LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rust on metal brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 09:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Unhappy Rust on metal brace

Hi folks, I was using the Carista OBD adaptor this evening and checking the PCS button underneath the dash when I was shocked to see rust on a metal brace. I had to wipe with my fingers to confirm it was indeed rust: very dry and fine. There is nothing exposed on the passenger side to check for rust.

Questions:
1) I have poked around underneath the dash before but never noticed this rust, so either I missed it or the rust has developed recently. What is going on?

2) Can people check underneath their dash and report whether they see any rust on this metal brace?

3) I bought this car in NJ. It was built in Nov 2013, entered service as a corporate lease in January 2014, was meticulously serviced at Manhattan Lexus every 5000 miles (the last service at Manhattan Lexus on 11/6/15 at 40353 miles), before being traded in at Mercedes Benz Manhattan at 43778 miles on 12/22/15. The car was sold at auction on 1/4/16 at 43784 miles. I bought it at a NJ dealer on 2/28/16 at 43980 miles. The Carfax and Autocheck records are clean, and there is no indication of flood damage. The car runs great (current mileage ~54,000). Any thoughts on the source of the rust are welcome.

4) How should I treat this problem? I am thinking of letting my dealer take a look and deal with it. I have Lexus Platinum Warranty.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 02-16-17, 04:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It actually doesn't look too bad and possibly caused by condensation from just being in a rainy environment. Wet shoes five months out of the year will create a somewhat humid environment down there versus water leaking in.

Also, I think our cars come with a 100k corrosion warranty. I'm not sure but you can check the owner's manual.

However, this might be a good time to inspect it thoroughly before taking it in.
The following users liked this post:
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 05:18 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
It actually doesn't look too bad and possibly caused by condensation from just being in a rainy environment. Wet shoes five months out of the year will create a somewhat humid environment down there versus water leaking in.

Also, I think our cars come with a 100k corrosion warranty. I'm not sure but you can check the owner's manual.

However, this might be a good time to inspect it thoroughly before taking it in.
I would agree here. I believe mine had similar rust on it most likely caused by wet and damp feet from the snowy weather during the long winter months. Was nothing more than a surface rust and didnt go any further than that.
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 06:24 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine has few spots. This was a FL car. Since purchase, always garage kept, never drove in snow/winter. Looking at Comotiger's picture and mine, looks like material fault.

If wet feet and other humid environment were to cause this, there are many other similar metal parts and those should exhibit similar behavior. I will talk to my SA when I take car for next service.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on metal brace-0216170638b.jpg  

Last edited by satiger; 02-16-17 at 06:32 AM.
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 06:47 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

This brace is completely concealed from view. You nearly have to be on your back looking up at the underneath of the dash, which is why I may have missed it previously. If the rust is a seasonal thing, it will build up every year and be noticed. Perhaps the rust was sanded off last winter just before I bought the car, and it is showing up again only now. I will check with the dealer on my next visit, have them do a careful examination for rust throughout, and decide what to do.

My understanding is the corrosion protection is for the underbody. It would be great if that warranty also covers any issues like this (assuming this is an expensive fix).
Old 02-16-17, 07:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Mine has few spots. This was a FL car. Since purchase, always garage kept, never drove in snow/winter. Looking at Comotiger's picture and mine, looks like material fault.

If wet feet and other humid environment were to cause this, there are many other similar metal parts and those should exhibit similar behavior. I will talk to my SA when I take car for next service.
Moisture and humidity is a perennial problem, and can be easily addressed to prevent rust. Hopefully many of our brethren in the midwest, the east coast and Canada will chime in about any rust in their cars. In the second pic, I can see that this brace extends further up into the dash where it is bolted, but only one section appears to be rusted, suggesting it is proximity to wet shoes etc. I haven't removed the carpet to examine the entire brace, so I can't be sure.
Old 02-16-17, 07:22 AM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's just surface rust, not as exciting as the bubbly cancerous type. wipe away similar to brake surface rust.
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 08:15 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

They likely didn't consider a protective coat for those materials to prevent surface rust resulting from light humidity. Shouldn't be anything to worry about but I can certainly understand it being unsettling in a car such as an LS.
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 09:15 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Red face

Indeed this is surface rust, rather a bit of the material purging impurities (oxidizing) via exposure to moisture (wet shoes/damp carpet).
As a few have eluded to, apparently this piece isn't treated/plated with a protectant.
Steel and its various grades are actually my area of expertise, and I can assure you that its all surface and the part will not suffer from any internal loss of integrity.
Likely it is a steel structure that is low in carbon, possibly low alloy content meaning not much surface corrosion resistance.
I'll take a photo this afternoon and post, as I live in the Midwest.
All to say-no worries good buddy!

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-16-17 at 02:06 PM.
comotiger (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 02:46 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a photo of the same brace in my car.
As a review, my car was placed in service September of 2007 in Milwaukee until 2011.
From that point, it was sold in Milwaukee and made its way to Chicago and it's been in the Chicagoland area every since.
​​​​​​​I'd be really interested to see what other brackets look like in their vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on metal brace-imag2532.jpg  
Old 02-16-17, 03:45 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, CRowe. It's clear that this brace takes on some rust. Your car is 10 years old, and the rust is minimal. The amount of rust on my 4 yo car is worrisome.
Old 02-16-17, 03:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll check my car in a bit. I obviously live in a damp Pacific Northwest environment,

As for rust warranty, this only applies to rust THROUGH...not surface rust. If it were me and I was concerned, I'd simply apply some rust paint (Rustoleum etc).
Old 02-16-17, 05:08 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

As I said earlier, this brace material apparently doesn't contain proper rust preventive properties and/or doesn't have rust inhibitor applied. Shame on Lexus to fit such piece inside the cabin (even though concealed from view).
Old 02-16-17, 06:15 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Your welcome comotiger...
If you do decide to take it to Lexus, I'm thinking all they would do is clean the brace with a rag and mild solution...maybe nothing at all, just a rag, and that may be it.
I'd consider it going above and beyond of the actually "coated it with anything.
But who knows!
Old 02-16-17, 07:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'll check my car in a bit. I obviously live in a damp Pacific Northwest environment,
As for rust warranty, this only applies to rust THROUGH...not surface rust. If it were me and I was concerned, I'd simply apply some rust paint (Rustoleum etc).
Thanks for checking, and the rustoleum suggestion. So far, we are 3/3 although the rust is substantial only in my car.

Quick Reply: Rust on metal brace