LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS or Tesla Model S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 12:26 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer Maserati to Jags.
Old 05-23-15, 08:32 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Had a work friend recently go from a 2011 LS460 to a new Tesla S.

Liked the Tesla
- quieter (significantly he says, even over an already quiet LS)
- gets more looks
- awesome tech features

Missed the LS due to
- absolute luxury (trim, quality of interior)
- more comfortable seating
- dealer experience
Old 05-23-15, 09:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
I prefer Maserati to Jags.
Unless you're concerned about reliability. Both are horrendous, but the Jag would be more reliable and cheaper to run. As sexy as the Maz sounds, I'm pretty sure the exhaust note would grow tiring.

They both sure LOOK nice though...and unique. There's no mistaking a Jag or Maserati for anything else. Whereas, the LS could be.
Old 05-23-15, 03:18 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Unless you're concerned about reliability. Both are horrendous, but the Jag would be more reliable and cheaper to run. As sexy as the Maz sounds, I'm pretty sure the exhaust note would grow tiring.

They both sure LOOK nice though...and unique. There's no mistaking a Jag or Maserati for anything else. Whereas, the LS could be.
A Maserati makes a Jag look reliable is an understatement.
I cant overlook the fact that you can get that flat crank V8 in a luxury car which sounds incredible for almost nothing once it depreciates like a rock.
Old 05-30-15, 06:44 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rice quality

Which is smoother?
Old 05-30-15, 06:48 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another plus is you cannot screw up a spark plug change on a Tesla. Too soon?
Old 05-31-15, 10:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Another plus is you cannot screw up a spark plug change on a Tesla. Too soon?
Bwahahaha!! Awesome.
Old 05-31-15, 10:41 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hung out at the tesla retail store for about an hour yesterday. Really put my hands on the car to compare fit and finish. The inside really felt similar to Cadillac. Nice but not on par with ultra luxury market. And talking with the guys there, they are not focusing on thats sales stratigy. They are also coming out with a cross over vehicle and a small more affordable car. While I still stand behind my comment, I would rather have a model S over a LS, they are for completely different reasons.
Old 05-31-15, 10:20 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also sat inside a Tesla model S and I didn't like it. Doors feel hollow, interior is much inferior on feel and material quality than my already old '07 LS and that gigantic iPad looking thing in the center wasn't very appealing to me. I'm not old, but I'm not in my 20s anymore either, there is too much fuss and buzz about Tesla, but if I want to make sure I get to my destination, I take the LS. Better quality, feels heavier (a positive in my book for luxury) and also feels more "substantial" on everything you touch, doors closing, etc... Doesn't feel like a tin can at all.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 05-31-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 10:40 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I also sat inside a Tesla model S and I didn't like it. Doors feel hollow, interior is much inferior on feel and material quality than my already old '07 LS and that gigantic iPad looking thing in the center wasn't very appealing to me. I'm not old, but I'm not in my 20s anymore either, there is too much fuss and buzz about Tesla, but if I want to make sure I get to my destination, I take the LS. Better quality, feels heavier (a positive in my book for luxury) and also feels more "substantial" on everything you touch, doors closing, etc... Doesn't feel like a tin can at all.
we need to compare the seats when the executive class cars come out for tesla. (you can see on the website) which also utilizes a newer/nicer seat/interior design. the 85D also has a nicer longer range. my real complaints are size (the model s is about the size of a GS) and the fact that EVERYTHING has to be done from the big screen up front. I mean why not an iPad mini size screen in the back to run a/c and heated seats etc...
Old 06-04-15, 04:33 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be weary of purchasing a Tesla at the moment. The range isn't that great, electricity is pretty high so I don't know how much you'd actually be saving over gas, if you do not install a charge station in your house it takes 14 hours to fully charge the car, a charge station runs around $1500 CAD, you have to run a 220 Volt line into your garage, I don't like the seats and the dash materials, there aren't many charging station around as yet.

I really liked the Fiskar Karma, that's a car I wanted to purchase since I saw it, look what happened to them. The company went under and sales for used cars are not so good. Nobody wants them.
Old 06-04-15, 09:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The Fisker is an entirely different situation than Tesla. Tesla is much more robust and they have a better product. The Fisker was a hybrid remember.

Sat in a Tesla at the mall the other day, interior is a HUGE downgrade from my LS from a material and styling standpoint. I'm not a buyer...yet.
Old 06-05-15, 12:14 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tesla interior is just an embarrassment ! The screen is a ridiculous size and looks like its just been jammed into the dash . Seats are really cheap and look like something from an old 60 s English car ...the general materials are very very ordinary. Doesn't hold a candle to a Lexus and couldn't hope to as its a new company with zero experience manufacturing cars . Resale will likely be diabolical too
Old 06-05-15, 01:59 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

My $.02... The MS (Tesla Model S) is a breakthrough vehicle, the first mass-market EV with a decent range and luxury touches not found in other EV's. Is it a luxury car? No, and there are some design omissions that an experienced car manufacturer would never have let occur, things like no rear cup holders or no center storage compartment.

The MS is still an astonishing technological achievement, people have said it's a blast to drive, and it's a very cool-looking sports sedan. The infrastructure (read: network of charging stations) is growing, and other innovative approaches to battery depletion, such as hot swapping, are being developed.

IMO, one of the most promising aspects of Tesla is the trickle-down effect to other auto makers. We could eventually see an LS-ev model.

Last edited by Gbp; 06-05-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree with Gbp's assessment...

Quick Reply: New LS or Tesla Model S?