LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Driver's chair discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 12:47 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before but I really believe that the seats in the LS are one of the weakest points of the car. Given all the technology in the vehicle you would think they could design/build more comfortable seats. They don't hold a candle to the seats in my now departed BMW 550i or to the ones in the MBE550.

Now, the LS has other great features and solid reliablity that make it a teriffic car but the seats IMHO are not great.
Old 10-19-11, 12:55 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
charles, either we are both old, or.... we should ask brian too
As much as I'd like to contribute to this thread, I don't think that my experience/seat time is adequate enough to contribute any value. Personally I have no complaints in regards to the seat comfort, but I purchased my car last December, and from then until now, I think I have driven an aggregate of approximately 3,000 miles. =X

@Charles/Henry - Thanks to you two - I just realized I've spent more dollars on my car than I've driven it. Way more. LOL
Old 10-19-11, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
As much as I'd like to contribute to this thread, I don't think that my experience/seat time is adequate enough to contribute any value. Personally I have no complaints in regards to the seat comfort, but I purchased my car last December, and from then until now, I think I have driven an aggregate of approximately 3,000 miles. =X

@Charles/Henry - Thanks to you two - I just realized I've spent more dollars on my car than I've driven it. Way more. LOL
lol you need to start living in the car now, brian. and fwiw, i am always happy to spend other people's money
Old 10-19-11, 01:15 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Originally Posted by rominl
i am always happy to spend other people's money
i might need your help in picking what I want to do next to the car. I'm growing a bit impatient waiting for my suspension to arrive from japan. a friend of mine is the mechanic at tustin lexus, i'm going to ask him if he can perform this chair tsib for me while he upgrades my navi and installs/reinsulates my dash
Old 10-19-11, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Yes. I have the same issue as i8abmr. I'm 270 and thought I worn the seat down.

I am 6'5" and weigh about 325 lbs so I know it doesnt help but in a car at this level we should feel nothing but pleasure not pain

Originally Posted by stanatl
I have issues with my seat as well and it is a 2011. i seem to rub my right thigh on the seat bolster and it gets irritated on long drives. I too keep shifting to find a comfortable position. I've played around with the seat cushion posiion and it doesn't seem to help. Interestingly, I had the same issue with the seat in my LS430 and had the seat worked on by an upholstery company to no avail.

The seats in the Sport are different. I had no problems with the seat in my 2010 Sport.

It hurts my thighs exactly where you desribed it. It creates a pressure point. Somedays are better than others but its still not what I would expect from Lexus .....or even Honda

Originally Posted by adamls2
After coming from slammed sports cars and other tight cars i think my *** has lost it's feeling I personally am a big guy 280lbs 6' and i can definitely feel that lack of the bottom cushion support. I drive hours at a time and only a few times did i feel like my bottom was abused, but then again i like to change the seat position a lot. Like most of the fella's here I also can't seem to find a solid seat position. LOL since this is my biggest car that i've owned yet i guess i need to speculate a bit more

This has to be frustrating as hell. When they initially replaced the seat pad the cart felt great for about 6-8 months then all of a sudden I started feeling something. In fact when I first felt it again I actually thought that maybe I had something in my back pocket. This is how obvious the sensation was.

Sometime I wish I wasn't so damn big.
Old 10-19-11, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am 6'5" and weigh about 325 lbs so I know it doesnt help but in a car at this level we should feel nothing but pleasure not pain

It hurts my thighs exactly where you desribed it. It creates a pressure point. Somedays are better than others but its still not what I would expect from Lexus .....or even Honda

This has to be frustrating as hell. When they initially replaced the seat pad the cart felt great for about 6-8 months then all of a sudden I started feeling something. In fact when I first felt it again I actually thought that maybe I had something in my back pocket. This is how obvious the sensation was.

Sometime I wish I wasn't so damn big.
lol being small like me apparently doesn't help
Old 10-19-11, 04:12 PM
freedom88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my LS for almost a year now and am loving the car. I love the way it drives, the way it insulates, and the way she looks.......BUT....what I cant stand is the discomfort of the drivers chair. The base of the seat seems to as if it lack appropriate padding and feels a bit lumpy toward the back of the chair because of the ventilated seats. I have had the seat cushion replaced at my Lexus dealership as apart of the TSIB for the seat discomfort. This definitely helped but didn't last. I feel like the base is to shallow and the bolsters on the sides create a pressure points on my legs. I find myself shifting constantly to get comfortable but it only helps temporarily. I have made an appointment at a local upholstery shop that the dealership recommended . I am taking the car in to have the tech there add padding to the center. The tech said he can add padding without having to replace the leather. I am really hoping they can fix the seat for me.

Has anyone had any issues with the seat base? Has anyone had any work done ? I know back in the day we did have several dealership who got the ok from Lexus to send the cars out to have padding added as needed.

I am confident that they can fix the seat and make it comfortable. I will update when I pick up the car
Ask the tech if it doable to replace the pad with memory foam (tempur-pedic foam).

Last edited by freedom88; 10-19-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 10:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to tell the tech at the shop to go all out. I really dont care how much it costs. I am going to keep this car for a while and I want to enjoy it. When I set the appointment they quoted me around $110 to add padding. That is pretty cheap. I am going to tell the guy to do whatever he would do if the car was his.
Old 10-20-11, 02:01 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to tell the tech at the shop to go all out. I really dont care how much it costs. I am going to keep this car for a while and I want to enjoy it. When I set the appointment they quoted me around $110 to add padding. That is pretty cheap. I am going to tell the guy to do whatever he would do if the car was his.
kewl!! let us know how it goes!! I never knew that they could do that i would think a local upholstery shop would be good at that but i would never know how that would turn out!!!
Old 10-20-11, 05:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I will add some posts to describe how it turned out. I know that Lexus did ok some dealerships in the past to have upholstry shops add padding. I have read posts where Lexus even ok'd to replace the entire chair. I will try to take some pics if I can
Old 10-20-11, 11:27 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is CHEAP!
Old 10-21-11, 12:13 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I cant wait to your results im only 175 and my as$ always hurts. When you push down on the seat it seems too firm. I have the new revised bottom cushions aswell.
Old 10-21-11, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the revised cushion helped temporarily but started hurting again after 7 or 8 months. The dealership has added padding to other CL members cars but it seems like they are reluctant since the car is of of the factory warranty ( still have the extended Lexus warranty though). If the guys at the dealership can do it then the pros at the upholstery shop can do it better. The tech who did my chair at the dealership said that " he would be damned before he took it apart again" . After my service advisor told me that I figured I better not push it and just take it to a pro who does this stuff all day long
Old 10-24-11, 08:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I just dropped the car off. The tech said they can easily add the padding to the seat and keep or totally stock looking. They said they will need the car for about 5 hours. I followed the tech to the back and they had some 60's lincoln continentals with the suicide doors, a 7 series, and a couple of modified SUVs . I will let you guys know how it went when I pick it up
Old 10-24-11, 10:21 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

interested to see/hear the results/reviews

Quick Reply: LS460 Driver's chair discomfort