LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Swaps

Old 09-12-15, 07:57 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think it would be crazy to think you could just bolt the top end of the 460 engine, to the bottom of the other engine and think the computer will just compensate for the added stroke and compression. I imagine the computerr would wonder why more air is going into the engine...add more fuel to compensate...probably not run right...throw a light...start to misfire...burn a valve...break a connecting rod, etc, etc, etc.

At least that's what I think would happen.
Old 09-12-15, 08:18 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think PeachyKeen is onto something. There is a 5.0 in the RC with the 8 speed. AMG and F are not industrial "ricers". PeachyKeen has some good ideas and they should be respected.
Old 09-12-15, 08:22 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think it would be crazy to think you could just bolt the top end of the 460 engine, to the bottom of the other engine and think the computer will just compensate for the added stroke and compression. I imagine the computerr would wonder why more air is going into the engine...add more fuel to compensate...probably not run right...throw a light...start to misfire...burn a valve...break a connecting rod, etc, etc, etc.

At least that's what I think would happen.
Agreed. I have been around forms along time and there is always people that dream up the most expensive option for the sake of running the fastest quarter mile. If you throw enough money at something nothing is impossible for any car. If you want fast just move on to a faster car it's easier and cheaper.
Old 09-12-15, 01:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Agreed. I have been around forms along time and there is always people that dream up the most expensive option for the sake of running the fastest quarter mile. If you throw enough money at something nothing is impossible for any car. If you want fast just move on to a faster car it's easier and cheaper.
True, if you have enough money you can turn the car into a helicopter, but it would be easier - and cheaper - to just buy the helicopter.
Old 09-12-15, 01:39 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
True, if you have enough money you can turn the car into a helicopter, but it would be easier - and cheaper - to just buy the helicopter.
More reliable as well. The only thing that would impress me is an all electric LS 460. Anything short of that is so 2007 engine swap fantasy.
Old 09-13-15, 06:47 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything is doable with the right amount of money thrown at it. You are asking questions that the majority of LS owners have not even considered doing to their cars. Even with more powerful engine under the hood what are you trying to accomplish? The LS460 is not a light weight nimble tuner car. It's a luxury flagship model with no intentions to being a fast super sedan.

The amount of money, time & energy needed to take on a project is not worth the efforts. Put your money where it will give you a greater return. If you want a faster car buy a faster car. If you plan on going the supercharged route do it. Just remember that monkeing around with a N/A engine and slapping forced induction onto it requires a proper tune. It will have a decreased lifespan & most likely cost you way more money than you originally planned to spend. Budget a replacement engine cost when doing this. If you don't have the funds stop before you end up with an expensive paper weight.
Old 09-14-15, 06:53 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Just take the proven route.

Old 09-14-15, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I was actually going to cut the body off of mine and weld it to a Suburban frame. That way I'll have great ground clearance and can tow my Winnebago.

I wonder if that will void my warranty?
Old 09-14-15, 04:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It would possibly give you 2hp up top and a loss of torque down low. It's the HKS super charger or nothing. Why because it's the only plug and play part that is available and there is no other support for this car.
Precisely. But keep in mind that, that VERY sexy HKS is gonna set you back the equivalent of a couple of brand new, domestic sub-compacts.
Old 09-14-15, 07:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Precisely. But keep in mind that, that VERY sexy HKS is gonna set you back the equivalent of a couple of brand new, domestic sub-compacts.
Still far cheaper and logical. It also calls out the bluff of the fantasy builders. All of the fame none of the fortune. Car sitting on jack stands only to be sold as a project to some other disillusioned soul.
I hate the nitrous oxide camp but oddly I cannot deny that they actually have a point.
Old 09-15-15, 02:44 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only alternative that even makes conceptual sense is the 2UR-GSE. The 3UR is not tuned for refinement or power, just for low-end torque, and would be a definite step down from the factory engine.

But I'm with some of the others in the thread -- I'm at a loss for why anyone would be thinking about an LS as a good candidate for an engine swap. It's a big, refined, soft luxury sedan. There are cars that would respond far better to cheaper go-fast modifications.