Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

curious: anyone running staggered fitment on LS600

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 10:02 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default curious: anyone running staggered fitment on LS600

just curious if anyone is running staggered fitment on their 600¿

if so are there the normal vibration issues or what are your wheel specs if no vibrations...? thank you

just putting together some new car and wheel options is all
Old 11-07-11, 10:09 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, I know that there are some people that have staggered fitments on the 600 (i think) ....

BUMP for helping this guy out?
Old 11-08-11, 09:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Putting the wheels on a 600 or a 460 would be the same. I have had wheels on my cars for 9 years now and there are always little vibration issues.......ALWAYS !!!. I have had the best shop in town work on my car and down to the typical discount tire. I have had them balance matched 1000x and it still vibrates a little. Bottom line is you need to consider the trade off for the look vs the ride quality. People who say that their cars ride smooth simply live in cities with lower quality roads so the vibrations are drowned out in all of the other vibrations from the road surface. In phoenix its like driving on a perfect pane of glass. Every single vibration in the wheel and tire is felt.
Old 11-08-11, 01:01 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
People who say that their cars ride smooth simply live in cities with lower quality roads so the vibrations are drowned out in all of the other vibrations from the road surface. In phoenix its like driving on a perfect pane of glass. Every single vibration in the wheel and tire is felt.
I have to disagree a little. I know EXACTLY the frustration you have with aftermarket wheels..believe me. I had plenty of cars with multiple sets of wheels and it was always a hassle. BUT, during that time, I had very good experienced technicians balance my tires and had success. Currently, I have the same DWS tires as you, but I have 20" staggered wheels and hub/lug centric wheels specifically made for the LS to bolt up like OEM. I had some drama with these wheels at first and went ahead to have high speed on the car balancing done
($100). Turned out perfect and rode smooth as glass. In fact, like night and day. Then over time, the balance fell out and I needed another balance. Took it to discount tire since i have lifetime free balance and rotations and they didn't get it right. Took it to other discount tires..no luck either and started questioning everything including the purchase! Then, gave them one more chance and went back. Had them balance it on a COATES machine using the lasers and an experienced balancer...voila..back to perfect smooth ride again with ZERO vibration. I am very particular about this stuff, ask my local CL peeps..and I can honestly say it is as smooth as glass. I spent plenty of time in Florida and the roads there are very smooth. Even the concrete coming up I-75 from Florida into Georgia, still vibration free! in the past, I never had 100% luck with wheels requiring hub centric rings, but I did have some success. I do agree that it can be a trade off. Aftermarket wheels for highway drivers like me can be a headache sometimes. If you stay under 55mph most of the time, chances are you won't notice. If I go up to 21 or 22 inch wheels, I am just going to give it one shot with Discount..then if no luck I am going to Butler Tire for high speed on the car balance to 120mph and know I'm good..at least for a few months anyway..sux, but gotta pay to play I suppose
Old 11-08-11, 08:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel like I am bit biased right now because I am having some phantom vibration with my car
Old 11-09-11, 05:53 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah well i have struggled myself and like CJITTY said it can be resolved and vibration free...

i think some of you missed the point of this question so let me re-state my intentions. i am looking at a 600hL as a possible upgrade here shortly. i wanted to know if anyone was running staggered wheel fitments on the AWD 460 or 600 without the normal tiny wheel issues.... i have a good friend who recently got a new 3GS AWD and he has always had aftermarket big wheel/small tires like the rest of us but he claims that for the first time has excessive wobble when the exact same wheels were fine on his last RWD lex sedan. this friend claims that staggered wheel fitments on an AWD sedan will cause this....

just wanting to hear someone with a 600 or 460 AWD with a different opinion that actually is running this on their own car without issues.
Old 11-09-11, 10:01 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I feel like I am bit biased right now because I am having some phantom vibration with my car
I hear ya brotha..just wanted to make you feel better and know that there is hope! You CAN be vibration free

Side note, did that TSB for our cars with driveline resonance have anything to do with this? Also, did the road force detect runout on the tires or anything? No balance will fix that, except high speed on the car. I have heard an on the car balance can even reduce vibration from slightly bent wheels..its pretty cool process, but costs a grip!