noise, specially at cold startup.

Thanks in advance for any help![/QUOTE

I feel our cars are very quiet to start with, exactly what type of noise are you referring to? I have about 1000 miles since changing mine, no audible difference but a slight notice of better acceleration ease, mind you I am not making a HP gain but I do notice smoother acceleration up from an already smooth eng. My air filters are only a few months old and this car only sees highway use. When I got the car I made a slight alteration to the air intake box by removing the baffling and used a dremmal tool than sanded out the inside area with course up to 1000grit. I also removed the sensors from the air intake tubing and used MAF cleaner on them let air dry then reinstalled

**your car doesnt have alot of miles, are you hearing noise at idle or while accelerating? *Our cars factory intakes are restrictive for a number of reasons but a biproduct should be a very quiet engine bay, Have you tried removing the throttle body and cleaning the butterfly and area from both sides with carb or intake cleaner of your choice. *
I don't know if there's anything wrong with your car but new plugs aren't going to change anything. Pour some techtron in the gas. That will give you a much easier cheaper placebo affect. What I would do.
Old 01-11-16, 07:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by philnshelb
Is this how you did it? If so did you not have to use some method of force? Removing the o rings did allow some space but I found it useful and taped the end of an already capped pry bar further although it may not have been necessary I wrapped foam pipe insulation on the long portion that would come into contact with the fender side. My result was minimul indication if any something had occured. I can admit my excessive OCD/perfectionist manner interferes with most peoples logic, having said that "i am satisfied with my care" on this job and when 120,000 miles rolls around again hopefully it will again only cost me my time and the OEM plugs for $89.00 off ebay.
Phil, I am sorry but I am not sure I understand your question.
Old 01-11-16, 11:46 AM
philnshelb
Driver School Candidate

Default plug removal method

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Phil, I am sorry but I am not sure I understand your question.
Oh sorry, when you changed your plugs did you have to move the engine in order to get the coils out?

Quick Reply: LS460 - and all Lexus - Spark Plug Change Intervals