LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fog light Mod..... (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 05:52 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I did this exact same mod to my old Dodge Ram (still have it) and my Corolla (still have it), but in a MUCH simpler way. I'm going to check to see if I can do it that way with the LS. It is NOTHING compared to the wiring that is done here. Exact same behavior. Actually, my Corolla is the exact same way. I think my truck has to at least have the parking lights on to activate the fogs. But both can run the fogs with the high beams. And the Corolla can additionally run the fogs any time the ignition switch is on. I'll check on this in the next couple days.
You'll quickly release why the LS costs 4x more than a Corolla...the wiring and computer systems on this car are no joke. I'll root for your success but I am pretty sure you'll come back with a sentence like "wow..I didn't think it would be hard to figure out but....."

Good luck
Old 01-21-15, 07:02 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
You'll quickly release why the LS costs 4x more than a Corolla...the wiring and computer systems on this car are no joke. I'll root for your success but I am pretty sure you'll come back with a sentence like "wow..I didn't think it would be hard to figure out but....."

Good luck
I spent 12 years working as a design engineer for 2 OEMs. One being Toyota. I'm familiar with the level of complexity. My thinking is outside of that box ... that doesn't mean my idea will work. It did on my truck. But things have come a long way since then. We'll see when I get the time to mess with it. Maybe tomorrow night. But it won't be exactly like yours. If my idea works, at least the parking lights would have to be on.
Old 01-21-15, 08:19 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I spent 12 years working as a design engineer for 2 OEMs. One being Toyota. I'm familiar with the level of complexity. My thinking is outside of that box ... that doesn't mean my idea will work. It did on my truck. But things have come a long way since then. We'll see when I get the time to mess with it. Maybe tomorrow night. But it won't be exactly like yours. If my idea works, at least the parking lights would have to be on.
That's good stuff. You definitely have some insight so hopefully you'll crack the code. I know Shibumi1 has spent an extensive amount of time in the LS wiring for various projects and for the setup to work like mine and his requires the solution Shibumi stated earlier in this thread. Our fog light mod is "The Lexus" of fog mods. All the benefits of true independent fogs with no other lights needing to be on, only work in on position, uses OEM switch on turn signal stalk, and hidden second switch to default to OEM functionality when desired. But I think many folks would settle for a solution that may require at least the park lights to be on, so I'm sure folks are watching to see your results. Like I said, I'm rooting for your success !!!
Old 01-22-15, 07:15 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Mine would use the stalk ring switch also. I have only removed the two passenger side plastics under the hood, to mess with and charge the battery. I have a battery charger (Optima brand) that indicates the status of the battery. Although I think it is a bit gimmicky. I put the battery charger on the battery to see if it indicated anything abnormal because the Beverly Hills dealer I had the car inspected at acted like the battery was on it's death bed. I asked him, will it get me home. And he said yes, so I figured I would deal with it later. The charger indicates the battery is OK. So, just as I figured as with any dealer, they were looking for an up-sale.

I digressed, I seem to do that. The point is, I was about to ask where the fuse box(es) is (are). I don't have my car at work today, and it occured to me, to look on Lexus Drivers. Man, there's fuse boxes all over that car! And right where I was getting to the battery ... but I didn't notice therm.

Now the question is: Where can I find a schematic to identify the circuits in each fuse box. You know, like the schematic on the fuse box lid. The owner's manual page I found didn't zoom in enough to read the fuse box lid. I'll keep looking through the manuals on Lexus Drivers. I've about got myself talked into doing something else tonight.

7milesout
Old 01-22-15, 07:58 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often thought there is a much simpler way to do this as it's possible on similar years Toyota Tundras (the headlight/fog switch/function characteristics seem to be identical). The mod on those is just a simple jumper wire which I bet is possible, I just don't know the specifics of the fog wiring harness diagram under the dash for the LS.

The mod gives functionality of the fogs anytime the parking, low beam or high beams are on and allows you to easily return the functionality to stock if you wish.

I'll post the mod and another method with completely independent fogs (pdf attached...don't laugh that it was designed by "Eddie" haha) for the Tundra here in hopes that it might help your research.

I'd bet a steak something very similar is possible in the 07-08 LS... I'm just not electrically inclined enough to know.

I wish you luck in your research and please keep us posted on the results!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FogLightsEddieV1.pdf (183.7 KB, 997 views)
File Type: pdf
FogLightsV3.pdf (345.3 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by jbrittmart; 01-22-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 11:49 AM
7milesout
Advanced

I'm a mechanical engineer. And my ability to wire something up in the car that's in addition to the original equipment is based on the following principal. If I attach a wire to something, or bump a wire to something, and I notice a small arc or a fuse blows, attach the wire to something else, and/or don't bump that wire against that piece of metal again.

I'm not saying what my way of doing this is ... just yet. I'm not prepared to be laughed at ... yet. If I find it is an impossibility (not possible to be done like my truck), then I'll tell you guys what my idea was, and THEN you can laugh.
Old 01-22-15, 05:18 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Default Failure ... so far.

I'm looking for a fog light relay. What's strange is when the headlights are switched to high beam I can hear a relay clicking. But it sounds like the relay is UNDER the fuse box. The fuse box I'm referring to is the long skinny one in front of the strut tower on the passenger side.

I don't believe the one I'm hearing is the one I'm after. What I'm hearing is simply the high beam relay. And when I have the low beams on, and (have my son) switch on/off the fog lights, I hear no relay. That may not mean there is not one, but it could mean that. Enlighten me.

Also, there are 3 blue relays in the front most of this fuse box that are not identified. Can anyone with a service manual tell me what these are?. Those 3 blue ones, and one more right there with it are NOT the relay I'm hearing with the high beams (or so I believe). The relay I'm hearing is about mid-way of that fuse box, and sounds UNDER it. I'm going to save this here and edit it later. I'm going to go out and pull those blue relays and see if they are related to the fog lights.

ON EDIT: I pulled a couple of the blue relays out then realized I could remove a bigger section of that fuse box cover. So I did, then noticed there are 4 blue relays and I pulled them all out. Checking after each one to see if it affected the fog lights, they did not. Then I thought to check under that bigger section of cover, and it identified those relays and a few more in the area. Nothing related to fog lights. So I put the 4 blue relays back in. Messed around a bit more, and that's where it sits. Oh, and I pulled the plastic off in front of the gray engine cover so I could reach down and open another box that was UNDER the fuse box where it seemed the relay noise was coming from. Nothing under that box cover except for 2 places where relays could go. Under that cover it identified those circuits too ... not fog light related. So there it sits, I left all the plastics off, and the fuse boxes open in case someone here who's smarter than I can lead me into something. So I don't have to take all those clips off again (those things are FUN!). I don't need or want to drive it for a few days, so it can sit there taken apart while we either mull this over, or figure it out.

For right now, all I want to know is: 1. Is there a fog light relay? And 2) if so, where is it?

7milesout

Last edited by 7milesout; 01-22-15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 09:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm looking for a fog light relay.

For right now, all I want to know is: 1. Is there a fog light relay? And 2) if so, where is it?

7milesout
That relay is in the relay block in Engine Bay Fuse panel #2. That's the one on the passenger side at the very front.
Old 01-23-15, 10:37 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadfrog
That relay is in the relay block in Engine Bay Fuse panel #2. That's the one on the passenger side at the very front.
From memory, I pulled that cover and I don't recall exactly what I saw last night, but what I remember is there not being relays in that location, just fuses. Can you identify the location of the relay in that box? And, the fuse box you're referring to is in front of what I described with the 4 blue relays, right?

Thanks!

7milesout
Old 01-23-15, 11:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

From memory, I pulled that cover and I don't recall exactly what I saw last night, but what I remember is there not being relays in that location, just fuses. Can you identify the location of the relay in that box? And, the fuse box you're referring to is in front of what I described with the 4 blue relays, right?

Thanks!

7milesout
I wish I could help better. From what I can see in the diagram, the relay is in "engine #2 relay block" which is the one I described.

Old 01-23-15, 05:16 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The relays maybe UNDER the fuse box..so it may need to be removed and separated to access them...
Old 01-23-15, 05:43 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Roadfrog - I'm sorry to say, that doesn't look like any of the fuse boxes that I've opened. It looks promising because what you've posted seems to indicate there is a fog relay. I've found the fuse, but I don't care about the fuse. I've looked through all the fuse boxes and turned my head every angle imaginable ... and squinted a lot. But that's not recognizable to me.

Will you a) confirm that's a 460. Maybe that's for the 600 and that's why I can't find it. And b) if it is for the 460, see if you can find some other reference that may locate it.

Thanks.

7milesout
Old 01-23-15, 05:47 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
The relays maybe UNDER the fuse box..so it may need to be removed and separated to access them...
As I noted above, that relay sound did sound like it was under the fuse box. But I don't know how to remove that fuse box. And if I figure it out, it sounds like it would be a good idea to remove the negative battery terminal from the post, huh?

Roadfrog - is there any reference or instructions on accessing that relay box?
Old 01-24-15, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As I noted above, that relay sound did sound like it was under the fuse box. But I don't know how to remove that fuse box. And if I figure it out, it sounds like it would be a good idea to remove the negative battery terminal from the post, huh?

Roadfrog - is there any reference or instructions on accessing that relay box?
That is 100% the diagram for an LS460. That box if I recall correctly, has a another section/box within it that has the relays and some other fuses.

Try that first.

Sounds like you could benefit from subscribing to Alldatadiy.com It really is a bargain and very useful. I think it's about 10 dollars a year, with a dizzying amount of technical information, electrical diagrams, etc.
Old 01-24-15, 07:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Here's another diagram:

Quick Reply: Fog light Mod..... (finally)