LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire comments please?

Old 09-09-11, 03:33 AM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought four (4) Bridgestone Serenity tires late yesterday from Tires Plus, luckily there was an ad from Costco that saved me another $76.00 off a set of four tires.
Tires Plus agreed to match the price, so for the four tires, I ended up paying just under $899.00.
Old 09-09-11, 05:59 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

today bought (5) Michelin Pilot Super Sport $845 w/nitrogen...
Old 09-10-11, 02:57 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
I'll have to inquire if that is an extra charge or included in Costco's standard installation charge; does anyone know? I guess I figured they would just reuse the TPMS modules already there.

My "problem" now is that Lexus had installed two new EL42's during the certification process prior to my purchase and those still have good tread. So to switch to the Serenity's I'll feel like I'm being wasteful replacing all four, but I don't like the idea of mixing tire types, only get the $70 off when buying a set of four, and don't particularly care for the ride of the EL42 tires. Decisions. Decisions.
I ordered the Bridgestone Serenitys through Costco and they reused the TPMS modules when they installed the tires. They are way better than the stock EL 42s. Very quiet and smooth ride.
Old 09-10-11, 03:25 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is $899 out the door with mounting and balancing? Also i(we) like to hear your feedback on the tires ride.

Originally Posted by sellshomes
I just bought four (4) Bridgestone Serenity tires late yesterday from Tires Plus, luckily there was an ad from Costco that saved me another $76.00 off a set of four tires.
Tires Plus agreed to match the price, so for the four tires, I ended up paying just under $899.00.
Old 09-10-11, 03:55 PM
mross
Driver School Candidate

Bridgestone factory235/50/18 tires are very quiet and perform well. I have a brand new set I just took off when I upgraded to 20" wheels and tires. They are for sale if you are in the Dallas Texas area
Old 09-11-11, 04:01 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
priced "today" Michelin A/S Sport 235/50r/18 $950 (mounted,balanced) out the door w/nitrogen.. gotta pull the trigger soon (road trip next weekend)
I've always been a big fan of Michelin tires, and TireRack's customers seem to rates those near the top. Costco has them for only $6 more per tire than the Bridgestone Serenity's. With their Bridgestone sale ending today and the Michelin's going on sale Thursday (9/15) ... $70 off set of four ... I felt I needed to make a decision.

... and I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which with mounting, balancing, nitrogen and road hazard came to $918 (before sales tax), with installation planned for Thursday. Admittedly the reports of drift concern me, but I wanted a tire that can handle well in snow and ice, and if I can trust TireRack customers it is tops in that regard and equal to the Serenity on the rest. For those of you in the warmer states the Serenity may very well be a better choice. Either is going to be a big improvement over the "junk tires" (EL42's) I'm riding on.
Old 09-11-11, 05:21 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Either is going to be a big improvement over the "junk tires" (EL42's) I'm riding on.
Yeah, and the EL42's are grossly over-priced.
Old 09-14-11, 05:15 AM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Is $899 out the door with mounting and balancing? Also i(we) like to hear your feedback on the tires ride.
No, that was the price of the tires only at $224.75, the tires were discounted $76.00 from the Tire Plus vs Costco price difference.
Old 09-14-11, 06:15 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still a BIG fan of Michelin MXM4's.

Super quiet. Great "trackability."

No "drift."

Excellent mileage.

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 09-14-11, 08:34 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey100
I'm still a BIG fan of Michelin MXM4's.

Super quiet. Great "trackability."

No "drift."

Excellent mileage.

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA
+1 I have the Primacy MXM4's as well and can confirm that they run really well in dry and wet conditions and are very quiet. No drift on my car either. I have 245/45-19's.
Old 09-14-11, 08:44 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

... I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which with mounting, balancing, nitrogen and road hazard came to $918 (before sales tax), with installation planned for Thursday. Admittedly the reports of drift concern me, but I wanted a tire that can handle well in snow and ice, ...
Got them installed tonight and my concerns of drift were for not. Perhaps I just lucked into a good set, but after driving on the interstate for several exits as well as on some main and side roads I was nothing but impressed. A major improvement in handling and road noise; and no correction in steering is required to continue dead ahead. :-)

I should know in a of couple of months how they handle in snow (I'm not expecting a vast improvement), but for now all I can say is, Costco and Michelin rock!
Old 09-15-11, 11:11 AM
Shorty006
Driver School Candidate

My 2009 LS460 came with the BS Turanzas. They now have 39K on them and have been OK except they are very noisy. It sounds from other posts that the Serenity's are quieter. I've got to decide soon because I'm leaving on another trip soon and the BS's are about done.
Old 09-15-11, 10:24 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got them installed tonight and my concerns of drift were for not. Perhaps I just lucked into a good set, but after driving on the interstate for several exits as well as on some main and side roads I was nothing but impressed. A major improvement in handling and road noise; and no correction in steering is required to continue dead ahead. :-)

I should know in a of couple of months how they handle in snow (I'm not expecting a vast improvement), but for now all I can say is, Costco and Michelin rock!
Good to hear that you didn't have the right side drift with the Michelin sport A/S. I think I will go with the same route when it's time to change out my EL42's.
Old 09-17-11, 08:48 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 30K on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and they will need to be replaced in the next 5-8K miles. Had them rotated every 5K miles and was hoping to ge 50K miles out them - so much for hope. These tires handle well but don't last. WON'T BUY THEM AGAIN!
Old 09-18-11, 05:38 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chris07ls
I have 30K on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and they will need to be replaced in the next 5-8K miles. Had them rotated every 5K miles and was hoping to ge 50K miles out them - so much for hope. These tires handle well but don't last. WON'T BUY THEM AGAIN!
Michelin has a "6 Years / 45,000 miles" warranty on them, so you should be due a pro rata refund. I saw some similar remarks in the TireRack reviews and they stated a partial credit was received based on the tires inability to reach 45K on their LS460. I don't put that many miles on my tires and typically replace based on age, but it sounds like you would qualify. Let us know what you end up getting once you do replace them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire comments please?