LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AGM Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 03:16 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AGM Battery?

My 07 is going to need a battery...has anyone found a AGM to fit our cars. I want to replace the stock lead acid.

I was looking a while back and non where made.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-12, 07:44 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Hi Gary,

It is nice to hear from you.

There seems to be lots of sources for Size 24 (the size that fits an LS460) Aborbed Glass Mat batteries on the Internet. Just do a Google search for "AGM Battery".

Here is a source: http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/d...ata_Sheets.pdf

For those of you who want to know more about AGM Battery technology, check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
Old 01-08-12, 08:40 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what the point of this type of battery for this application? 2x the price, more sensitive to high temp, were not mounting it upside down or anything so curious as to why the desire to install one? Adding water is pretty simple.
Old 01-08-12, 08:58 PM
snoylekim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there's a Diehard and an Autozone Duralast Platinum that will fit .. they are pricey , and I'm told they can be sensitive to overcharging .. I went with the lead acid, figuring if it was good enough for OEM, it's good enough as a replacement .. your call ..
Old 01-08-12, 10:12 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From their website:

Part Number: 25 (8025-160)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

Part Number: 35 (8020-164)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 35; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

optima battery selector/
Old 01-09-12, 03:22 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I love optima red top batteries! I like the deep cycle yellow tops also, especially if you are running beats in the trunk
Old 01-09-12, 09:17 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Default Why or Why NOT use an AGM Battery ?

AGM ADVANTAGES:

All AGM batteries have enhancements over flooded lead acid batteries:
Purer lead in the plates, as each plate no longer needs to support its own weight, due to the sandwich construction with AGM matting. Traditional cells must support their own weight in the bath of acid.
Fluid retention – un-spillable
High specific power or power density, holding roughly 1.5x the AH capacity of flooded batteries due to purer lead[citation needed]
Low internal resistance allowing them to be charged and discharged quite rapidly
Depth of discharge for optimal performance is up to 80% while flooded batteries can only be rated up to 50% depth of discharge
Water conservation – never requires addition of water
Acid encapsulation in the matting
Operation well below 0°F or −18 °C.
Availability of UL, DOT, CE, Coast Guard, and Mil-Spec approved types
Vibration resistance due to the sandwich construction.

AGM DISADVANTAGES:
Cost. AGM automobile batteries for example, are typically about twice the price of flooded-cell batteries in a given BCI size group.
AGM batteries do not tolerate overcharging. Overcharging dissociates the water in the electrolyte, which is unable to be replaced, leading to premature failure.

So why are there AGM batteries ? There were designed for rugged applications. Four come to mind immediately: Motorcycles, 4-Wheelers, PWC's (Jet Skiis), and Boating.

Do you "need" one in a normal auto application ? Actually NO. Many people will tell you all about their expensive battery, more in mind to justify why they spent all of their hard-earned cash. But QUALITY lead-cel batteries function just fine in automobiles.

And yes, I AM aware that the 5 series BMWs from March 2007 incorporate AGM batteries in conjunction with devices for recovering brake energy using regenerative braking and computer control to ensure the alternator charges the battery when the car is decelerating. Vehicles used in auto racing may use AGM batteries due to their vibration resistance.

1 last tip: Keep in mind one thing with auto batteries. Virtually ALL of the lead-cel batteries you might buy today are all made by Johnson Controls. A wonderful AMERICAN company. That means those from Interstate Battery, Walmart, SamsClub, AutoZone, Pep Boys, Sears, Costco.and a lot more brand names.

Today, Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private-label, lead-acid automotive batteries in the world. They also make original equipment batteries for automakers including DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

But keep in mind 1 thing: When you go to a Lexus dealer, they are as likely to put in an Interstate as anything else. And CCA for CCA, an EvertStart battery from WalMart is virtually the same as the Interstate.

So, purchasing a QUALITY lead cel battery, with at least the recommeded CCA capabilities for your Lexus, with a decent Warranty (Check out the EverStart warranties !), and you're all set, and then you can spend the difference in quality wax products for your Lexus, or a nice dinner for your Bride.

Best Wishes to all .........

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 01-09-12 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-25-18)
Old 01-09-12, 09:34 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Default OPTIMA Batteries ..... 1 last thought .....

An OPTIMA battery is not a "gel" battery nor regular flooded lead-acid battery.

An OPTIMA is a Spiralcell AGM battery.

Optimas are probably the highest quality AGM batteries conveniently available today. And yet they DO differ from conventional AGM batteries, such as those that are used in jet skiis, etc.

Expensive to purchase, but many owners find their capabilities well-worth the added expense.

You can locate OPTIMA's using AMAZON and save a bunch of $ AND get FREE SHIPPING !
Hope this helps someone.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 01-09-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 11:33 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Optima batteries are also made by Johnson Controls
Old 01-09-12, 02:05 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback.

We have batteries in our cars now you have to unscrew a cap and add distilled water, very archaic to me. The batteries cranking amps are great and the life is also great. If you guys have never checked the battery water levels better get out there and check them becuase you're probably low.

Having a AGM glass matt battery is worthwhile because they are truly maintenance free and in most caes..not all, hold up much better in any condition.

I did a Google search and I did not find many and the ones I did find I wasn't sure they would fit. That seems to be the problem all along trying to get a a AGM battery to fit our cars.

I guess I wanted to see who actually replaced their battery, what they used and if they liked it.

For me personally the cost of maintenance is never an issue...realibilty is MUCH more important than money I spend on it.
Old 01-09-12, 02:14 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Hi Gary,

It is nice to hear from you.

There seems to be lots of sources for Size 24 (the size that fits an LS460) Aborbed Glass Mat batteries on the Internet. Just do a Google search for "AGM Battery".

Here is a source: http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/d...ata_Sheets.pdf

For those of you who want to know more about AGM Battery technology, check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
Thanks, those Trojan batteries may be the trick. I have them in my EZ-GO golf cart. $1000 to replace all of them.
Old 01-10-12, 04:15 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

By the way ...... LEXUS-branded batteries are made by Interstate for Lexus.
Which explains why I received an "Interstate" battery 2 weeks ago under warranty by my Lexus dealer.

Hope this also helps someone. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 01-11-12, 04:30 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey100
By the way ...... LEXUS-branded batteries are made by Interstate for Lexus.
Which explains why I received an "Interstate" battery 2 weeks ago under warranty by my Lexus dealer.

Hope this also helps someone. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
I had my dealer install a Lexus battery in my LS 460. They also told me it's an Interstate battery, but has the Lexus name on the battery...