LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Acceleration Problems after Dealer Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 05:26 PM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the transmission fluid will be changed soon I didn't see it done on the service records from lexus drivers, but as far as the fuel additives/cleaners I personally am not a big fan of doing so. From prior experiences these cleaners are designed to do just that, clean with conditioners and such and overtime some of them weaken the front/rear main seals, cam seals etc... and begin to leak. But these are rare cases and if I don't have to then I won't. I'm no expert but it's just personal preference . Thank you for your response and insight.
Old 11-18-15, 05:40 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A correlation between oil change and the hesitation is present. However we can't stop doing oil changes. It may be a bad idea to pour a crankcase cleaner in a $15K engine. Is the oil entering the chamber & causing momentary timing changes? ToBeDetermined A few owners claim they loose a qt of oil between changes. The lost oil doesn't magically disappear.

Last edited by superdenso; 11-19-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-19-15, 08:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by davisk
Yes the transmission fluid will be changed soon I didn't see it done on the service records from lexus drivers, but as far as the fuel additives/cleaners I personally am not a big fan of doing so. From prior experiences these cleaners are designed to do just that, clean with conditioners and such and overtime some of them weaken the front/rear main seals, cam seals etc... and begin to leak. But these are rare cases and if I don't have to then I won't. I'm no expert but it's just personal preference . Thank you for your response and insight.
I am not a snake oil fan either, but used the Rislone as a last resort since all else failed. Once I used the Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner and used TGMO 0W20, my problems disappeared. It was a huge relief.
Old 11-19-15, 11:25 AM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I am not a snake oil fan either, but used the Rislone as a last resort since all else failed. Once I used the Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner and used TGMO 0W20, my problems disappeared. It was a huge relief.
This I am willing to look into.
Old 11-19-15, 11:43 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I looked over the VVT mechanics last night to see where the problem could be occurring.
It's speculation on my part but I believe it could be a problem with deposits on the VVT locking pin.
When you initially step on the gas (not speed dependent and where the hesitation is reported) the spring loaded locking pin needs the force of oil pressure to release it so the cam can move forward and advance timing. Every time you press on the gas the VVT locking pin unlocks, advances the arm forward and when you let go of the throttle it locks again. If there is deposit build up in this area it will be sticky and may not lock and unlock consistently giving way to brief bouts of hesitation.

Take a look at this video starting at 1:40

Also take a look at the oil pressure at the VVT in the closed oil pressure loop. You will see how oil pressure spikes at a certain point giving way for the unlocking VVT lock pin.

Last edited by Devh; 11-19-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 08:25 AM
superdenso
Instructor

I reviewed the videos and would like to make it a trilogy:

Old 11-22-15, 04:04 PM
superdenso
Instructor

When an oil discussions kicks-off, someone credits Lexus with stating 0w20 is the oil to use in an LS. This is part of the statement. My owners manual has a judgement-based suggestion that higher viscosity oil can be used, and I intend to use it.

This is a picture of the owner's manual (refer to your manual for specifics regarding your model year).

Last edited by superdenso; 11-22-15 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 06:45 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The language you are citing is talking about the warm viscosity value, not the cold value. It implies using 0W30 (at the cost of some fuel economy), not the 5W30 you are often suggesting.
Old 11-22-15, 07:05 PM
superdenso
Instructor

5w20 appears in the language in all model years. Therefore a viscosity of 5w30 is within specification. The manual is not written like a formula for water (H2O) or triglyceride (C55H98O6). The writer intentionally left room for judgement. More importantly driving over 65mph may be considered high speed driving; and extended oil change intervals may be considered an increased load.

*This is how a specific direction without a substitute reads:
Use only iridium-tipped spark plugs. Do not adjust gap when tuning engine

Last edited by superdenso; 11-22-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 08:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

increased load.
It actually says EXTREME load. I would interpret this as towing. As I've stated in some other threads, I've seen LS's towing large trailers in Europe.
Old 11-23-15, 05:08 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Economy

It actually says EXTREME load. I would interpret this as towing. As I've stated in some other threads, I've seen LS's towing large trailers in Europe.
0w20 is for light load and winter conditions. Extended oil change intervals and brisk driving don't exactly equal light loading or economy style procedures.
Old 11-23-15, 08:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I guess until Lexus defines "extreme load", I'll stick with their recommendation. Other manufacturers use the term, "severe use". This usually is defined as frequent stop and go, extended idling, police or taxi/fleet service and towing. I'll also continue to have my oil analyzed by Blackstone every other change. I'm about to do anther oil change which is nearing 10k miles. I doubt I'll extend past 10k regardless of the results, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
Old 11-24-15, 06:37 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Davisk and others,
I'm a bit of a lamebrain, but have been driving Lexus for over 20 years. Every time this issue occurs to me, GX, LS, SC, it can be set right by disconnecting the positive battery cable for about 30 minutes. Then drive the car as you like, hard or not, to reprogram the ECU. Has ALWAYS worked for me to remedy the symptoms described. Almost always occurs after an oil change (go figure!) but my wifeys GX460 does it occasionally outside of an oil change.
Old 11-25-15, 12:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess until Lexus defines "extreme load", I'll stick with their recommendation. Other manufacturers use the term, "severe use". This usually is defined as frequent stop and go, extended idling, police or taxi/fleet service and towing. I'll also continue to have my oil analyzed by Blackstone every other change. I'm about to do anther oil change which is nearing 10k miles. I doubt I'll extend past 10k regardless of the results, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
Extreme load is different than severe use. Our cars unless towing, racing or going up mountainous passes will not be under extreme load. Autoban maybe if it is driven above 100 miles per hour consistently. Severe use is exactly what you said as being stop and go driving, dusty conditions and extended idling. In most cases most modern factory synthetic oil is rated for severe use at regular oil change intervals.
Old 11-25-15, 05:32 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devh
Extreme load is different than severe use. Our cars unless towing, racing or going up mountainous passes will not be under extreme load. Autoban maybe if it is driven above 100 miles per hour consistently. Severe use is exactly what you said as being stop and go driving, dusty conditions and extended idling. In most cases most modern factory synthetic oil is rated for severe use at regular oil change intervals.
The engineers/legal dept. state in the handbook there is a "better oil" with higher viscosity, and it's better suited for higher speeds and stresses. Further, an oil filter is on the market that is designed for synthetic oil and extended use. Yeah, I'll go ahead and use both an oil and oil filter designed for extended oil change intervals and higher stress. A light-duty or standard oil and filter can be used, but why bother if the cost difference is +/- $5. It's best not to "over-do" it, but In this case using the minimal spec. doesn't yield an advantage

Last edited by superdenso; 11-25-15 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Problems after Dealer Oil Change