LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

600h, 600h L wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 03:25 PM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600h, 600h L wind noise

Hi guys,

I am looking to get something a little different to my friends with their audi's and Mercs.
I want something quiet and comfortable for my motorway trips and the 600h seems to fit the bill.
As I am in the UK could anyone let me know from what VIN's Lexus cured the window wind noise problem on both the standard and long wheel base versions?

Looking forward to contributing properly once I have selected a car!

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-01-12, 03:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hi Mike! No worries for wind noise with the LS600h. They were manufactured after the wind noise issue was resolved. Also, the LS600h only comes in the long wheel base model.

Welcome, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-01-12, 04:33 PM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

Default UK models

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.

In the UK we had the 600h in both LWB and SWB version.

I have three kids so am looking for anything but a model with the relaxation pack.

The first models were here in 2007, so I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to avoid an older model with (ahem) a wind problem...

Regards

Mike
Old 01-01-12, 07:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff
Hi guys,

I am looking to get something a little different to my friends with their audi's and Mercs.
I want something quiet and comfortable for my motorway trips and the 600h seems to fit the bill.
As I am in the UK could anyone let me know from what VIN's Lexus cured the window wind noise problem on both the standard and long wheel base versions?

Looking forward to contributing properly once I have selected a car!

Thanks

Mike
The "Wind Noise" problem has been reported in 2007-2012 models of the LS460. There have also been reports of this problem in the LS600s. Reports have been in this forum and several other forums and have come from both the US and International sources. Current indications are that Lexus still does not understand this problem.

If you acquire an LS600 that has a "Wind Noise" problem check here for a possible solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 01-01-12, 09:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

In the UK we had the 600h in both LWB and SWB version.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'd probably consider buying one if they offered the SWB here.
Old 01-01-12, 09:17 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The "Wind Noise" problem has been reported in 2007-2012 models of the LS460. There have also been reports of this problem in the LS600s. Reports have been in this forum and several other forums and have come from both the US and International sources. Current indications are that Lexus still does not understand this problem.

If you acquire an LS600 that has a "Wind Noise" problem check here for a possible solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

Sheriff: Please don't let this potential problem delay you in your decision to purchase 1 of the finest autos made today. ALL autos, higher-end or not, have "their" problems - The Good News is that jmcraney's FIX is actually a REAL SOLUTION. It's not some backwoods, barn yard attempt. Jeff's solution makes the Lexus - IF YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM - whisper quiet. It costs far less than the petrol you'ld experience to visit your local U.K. Lexus dealer, only takes a little time, ALWAYS works, and you have the pride in knowing YOU did it.

The important point is you don't have to do anything unless you experience the symptom. The problem is NOT "universal" after some point in 2008. And, you might be interested that many people don't even know they have this "problem" unless someone points it out to therm.

So, Happy New Year to you and we can't wait ti learn of your new Lexus purchase.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 01-02-12, 01:25 AM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow! What a detailed write up...!

Thank you for the words of reassurance.

Next question...
There are three cars for sale (in my budget range) in the UK currently.

A 2008 SWB car with one previous owner and full lexus service history with 92k miles for sale at £21k
A 2008 SWB car with one previous owner with full Lexus history with 86 k miles for £23k - warranty is 6 months
A 2007 LWB car with one previous owner with full Lexus history with 60k miles for £25k - warranty unknown on this one but probably 6 months.

Which would be the better one to go for. Is the extended warranty worth having?

Is the mileage an issue on these cars?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-02-12, 02:05 AM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

One more thing...

I will be doing about 25k miles per year.

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-02-12, 06:32 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Hello and Good Morning: Or "afternoon" to you ..... Since I BELIEVE the numbers you posted above are KILOMETERS...... and NOT "U.S. miles" ....... and to be a bit like jmcraney and quote statistics: 1 kilometer = 0.621371192 mile.

Therefore, the 2007 LWB @ 60K "miles" is actually only 37,300 U.S. Miles.

I advise friends in the u.S. to buy the LOWEST mileage auto they can find at a reasonable price. The Good News is this particular Lexus is ALSO a LWB model - Highly desirable !

In my humble opinion, the first two you listed, while a newer year model, have Wayyyyyyyyy too many miles to be a "candidate." Of course, that's only some "Yanks" opinyun, and wut duz he no anyways ? -

Again, Good Luck and let us know how ya come out in a deal. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, Ga - U.S.
Old 01-02-12, 07:26 AM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

Default Miles in the UK

Morning Mikey,

We use miles over here too.

Not many 600h's over here on low mileage and reasonable cost.

So the last option looks like a good one?

Is warranty a huge issue with cars of this age?

Cheers for you help so far!

Mike
Old 01-02-12, 08:29 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Morning Mikey,

We use miles over here too.

Not many 600h's over here on low mileage and reasonable cost.

So the last option looks like a good one?

Is warranty a huge issue with cars of this age?

Cheers for you help so far!

Mike
In my humble opinion, it is. "Over there," do they offer "Certified Pre-Owned" (ie, CPO) cars ?
Even if for more $, I'ld look that way. You have no idea how expensive some Lexus repair parts are. And ya don't get many choices (ie, only Lexus-branded) for parts replacements. Not many After Market alternatives.

Take your time, and look around. This can become a very expensive decision if not studied thoroughly. Again, this is only my $ 0.02 worth, and that don't buy a lot today. Good Luck.
Mikey Lulejian - Crazy 'Yank" over in the U.S.

PS - The "other' alternative is to look at a different Lexus model - Where it CAN be purchased with lower mileage, and hopefully "CPO."
Old 01-04-12, 08:49 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No serious problems with my LS600h L here in the states. The only problems I have had is I had to bring it in twice for the same problem of the power door closer not closing all the time. The local Lexus dealer replaced the motor and hinge the first time. Solved the problem for awhile... About a year later, the problem happened again and they replaced the door seal. Solved the problem so far but it has only been a month or so.

My only other gripes are:
-The seat padding is still uncomfortable (replaced once per TSB). My LS430 was a much more comfortable seat.
-The console armrest has worn down and I hit the hard surface underneath. No TSB as far as I know but I want to get this taken cared of. (If anyone knows of a TSIB for the console armrest, please message me. I would appreciate the help.)-In the end, for a US$ 135K+ car, I expected better from Lexus. Still love it against MB or BMW though.

PS
I don't put many miles on my car. I think I put 7K miles or less a year.

Last edited by USLEX; 01-11-12 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 01:23 AM
Sheriff
Driver School Candidate

OK guys, well as i could not find a low mileage example within budget, i have opted for an interim option of a GS450h.

I will use this one for a few years and try and save a few quid to get a newer example 600H.

I collect it in a weeks time.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike
Old 01-17-12, 08:37 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

OK guys, well as i could not find a low mileage example within budget, i have opted for an interim option of a GS450h.

I will use this one for a few years and try and save a few quid to get a newer example 600H.

I collect it in a weeks time.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike
congratulations on your purchase, and enjoy it in good health!