LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CJITTY's 22" Vossen CV1 Wheel Install Experience (Videos and Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 02:43 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Yep, this is why I didn't want to go 265 without seeing someone with a similar setup do it 1st. Thanks for finally clearing up that the 265's are not meant to be. Also makes me feel a little bit better that you said that there is not a real noticeable difference between the 2 sizes. BTW are you still having the rubbing in the back? I've been beating on my car lately ( sharp turns and taking a few dips faster than I should) and that rubbing in the rear is starting to really get to me. I'm not sure if it is hitting the outer part of the fender but I think like you guys mentioned before on the inner part with the sound insulation stuff. I really want to know how to get rid of this :/
I can't get it to rub in the back...(that don't sound right lol)

Seriously, it isn't making any rubbing noises. I think you are on Coilovers right? My Tanabe springs have a very mild drop in rear compared to the front. Some people with same setups have different results. Some tires are same size but have rounded shoulders vs the more square looking tires. I used to rub on that gray color felt sound proofing just inside and behind the edge of fender lip, but I kind of pushed it up a little and not a peep since. I am running 295/25s in rear.
Old 01-28-12, 02:56 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I went to Pirelli because the 245 seemed so much smaller than the 295 in the rear. The 9" wheels in front work well with 255. I may go back to the Continentals after these but I keep hearing that the 245 is not rated high enough to hold the weight. I remember that was the case with my GS at 245/30/20 but the 245/30/22 has a slightly higher rating so it might be ok. I just want the higher tread life
If DWS came in 255 size, I would of been golden! But I talked to a few tire people who told me that since the 245s are 92XL rated vs the 255s which are 95XL in other tire brands, the difference is not that bad at all. The 295s are 97XL. Those load ratings are assuming maximum load.

Since I am usually the only person in the car, I'm not really stressing the tire. It will wear faster with the camber and not being able to rotate because of the staggered setup. You need to maintain an eye on the tire pressure and keep it high
..I run 40psi front and rear.

I will go to a directional tire next time if I end up having inside tire wear issues, especially in front. Then I can flip tires on rim and swap to other side for even more life. Can't do that with the DWS.

I had well known custom alignment shop that has set my car up for best possible tire life. Can't go by factory specs as a rule, so they get creative with toe settings and car is tracking much better down the road now.
Old 01-28-12, 03:04 AM
CJITTY

[QUOTE=CJITTY;6977011]The drop adds to that illusion but from my experience, there is not much real estate to work with up front in the wells. 255 is the absolute ideal size to match up to factory 18" overall diameter, but the DWS tire skips the 255 size FTL. A 2 or 3mm spacer might help but I would potentially rub on outside. Would have to test. Vossen front offset is 35mm..perhaps a spacer to put it at 37 or 38mm offset would work..dunno. it looks better in person with the 245. The wheel is slightly tilted in at top so that's what makes it look like that a little.

FYI for all people who may be new to wheel terminology. The Higher the offset number = tucking in toward the inside of the fender well and suspension. The Lower the offset number = push out towards fender outer edge.

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-28-12 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-03-12, 05:10 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I can't get it to rub in the back...(that don't sound right lol)

Seriously, it isn't making any rubbing noises. I think you are on Coilovers right? My Tanabe springs have a very mild drop in rear compared to the front. Some people with same setups have different results. Some tires are same size but have rounded shoulders vs the more square looking tires. I used to rub on that gray color felt sound proofing just inside and behind the edge of fender lip, but I kind of pushed it up a little and not a peep since. I am running 295/25s in rear.
Nope, we have the exact same setup man I'm also on Tanabes (for now) and also have 245/30F 295/25R DWS... I'll admit that I am an "erratic" driver so I only rub when I go into dips really fast or some really nice high speed turns onto the highway and such, but that's just when I am by myself or have a passenger next to me. Now when The car is fully occupied with passengers with all that weight load it rubs at some medium-ish dips and mild turns but I can still accomplish the journey with some tamed driving

Hopefully I will have the car up in the air and the wheels off to inspect everything nicely. Iv'e been riving really hard on these tires (a little over 10k miles on the wheels and tires now) so it will be nice to see how the tires are holding up. I know I definitely need an alignment.

BTW this is a little off topic, but these VOSSEN wheels are indestructible!! Honestly, I have been through some pretty tough potholes and had some times where I was almost positive I bent a rim but I was proved wrong. I got a flat tire in my benz from a pothole right next to my house 2 weeks ago and it has 35 series tires!! That shows how bad the streets are around where I live...shout out to a great wheel company
Old 02-03-12, 06:59 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW this is a little off topic, but these VOSSEN wheels are indestructible!! Honestly, I have been through some pretty tough potholes and had some times where I was almost positive I bent a rim but I was proved wrong. I got a flat tire in my benz from a pothole right next to my house 2 weeks ago and it has 35 series tires!! That shows how bad the streets are around where I live...shout out to a great wheel company [/QUOTE]

I'm glad u said that, i've read about the warranty they come with... an to my knowledge no other wheel company offers anything like it.... an i'm famous for bending wheels, local wheel shops await my call (lmao) but the Vossen wheels have a strength to em u can feel it when ur driving... i dunno what kind of testing they do but IT WORKS

http://www.vossenwheels.com/Warranty/
Old 02-05-12, 06:12 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
BTW this is a little off topic, but these VOSSEN wheels are indestructible!! Honestly, I have been through some pretty tough potholes and had some times where I was almost positive I bent a rim but I was proved wrong. I got a flat tire in my benz from a pothole right next to my house 2 weeks ago and it has 35 series tires!! That shows how bad the streets are around where I live...shout out to a great wheel company

I'm glad u said that, i've read about the warranty they come with... an to my knowledge no other wheel company offers anything like it.... an i'm famous for bending wheels, local wheel shops await my call (lmao) but the Vossen wheels have a strength to em u can feel it when ur driving... i dunno what kind of testing they do but IT WORKS

http://www.vossenwheels.com/Warranty/
Agreed. I have had a ton of wheels over the years on various cars. I was afrraid of 22s at first just because of running 30 and 25 series tires, but these wheels do appear very strong and they balance up really nice. The 5 year warranty is unheard of and I think there only may be a couple other that offer long warranties like that but those are forged hella expensive type wheels that are way outside my budget. I'm glad I chose these Vossens..I think i found the perfect wheel, but I still baby the heck out of them while driving..going out of my way to avoid sunken manhole covers and protruding blacktop to concrete transitions..I want these tires and wheels to last until I can upgrade to a Long wheelbase 2010 LS sometime next year..then maybe..just maybe in 2016 or 2017 I can buy the new body style (if I like it). I hope it looks better from the side than the new GS does
Old 06-27-16, 10:56 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

INSANE look,22s huh,WOWWWWWWWW,you should very very proud,easy on the ladies,LOL,Great looking car man,keep it up....
Old 06-27-16, 11:12 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Fellow CLers,

Normally I would of just added this to my normal ongoing build thread, but this event for me was monumental and I wanted to give this particular install a special stand alone thread!

Pre Install:

I recently picked up a beautiful set of Vossen CV1s and matched them up with my favorite tire, the Continental Extreme DWS and all of its 540 (50K mile) treadwear glory. The wheels came to me in very sturdy boxes that seemed extra thick along with carefully packed wheels with plenty of wheel face protection..props to Vossen on that. The wheels also came with hubcentric rings, center caps and performance valve stems (not needed for TPMS of course)

Install:

I have been using Discount Tire Co for at least 20 years now. Every since I started driving, they have always given me the best deals, best service and they always strive to make it right. They treated the wheels with maximum care to make sure to not scratch them while mounting up the tires. It takes some work to mount a 22" tire, especially a 30 or 25 series, but they know what they are doing and did a great job. As they balanced up the wheels,

Discount mentioned that many of the Vossen wheels they see always spin up true and typically never require a ton of weight to even the balance, regardless of tire. I thought that was pretty cool. My Vossens spun up almost perfectly requiring less than 1/2 oz on each side..very nice!!

My installers were impressed with the fit and finish of the wheel and also made note that the center caps seem very solid with metal clips. Those things snapped in after some effort but they dang sure ain't going anywhere..also a plus. Plus, the hubcentric rings supplied are extremely snug in the hub and they aren't the real cheapo type plastic..the plastic Vossen uses on their hub rings seem like a step above...hub rings are a MUST for vibration free ride. My hub rings are for both front and rear. Some people say they are not required for the rear, I disagree 100%. The new TPMS sensors I bought worked flawlessly and programmed to car with little effort.

First Driving Impressions:

Many of you know I have battled about 20s vs 22s. Since I have been on 20s for a while with DWS tires, I kind of knew what to expect. But, to my surprise, these 22" Vossens rode extremely smooth on the DWS tires. I am pretty particular about comfort and really tried to find a reason to be unhappy with the ride...well, I am extremely pleased with how smooth this CV1/DWS combo is.

What is even better, these CV1s/DWS's are as smooth as glass and zero vibration so far!! Sure, there is road feel which is to be expected, but no water bottle Jurassic park waves going on at all..I got the car up to about 65mph for a long stretch and it was just smooth..so happy about this. Us owners with custom wheels always fear vibration on a new set of wheels/tires.

I went by Little Caesars to get some hot and ready pizzas for the entire crew and mgrs at Discount Tire after I was done. They put in 2hrs of work getting everything right and installing 8 TPMS sensors. 4 for the Vossens and 4 for my oem wheels since I sold my original set with the 20s. I \wanted Mikey to have a perfect balanced set of wheels without having to break the setup to get my stock TPMS out of the 20s he bought from me. I got all 8 OEM brand new sensors on Ebay for $170 shipped...a steal!

VOSSEN CV1s FTW!!! Thanks to all my CLers who put up with my questions! Always good to be informed when it comes to stuff like this and it is certainly appreciated.

Wheel Specs:
Vossen CV1, Silver Machined
22x9 Front (et35) / 22x10.5 Rear (et38)

Tire Specs:
Continental Extreme DWS
265/30/22 Front
295/25/22 Rear

Ok, enough of the background and dialogue. Here are the videos and pics! The commentary in the background are from the Discount Tire crew...they get mad props as well!

IMG_20111209_161521 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_163349 by CJATL404, on Flickr

Camber Kit Should Fix this right up! LOL

IMG_20111209_165413 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_171317 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_171330 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_171847 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_171913 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_173003 by CJATL404, on Flickr

LOLOL..some guy at Discount Tire had his SLR and did an impromptu photoshoot because he thought the car was worthy of quality pics..guess my Nexus S Phone aint sheet

IMG_20111209_173329 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202712 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202724 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202737 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202757 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202813 by CJATL404, on Flickr

IMG_20111209_202838 by CJATL404, on Flickr

REAR

IMG_20111209_202922 by CJATL404, on Flickr

FRONT

IMG_20111209_202932 by CJATL404, on Flickr
Tires and rims,how much????
Old 06-27-16, 12:07 PM
CJITTY

This thread is several years old and they don't make these anymore. But if I recall they were about $650 per wheel and bet on about $1000 for tires.