LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

LS460 60k mile maintenance????

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 12:16 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took me one and half hour just to open all the panel and how to take out the engine air filters. I guess I am not very handy.
Old 10-01-16, 12:25 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

I also checked the cabin air filter. After I open the black cover, does it looks like I am missing a white cover for the filter? I had 430 before and I remember there is also a white cover to close the box.
Old 10-01-16, 01:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You got it right. You just need to pull that thing out. BUT WARNING!!! YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR HVAC system set to "recirc", or you risk breaking the mechanism. Also make sure that you have the arrows facing in the right direction of flow. The arrows are stamped on the filter.
Old 10-01-16, 02:03 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You got it right. You just need to pull that thing out. BUT WARNING!!! YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR HVAC system set to "recirc", or you risk breaking the mechanism. Also make sure that you have the arrows facing in the right direction of flow. The arrows are stamped on the filter.
so I do miss a white cover? I open it when the engine is off. Can't set to recirculated
Old 10-02-16, 10:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
so I do miss a white cover? I open it when the engine is off. Can't set to recirculated
No... you're not missing a white cover. What you see is what ya get.

As for recirc....you need to start your car (or just turn on the acc mode), and make sure the HVAC is set to recirc. Then turn the car off and have at 'er.
Old 10-02-16, 11:01 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My previous owners 60k receipt is too complicated to determine the cost because so many upsells are mixed in. They charged to flush with 10 qts ATF and a can of $40 tranny cleaner. Funny when I pulled the pan at 80k the fluid was black. There is no way they did anything more than a drain and fill of 3 qts if even that. If you don't do it yourself or know and trust the mechanic your odds are 50/50. Makes you want to just go without at least you aren't paying for nothing that way.
Old 10-02-16, 12:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My previous owners 60k receipt is too complicated to determine the cost because so many upsells are mixed in. They charged to flush with 10 qts ATF and a can of $40 tranny cleaner. Funny when I pulled the pan at 80k the fluid was black. There is no way they did anything more than a drain and fill of 3 qts if even that. If you don't do it yourself or know and trust the mechanic your odds are 50/50. Makes you want to just go without at least you aren't paying for nothing that way.
The only way I'd trust a dealer - or anyone else - doing a tranny service on these cars is if I was standing right next to them. I mean right next to them...not 30 yards away...not watching from a window in the waiting room with binoculars. Right there.

It's too easy to screw people on this service...you can't pull a dipstick to check the fluid (and see if it was changed, or even filled to capacity), and the fluid level check procedure is too time consuming to trust a flat rate tech to do. A flat rate tech is going to let this thing idle in his bay, with a hose on it, put a scan tool on it, go to tranny temp, put it in the air, pull the drain plug, look for a "light stream", and add more fluid if it needs it? So he's then going to let the car down, shut it off, unscrew the pain in the rear plug on the side, add more fluid, start the car, check tranny temp, pull the drain plug, look for a light stream and then repeat again if necessary? Lol. No.

The only way I could see them doing this thing somewhat accurately is if they purposely overfill it by half a quart, start it up, aim a digital thermometer on the drain plug and pull out the plug when it's close to specs...and let the extra fluid out until it flows in a "light stream". Either that or these guys have figured out how quickly it takes for this transmission to reach operating temperature - and believe me there's people on the internet that have tried to guesstimate.

I have worked with some of the biggest hacks in the world at dealers - and that's not saying they're all bad, because some are very good - but I don't know many experienced flat rate techs that wouldn't cut corners on this job. I once knew a guy who wouldn't even perform an oil change correctly. He'd drain two quarts, fill it, and spray off the oil filter with brake clean.
Old 10-02-16, 06:02 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

How do I know they filled 9.1 quarts engine oil? Last time I pull the very long engine stick out., I see more oil staying between 2 marks at the end of the stick