LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 03:48 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Suspension Help

I have a 2008 LS460L without the air suspension. I have put almost 62K mi on the car, almost all of them highway.
All of the control arms and bushings were replaced in October at 46K mi along with a defective spring and rear strut mounts. At 51K the front strut assembly had to be replaced again. I just recently at 59K had to have more control arms replaced. Rotor clips had broken which caused the brakes to warp, replaced rotors. Warped is back.
When I cross over a joint on say a bridge, pavement, rough road it sounds like metal hitting metal (think a large bolt in a metal box) that comes from both sides of the front suspension.
Lexus says it is normal, but when you can hear it coming through the sunroof as you come up the street it isn't normal.
Anyone have ANY suggestions? I am getting very little assistance from customer care or the CPO program. Assistance meaning they wait weeks to call back.

Anyone know of a great independent lexus repair facility in the Northeastern USA? This problem is shredding rotors and tires. I am ready to start paying for it to be repaired rather than run around with Lexus.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.

Last edited by 460LCHI; 07-19-11 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-11, 05:00 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn! Im sorry to hear of all the trouble that you are going through. It sucks that Lexus is very slow to communicate with you (typical) but have you taken it to an independent shop and have them check it out? I'm sure there's some reputable shops in your area. Anyways I'm not an expert in suspension but I hope everything gets fixed. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-11, 06:00 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your help with my suspension issue noise back then. It turned out to be the brake pad...Sewell just clean and lubed and everything is quiet. Can't believe you still haev suspension problem after all those replacements...bring it back to Sewell? I have yet to see a dealership that has the level of service as Sewell.
Old 07-19-11, 07:22 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your email. I had a call from the advisor saying that they were unable to hear the noise. Apparently the sunroof was not open or the widow down. Go back tomorrow to drive with them.

I agree with you. It might be time to have things taken apart and replaced one by one of they are unable to find the problem.

Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted by adamls2
Damn! Im sorry to hear of all the trouble that you are going through. It sucks that Lexus is very slow to communicate with you (typical) but have you taken it to an independent shop and have them check it out? I'm sure there's some reputable shops in your area. Anyways I'm not an expert in suspension but I hope everything gets fixed. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-11, 07:27 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Hey stranger! Funny you should mention Sewell because I made that call today actually. My vehicle is CPO and the lumbar adjustment gets stuck and starts popping. Apparently it doesn't sound like it will be covered here in PA as I have been told it would be over a $1k to fix, so I called down there to ask about it and was told that it should be covered.

I am in PA at the moment, but will be headed down to Austin the end of August for a few months. I think I will take your advice, stop in Dallas for a few days while Sewell goes through the car.

Hope you are doing well and have no melted in the heat down there!!!

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your help with my suspension issue noise back then. It turned out to be the brake pad...Sewell just clean and lubed and everything is quiet. Can't believe you still haev suspension problem after all those replacements...bring it back to Sewell? I have yet to see a dealership that has the level of service as Sewell.
Old 07-20-11, 09:15 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
Hey stranger! Funny you should mention Sewell because I made that call today actually. My vehicle is CPO and the lumbar adjustment gets stuck and starts popping. Apparently it doesn't sound like it will be covered here in PA as I have been told it would be over a $1k to fix, so I called down there to ask about it and was told that it should be covered.

I am in PA at the moment, but will be headed down to Austin the end of August for a few months. I think I will take your advice, stop in Dallas for a few days while Sewell goes through the car.

Hope you are doing well and have no melted in the heat down there!!!
Heat is killing me..but I'll survive.

I just found out that the dealer has a machine called "ChassisEAR". What this does it mount under your chassis and they can listen for noise and pin-point exactly where it is located. You may want to inquire about it. Good luck.
Old 07-21-11, 06:23 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like mine was - speed bumps, gravel road, curb at the driveway made the front suspension sound like something was broken or loose. Was hard to get the tech to hear it, but driving down the street hitting all those round white lane dividers did the trick (our dividers are above ground in Houston).

After they replaced the struts, control arms, bushing, bearings, etc. to no avail, a call to Japan determined that it was the steering rack & pinion unit. A rather unique problem, but not unheard of by the engineers in Japan.

Then they took a rack & pinion unit out of a new LS460 to test - all the noise went away. Finally, they ordered one for me - about $3.5K IIRC, fortunately under warranty.
Old 07-21-11, 02:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Are there any other symptoms one should watch out for other than the clunking???
Old 07-25-11, 06:00 AM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

I just looked it up online. I am either going to pay the service manager for an hour of his time or the mechanic. I might also just go buy the ChassisEar. I didn't know such a thing existed, but when people can hear me coming up the block then it is time for this problem to be addressed!! You are the best! THANK YOU.

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Heat is killing me..but I'll survive.

I just found out that the dealer has a machine called "ChassisEAR". What this does it mount under your chassis and they can listen for noise and pin-point exactly where it is located. You may want to inquire about it. Good luck.
Old 07-25-11, 06:03 AM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

You have explained EXACTLY what is going on. Each joint in the cement or a bridge, semi rough patched road, pulling into or out of a driveway with a lip. It is enough to drive me insane. I can feel it under my feet and thru the steering wheel.
I have had one strut replaced, 2nd set of control arms, and it is still making the noise and all over the road.
My drivers side lumbar needs to be replaced so when I take it in I will bring up the ChassisEar and the information you have brought to light! Thank you!! MIKE

Originally Posted by bob321
Sounds like mine was - speed bumps, gravel road, curb at the driveway made the front suspension sound like something was broken or loose. Was hard to get the tech to hear it, but driving down the street hitting all those round white lane dividers did the trick (our dividers are above ground in Houston).

After they replaced the struts, control arms, bushing, bearings, etc. to no avail, a call to Japan determined that it was the steering rack & pinion unit. A rather unique problem, but not unheard of by the engineers in Japan.

Then they took a rack & pinion unit out of a new LS460 to test - all the noise went away. Finally, they ordered one for me - about $3.5K IIRC, fortunately under warranty.