LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mods: Why Do People Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 05:47 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
oh please believe nothing is wrong with riding 22's daily i use to do it but now i have a choice, oh trust me this summer its on!!!. but what i was trying to say is for the show car aspect , just because you have 22's don't mean that u are riding them daily if you have a choice and if you have other cars then its not the same unless some situations allow you to ride your other cars on 22's. i was just trying to point something out.
fair enough. the LS is my daily -- i have another car that's too low to get into the office parking garage haha
Old 12-06-11, 09:20 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP hasn't been back. Maybe we answered his questions.
Old 01-06-12, 04:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatDad
OP hasn't been back. Maybe we answered his questions.
I am the original poster and here I am! I generally DO follow up on my posts but I guess, yes, you guys DID answer my question. I still don't find doing mods for me, but I have nothing to argue with about if it works for you. So I'm sorry if I started a thread then made it appear that I disappeared. I just had nothing further to add.

Happy 2012 to everyone.
Old 01-06-12, 10:57 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most cars are a compromise. They know they can't please everyone, plus it's cheaper to withhold some mods. Also if they put everything on the car they won't have anything new to offer the next year.

If you think Lexus has mods, checkout tacomaworld.com

Whit
Old 01-06-12, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I will admit that I recently remove the Vossen 22" wheels from my car because of vibration issues and DAMN the car feels so much better. No vibrations, it rides smooth and quiet, pulls like a train , and handles better. BUT....I am still putting them back on because the car looks so boring without the Vossen wheels. Even my SA said when he test drove the car with the 22s that everyone at stop lights would be checking out the car, but with the stocks on it , it just looks like " a big white car". He is right. I cant stand to look at her even though it rides and performs better
Old 01-06-12, 03:05 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To personify and put your signature on your ride. No different than a house, yacht, etc.

Old 01-06-12, 05:54 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will admit that I recently remove the Vossen 22" wheels from my car because of vibration issues and DAMN the car feels so much better. No vibrations, it rides smooth and quiet, pulls like a train , and handles better. BUT....I am still putting them back on because the car looks so boring without the Vossen wheels. Even my SA said when he test drove the car with the 22s that everyone at stop lights would be checking out the car, but with the stocks on it , it just looks like " a big white car". He is right. I cant stand to look at her even though it rides and performs better
i dunno i still have my stocks an i get a lot of looks...(even with the few exterior mods i've done)
lol.

i had a sheriff pull me over NYE (i thought i was speeding an way to early to be drunk) but he had a ton of questions about the car.. his dad who cant drive anymore gave him an LS (Welcome to the Family Officer Hennessey) an wanted to know where i got my mods done.. he said it felt a lil old by his tastes til he say my car..now he's excited....

why do we customize..... to get outta tickets....(jk i wasnt speeding.....)

THAT TIME....LMAO
Old 01-07-12, 05:07 PM
Nvbanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the need to personalize one's ride. However, personally, I don't want to screw up the engineering on this amazing machine, so tint, pinstripes, gold packages, fine. Changing the size of wheels, or tires, slamming it, can only screw up the handling and ride dynamics of the car. That, I won't do. YMMV
Old 01-07-12, 05:16 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nvbanker
I understand the need to personalize one's ride. However, personally, I don't want to screw up the engineering on this amazing machine, so tint, pinstripes, gold packages, fine. Changing the size of wheels, or tires, slamming it, can only screw up the handling and ride dynamics of the car. That, I won't do. YMMV
well thats kind of the point of forums like these.. to get opinions of people that have tried good and bad mods hear their personal experiences an hopefully improve on factory.. my factory suspension felt like mush to me an unsafe for my taste... now its a lil lower much firmer.. the way the car should have been built IHMO.. hence the new Ls sport model being introduced... without people like us how would they know whats wrong an whats right...

but to each his own..some people just prefer to play it safe. an some people take risks...as always whats done can always be undone....
Old 01-07-12, 05:38 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
i dunno i still have my stocks an i get a lot of looks...(even with the few exterior mods i've done)
lol.

i had a sheriff pull me over NYE (i thought i was speeding an way to early to be drunk) but he had a ton of questions about the car.. his dad who cant drive anymore gave him an LS (Welcome to the Family Officer Hennessey) an wanted to know where i got my mods done.. he said it felt a lil old by his tastes til he say my car..now he's excited....

why do we customize..... to get outta tickets....(jk i wasnt speeding.....)

THAT TIME....LMAO
Shibumi, any pics of your ride? I'm in the process of modding and like you said, people still check it out. My wife was picking up food the other night and she said this lady was walking out behind her. When this lady seen the car she started telling the guy she was with, " oh my gosh, look at that car! It is bad ***... damn!!!!" And on and on. LOL! Anyway, It embarrassed my wife a little but also gave her a sense of pride. These cars are one of the best looking just the way they come out of the factory. Add a few mods and the WOW factor really kicks in. Just my .02
Old 01-07-12, 07:15 PM
Dema
Pole Position

I think here are several reasons.
1 a person wants to look special. I think it is a good intention
2 a person wants to fix some style design flaws of the vehicle. I do not think it is right thing to do unless you have certain talents and artistic eye
3 a person is just copying a friend or neighbor . I think it is stupid thing
Maybe there are some reasons I do not really know
Old 01-07-12, 09:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had my stocks on my car and was driving nest to another LS and felt like just another LS. Although they are beautiful in stock trim they are stunning when modified nicely
Old 01-08-12, 07:39 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the LS in stock form. It is one of the best engineered vehicles on the road. The LS wasn't built for some of us younger owners. It's built for pure luxury. Slamming it and putting on 22's is taking away from what it was designed for. Yes some modifications look better and some people make them look worse but that's all our opinions. I did what I did to my LS to make it look, handle, and brake better IMO.
Old 01-11-12, 08:00 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Shibumi, any pics of your ride? I'm in the process of modding and like you said, people still check it out. My wife was picking up food the other night and she said this lady was walking out behind her. When this lady seen the car she started telling the guy she was with, " oh my gosh, look at that car! It is bad ***... damn!!!!" And on and on. LOL! Anyway, It embarrassed my wife a little but also gave her a sense of pride. These cars are one of the best looking just the way they come out of the factory. Add a few mods and the WOW factor really kicks in. Just my .02
My LS600h gets some attention sometimes and it is completely stock. Just the other day while I was backing out a parking spot at Wal-Mart, some lady made a big ruckus on how nice my car was. It actually startled me since I thought I hit someone or something!

Anyway, the only major mod I would do is different wheels (not neccessarily larger) or the side mirror blinkers but I am lazy...
Old 01-12-12, 06:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife loves when people compliment her car. Especially other women. It's the same when women admire each others shoes or purse. It's just a bigger accessory to them.

On another note, yesterday I stopped by our local Aston Martin dealer. I was very disappointed to see there isn't enough legroom for me. I tied to explain to the sales guy what I would with the car if I had one.
He went off on a rant about hating aftermarket wheels. He then started talking to me like I wasn't the right person to own a AM...at least not from this dealership.
I wanted to try a Bentley but he told me that wouldn't fit either. I told him I'd been in one before and was sure there was more room. He wouldn't get the key. He told me wheels ruin cars and cause problems. I tried to explain that properly selecting wheels that fit would not cause any problems but he would not listen.

What a trip. This guy was nice to me until he found out I was going to mod the car.

Quick Reply: Mods: Why Do People Do It?