LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 05:27 PM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brembo Brakes

Just got my 2011 ls 460 sport. Any help on how to quiet the brembo brakes? Dealer said noise was nonmal because of the size of the pads.
Old 09-02-11, 06:08 PM
JG132
Driver

Originally Posted by JG132
Just got my 2011 ls 460 sport. Any help on how to quiet the brembo brakes? Dealer said noise was nonmal because of the size of the pads.
Should read 2011 LS 460 with the sport option.
Old 09-06-11, 08:23 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of noise are you getting? I have a 2010 Sport and didn't have an issue with brake noise until I had to replace the Brembo's at about 15,000 miles. Ever since then they squeal badly when slowing to a stop with slight brake pressue. Very annoying/frusttrating since my original brakes were so quiet.

There are a lot of articles/posts on other car sites about noise from Brembo's. I know that the bed-in process is critical on high performance brakes. I was never told that when they replaced my brakes and I doubt that my dealership did any bed-in after they did the work.
Old 09-06-11, 08:32 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u guys need to add some brake lube to the shims and it'll quiet down.
Old 09-06-11, 09:08 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
u guys need to add some brake lube to the shims and it'll quiet down.
Thanks. Is that fix pretty typical for high performance brake set ups like the Brembo's?
Old 09-06-11, 09:11 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

usually, but they also have liquid lubricant that u can add to the face of the brake pad to quiet them down also.
Old 09-08-11, 05:13 PM
JG132
Driver

Same type or noise with light breaking and release. Taking it to the back to the dealer to seek a resolution. Talked with several techs and can't get a good answer. Thanks for the info. I let you knw what the dealer has to say.
Old 09-09-11, 04:07 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Same type or noise with light breaking and release. Taking it to the back to the dealer to seek a resolution. Talked with several techs and can't get a good answer. Thanks for the info. I let you knw what the dealer has to say.
I hate to tell you that I've been going round and round with Lexus now for weeks on the brake squeal issue. They tell me that everything is installed properly and was given the bed-in procedure after installation, they used brake lube on the shims and have checked into other aftermarket options. They've had their Regional Engineer look at it and have checked into other aftermarket parts options. Their official position is that they can't fix the brake squeal and don't have any options where they will guarantee that the brakes will not squeal. I didn't want to do anything to the brakes that might void the warrantee on them.

The squeal had gotten so bad that I worked out a deal with Lexus and the dealership to exchange my '10 Sport for an '11 SWB with the Comfort, NAV, ML and the Advanced Parking Assist packages. They offered me the Touring Package but it is basically a faux Sport as it doesn't have the Sport air suspension, sport tuned transmission, paddle shifters, etc. I decided that if I wasn't going to have the Sport guts that I might as well get the better radio package. There were some financial gyrations as part of the negotiations but ultimately we did the deal and I picked up the car last night.

Quite a difference in how it drives. Much different transmission shift points and the suspension difference is extremely noticeable. I guess that now I have a car suitable for my age (64), but I can tell you that I miss the Sport and how it drove/handled. I came out of a BMW 550 Sport that handled like it was on rails. I have a heavy foot and like to push my cars through twisties. No more of that for me.
Old 09-09-11, 04:46 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

^ oh man..
why do i have a feeling you'll be trading in the LS?

You are going to miss the handling.. A LOT..
Old 09-09-11, 10:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Are the using ceramic or semi metallic pads?? I just slotted rotors for my LS but I get this weird whirling noise if I stop hard from high speed. Sounds like stopping with old summer tires.
Old 09-10-11, 02:02 PM
JG132
Driver

I don't get a squeal noise, it more of a grabbing noise as if the pads are not releasing quickly enough. Same sound when brakeing hard. Sound like holding the brake and pressing the gas at the same time.
Old 09-10-11, 07:27 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
^ oh man..
why do i have a feeling you'll be trading in the LS?

You are going to miss the handling.. A LOT..
You're right - I already miss the handling a lot. The car is much more "floaty" than the Sport, even compared to the few occassions that I had the air suspension setting in the "normal" position. I had it set for "sport" virtually all the time. I've been driving it pretty tame given that it is new so I haven't pounded the pedal yet but I can tell when accelerating onto the highway that there seems to be a big difference in the shift points. I also miss the shifters on the steering wheel - I used to use them pretty frequently as well as the sport seats.

Don't get me wrong - it is a great car. Quiet, smooth, and very comfortable. Just not the car I would have chosen.

In terms of trading it in - that is not going to happen. This is a company car and I'm pretty much locked into the lease. I wound up with a 2 year lease that will run 6 months past the end of my previous lease and will have to wait until the end to get something else.
Old 09-14-11, 05:59 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One excellent suggestion when brakes are replaced is to use ONLY Akebono Ceramic Pads.

AKEBONO invented the ceramic brake pad, and now makes them for a majority of new car manufacturers, as an OEM supplier. I have successfully used them on all of our vehicles, from a Jag Van den Plas, to a Mercedes SL500, a Ford F150 and a Mercury Gran Marquis.

I do NOT subscribe to the notion that all ceramic pads are about the same. I have seen the results, and for long-term wearability, low-to-no brake dust, to superb Stopping Power, I am a AKEBONO fan.

And no ....... I do not work for the company. I am retired, from the banking products industry.

I sincerely hope this benefits someone.

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA
Old 10-01-11, 02:22 PM
JG132
Driver

Originally Posted by Mikey100
One excellent suggestion when brakes are replaced is to use ONLY Akebono Ceramic Pads.

AKEBONO invented the ceramic brake pad, and now makes them for a majority of new car manufacturers, as an OEM supplier. I have successfully used them on all of our vehicles, from a Jag Van den Plas, to a Mercedes SL500, a Ford F150 and a Mercury Gran Marquis.

I do NOT subscribe to the notion that all ceramic pads are about the same. I have seen the results, and for long-term wearability, low-to-no brake dust, to superb Stopping Power, I am a AKEBONO fan.

And no ....... I do not work for the company. I am retired, from the banking products industry.

I sincerely hope this benefits someone.

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA
I'm finding out other makes are having the same problem with brembo brakes. Read a Ford blog that brembo is changing the material make up of their pads to correct the squeal problem. The Ford dealer replaced the pads free of charge. Anyone else have any related info. This would be helpful to take to the Lexus folks!
Old 10-02-11, 01:28 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most brembo brakes available in the market have pads that are interchangeable with each other, maybe look into an aftermarket company that makes the same pad shape.

For example if you look up the brembo front brakes for the G35 / 350z / Evo 8 / WRX / STi for each certain year the part numbers were identical. Maybe it will be the same with the LS? This way you could choose the quietest material

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes