LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS or Tesla Model S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 06:09 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS or Tesla Model S?

While my 2007 LS is still running great, it's getting time to start looking at "what next?".

When it came out, the 2007 LS had multiple technology breakthroughs (parking assistance, large display, HDD music, ...). But other models have caught up and surpassed the LS. Will the new model re-establish the leadership of the LS model over its competition?

On the other hand, the new Tesla Model S looks very interesting. Of course, they are still finalizing the design of the car - so it's hard to be sure what they will end up when they go into production later this year. But what they are showing looks very promising - a number of areas where they have some interesting technology - plus all-electric with a 300 mile range and performance with 0-60 in 4.4 or 5.6 seconds.

The projected cost of ownership of the two models (based on vehicle cost and annual fuel costs) is about the same - though the maintenance costs on the Tesla may be lower, since the electric motors replacing the engine, transmission and exhaust system are rated for 500,000 miles and probably will not need as much maintenance as a gas engine.

Hopefully the new LS will be coming out late this year - and that we'll start getting more details soon...
Old 01-06-12, 08:59 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a friend had to return his tesla roadster sport because he told me he couldn't get anywhere near close to the advertised range unless he used every hypermiling trick in the book. just be wary that the range may not be as good as advertised, and that infrastructure is still pretty lacking, even here in los angeles. the city he lives in installed 2 chargers downtown, but the plugs were incompatible with his car hahaha.

if you do any amount of long distance driving, i'd reconsider getting a fully electric car. just my 2c.
Old 01-06-12, 11:13 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

If you can get your name on the list, HELL YES

Feel bad for the suckers who are afraid to try new things, they can keep buying their Model T's....
Old 01-06-12, 02:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I wouldnt touch the Tesla . Its a weak company that may go under sooner than later and have had dismal sales and reliability with the roadster. I have a gentleman in my neighborhood who has a bright orange one. I asked him about the car once when I ran into him at the mailboxes and he told me " Its fun, but a rip off....Its a 90K weekend car". Buy the LS and drop it on some 22" wheels and you will be golden
Old 01-07-12, 03:48 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

As a 2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 owner and a Lexus LS 600hL owner I have a good understanding of both cars. I will be replacing my Lexus 600hL with a Tesla Model S Signature Sport this summer (I'm production #215). The Roadster has been a very fast and fun car and I also love the LS. Yes, the Roadster was $120K but that is to be expected with any new technology. The first cell phones cost $2K and weighed 10lbs, the first DVD players were $5K, etc.

Tesla has been very smart on how they came to market. Their first car, the Roadster, was a high priced low volume hand made model to prove the technology worked. The second model, the Model S, is a mid priced medium volume model designed to compete middle market segment (BMW 5, Lexus GS, Mercedes E). Their next car will be a low price high volume car (ie. Nissan Leaf).

As for the comments about the reliability and the range of the current Roadster I can answer both of those. You can easily get the stated 245 mile range if you drive conservatively on the freeway (60-65). If you have fun and go 85 you will not get 245 miles... but that is to be expected. This is true for a gas car as well. The faster you go over 55 the more energy you use pushing air out of the way. It's basic physics. The Roaster has been very reliable but as a new car it has had a few new car issues. Tesla service has been exceptionally attentive to fixing any issues and since the car is software controlled they have listened to customers and have made many firmware updates to add new features over the past 2.5 years.

So the simple answer to your question of if you should replace your LS with a Model S is yes. Although you will lose some luxury features on the Model S that the Lexus has (self parking, laser cruise control, cooled seats, etc), you will get wickedly fast modern electric car that you can "fill up" in your garage, talk to and get status info via your cell phone, have the best center of gravity of any car on the market, have a 17" touchscreen to control everything and never have to buy another drop of foreign oil again!
Old 01-10-12, 09:07 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have a GS350 and 2013 Model S. Can't wait!
Old 01-10-12, 11:45 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwentyTen
I will have a GS350 and 2013 Model S. Can't wait!
Cool. If you haven't already done so you should add your reservation number to the Tesla Model S world map

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=295135

Also make sure to join the TeslaMotorsClub.com and keep up on the progress of everything Tesla.
Old 01-10-12, 08:29 PM
Dema
Pole Position

When some prospect customer came in our parking lot on Tesla, our entire company with phone cameras in hand got out to take a pic of this beautiful car. Unless you want so much attention do not touch tesla.
Old 05-16-15, 08:02 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Default The same question today?

Let's fast forward today where this question is even more popular and relevant.

What do we think folks would respond now?
Old 05-16-15, 08:32 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Great debate. Or it was 3+ years ago. As a current owner of a 2011 LS460, I would take the tesla. I sure love my LS, but I would only trade it for the tesla.
Old 05-16-15, 08:38 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They're 2 different cars. This like an apples to oranges comparison.
The Model S should be compared to the GS/5-Series/A6/E-Class.
But lets be honest, many of us would take the chance to jump on a Model S. I know I would.

Last edited by enoch861; 05-16-15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 08:53 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As fun as it looks, I would only trade my LS in for another LS, or something fast like a GTR

Last edited by greg3852; 05-17-15 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 11:10 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't care for the interior of the Tesla at all, or the exterior for that matter. I'd much prefer a new S-Class.
Old 05-17-15, 12:04 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I don't care for the interior of the Tesla at all, or the exterior for that matter. I'd much prefer a new S-Class.
"And the ambient lighting is adjustable over a range of seven colors — including pink and purple."
All the reason to get a S550.
Old 05-17-15, 12:25 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
"And the ambient lighting is adjustable over a range of seven colors — including pink and purple."
All the reason to get a S550.
Agreed.
Honestly, I got so used to having Ambient Lighting in my A6, it just feels weird not having it in the LS.

Quick Reply: New LS or Tesla Model S?