LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: How do you feel about this deal if dealer wont lower the price?
Average deal
47.62%
Good deal
14.29%
Great deal on an Executive Package car
33.33%
Bad deal - keep looking for another car
4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

What do you guys think about this deal? Need thoughts & wisdom...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 08:52 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this deal? Need thoughts & wisdom...

I plan to go see the car tomorrow.

2007 Lexus LS460L w/ Executive Seating Package - Silver w/ black interior. Dealer is asking 38,900 (cash deal) with 62k miles. Every option available I believe. I have a deposit on the car which holds it until this coming Monday. The previous owner told me they gave him 36,000 for the car on trade in for a new car. The dealer does not know that I have this information and I haven't negotiated price at all yet. The only issue is the car is 3 1/2 hours away so I really don't want to go see the car and not pick it up, even though I have to be willing to do so if need be. I was actually able to speak with the previous owner and he advised me the car has been solid for the most part with only some minor issues and all the recall work has been done. The previous owner was also friends with the original owner so I pretty much know the cars entire history. Plugged in the VIN on the Lexus Corporate website and everything is in order as far as the service/recall work. Nothing out of the ordinary.

There was some minor paint work on the drivers door due to scratches, but no collision. Paint looks good from the pics, but I will have to see it in person. The rear air struts were just replaced. I see this as a good thing, because it seems as if they fail. In the future, hopefully I will probably change out the suspension to coilovers, if at all possible. I see they make coils for the standard suspension.

I really want the Executive Package and I want the car by Christmas as a present for my wife + you don't really see that many Executive Packages, especially under 40k in price. Mileage is a little high, but it's actually about average for the South East. Car looks near flawless in the pictures, couple rock chips in the hood and that is it.

Can I still purchase a Lexus Platinum Warranty? The full warranty has expired but the car is still under powertrain warranty for another 10k or 1 year.

Thanks for taking the time to read and all thoughts/opinions are welcome...
Old 12-16-11, 11:03 AM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin - Few months ago I got a 2007 460L for $40K with 34K miles. My car is heavily optioned but no executive package. In terms of extended warranty it depends on when is your car's in-service date I imagine, I am not sure what is the policy on exceeding the mileage limit.

I was able to get the extended warranty for my car and feeling better ever since. For around $40K it is possible now to get 2008 car with low mileage that is eligible for extended warranty. I guess that is the trade off you need to think about, executive package or low miles and extended warranty.
Old 12-16-11, 01:17 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I would purchase any car with that many gadgets without a GREAT extended warranty. One seat motor + cost to install it probably covers the cost of the warranty.

What a cool ride! I'm so jealous

jeff
Old 12-16-11, 06:53 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the input so far. Please vote in the poll. Man I am really on the fence about this car... who knows how long before I see another Executive Package become available... decisions decisions...

Old 12-16-11, 07:00 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice car but I think you can get at least an 08 for that price and the mileage is kind of high, if I go used it gotta be under 50k this last one was 40k. I like the options but the mileage is on the high side, but if you like go for it just make sure you get the extended warranty, worst can happen is you don't need it but, it is better to have and not need it then to not have and need it. there is alot of gadgets and gizmos on there that can go wrong.
Old 12-16-11, 07:11 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Sounds like you've done your homework on this one. Besides the mileage being a bit high, if you're comfortable with it, then go for it! Work them on the price a little if you can. Good luck.
Old 12-16-11, 07:34 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not bad, but I would get the platinum warranty for it!
Old 12-16-11, 07:41 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
Not bad, but I would get the platinum warranty for it!
I read somewhere on this site that the car must still be under the original bumper to bumper in order for the car to qualify for the Platinum. The guy I spoke to at Lexus corporate also said the same thing.
Old 12-16-11, 09:11 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chin
I read somewhere on this site that the car must still be under the original bumper to bumper in order for the car to qualify for the Platinum. The guy I spoke to at Lexus corporate also said the same thing.
Yup. The car has to be under basic warranty to qualify for Lexus Platinum warranty. There are 3rd party warranties out there, but I would not trust them. If you are buying from a Lexus dealer, then you can ask them to CPO the car, then you'll get 3 years or up to 100K miles.
Old 12-17-11, 08:13 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

I decided not to go see the car today. I sent the dealer an email and he said he can now get the car down to 38k out the door but no less than that.
Old 12-17-11, 07:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Chin
I decided not to go see the car today. I sent the dealer an email and he said he can now get the car down to 38k out the door but no less than that.
That follow up from the dealer is a good sign that they are willing to go lower on the price. Sit tight and see if they contact you again possibly with an even better price. Good luck...
Old 12-17-11, 07:43 PM
yodanadane
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

38,000 out the door including taxes and fees in a great deal wholesale blue book is 40775, I would run a car fax to double check on if there was any other accidents other than the scratch repair.
Old 12-17-11, 11:04 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good price but the mileage is still high.... i say go for it once they contact u again

Last edited by Lextrician; 12-18-11 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-11, 08:48 AM
larrygust
Driver School Candidate

Default Good Deal on this

I bought one that is identical with all options (including upgraded wheels) except the executive package in April. It had 51,000 and Lexus extended warranty until April 2013. I bought from a private owner on cars.com. Paid 37,500. I think the 38,000 price is excellent. Good luck.
Old 12-18-11, 09:18 PM
VitaminT
Driver School Candidate

I marked average deal, but it is a bit hard to judge because there are so few executive package cars in your/my area. I have been looking for a while, but haven't been toon serious.

I could have bought a black on black exec package car with 67k miles just down the road from me at a small dealer. It was listed at $39,999. There is an 09 with 44k in Birmingham, AL for $49k and I am sure a handful more I haven't seen.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this deal? Need thoughts & wisdom...