LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drove my first LS460 today: Very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 10:20 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
This is exactly why I purchased my LS and I have no regrets. I might add that my car does not porpoise but then again, the majority of roads I travel on are relatively smooth
+1. The tomblike silence and isolation from the harsh world are a PLUS to many LS owners like me. And I've had first, third and now fourth generation LSs. Each generation has been better than the previous. Also my 2009 is a short wheel base AWD car that comes with the air suspension. That being said I STILL can't feel a damn ounce of difference between SPORT and COMFORT modes and think the switch is a dummy switch for psychological faking out of the driver. The power of suggestion.
Old 06-11-11, 10:32 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

BTW, the NAV is the biggest disappointment of the car. Too frigging cumbersome. I can live with the lockout-while-driving thing, but why can't it just have a super intuitive "navigate to" button like the $35 TOMTOM app in my iPhone ?
Old 06-12-11, 03:33 PM
Terrapin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riceater
I've been in a few of German cars. Audi S4, A4, A5, BMW 335i, 535xi, 135i, M3, Mercedes C300, C350, etc.

BMW and Audi are the same story. Crappy interior. BMW is the worst by far. No LED lighting, no back up camera, no air-conditioned seats, no touchscreen NAV, sound system is mediocre at best when compared to the Mark Levinson package, more road noise, crappier reliability, more expensive maintenance, horrible resale value, I mean the list goes on and on. You have to spend nearly $60,000 on a German car to even come close to comparing to the bang for buck you get in a Lexus IS, GS, or LS. The one thing BMW, Mercedes, and Audi have going for them is looks.. but like a relationship, it takes more than looks to get the job done.
LOL. The reason that people buy Lexus is because they are NOT BMWs and vice versa. I have known plenty of people out looking for a luxury sport sedan that never even gave Lexus a thought. Similarly, plenty of people looking for luxo highway cruisers went straight to their Lexus dealer. In many respects you are comparing apples and oranges. Some people like to "drive" their cars, and others like to be transported in them. Neither is "right" or "wrong", just different things that people want.
Old 06-12-11, 04:37 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Terrapin
LOL. The reason that people buy Lexus is because they are NOT BMWs and vice versa. I have known plenty of people out looking for a luxury sport sedan that never even gave Lexus a thought. Similarly, plenty of people looking for luxo highway cruisers went straight to their Lexus dealer. In many respects you are comparing apples and oranges. Some people like to "drive" their cars, and others like to be transported in them. Neither is "right" or "wrong", just different things that people want.

+1. Exactly. I do NOT enjoy "feeling the road"! THIS IS THE RUST BELT!! The LESS I feel the road, the better!
Old 06-12-11, 05:40 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
+1. That being said I STILL can't feel a damn ounce of difference between SPORT and COMFORT modes and think the switch is a dummy switch for psychological faking out of the driver. The power of suggestion.
Take it in for service and have them check it. There is a world of difference between sport and comfort modes in my '10 460L. I can even feel a difference between normal and comfort modes.
Old 06-12-11, 05:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

It's me, not the car. I couldn't feel it in my old LS430. Or on my brothers GX.
Old 06-13-11, 07:43 AM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the info guys, interesting reading and commentary. I drove the SWB LS non sport and love it! Frankly, I like to be coddled as I approach the big 5-0 this summer and the SWB is great without the float. I have owned 8 MB and 4 BMWs and no longer "need" stiffness (although my S430, 300SEL 6.3, and Bavaria had great rides and were not stiff). I do need reliability and the Europeans just break too often. Were it not for that, an '08 A8 would be in serious contention.

I don't need to drive the sport LS given how well the regular drove.

RWD cars just drive better- As good as the Avalon is with many Lexus like features, buttery ride (with no float), buttery light but accurate steering, whisper quiet inside, it just does not "feel" like an LS (or Genesis or S class). I wish I could put my finger on what makes the difference- it is a mystery.

Anyhoo, it looks like a SWB 2008 LS is the ticket- once I pull the trigger, I'll post.
Old 06-13-11, 08:36 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Good analysis. I've owned 7 MBs and 4 Audis...never a month without some problem. Lexus is exactly the opposite
Old 06-13-11, 09:46 AM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daryll40
Good analysis. I've owned 7 MBs and 4 Audis...never a month without some problem. Lexus is exactly the opposite
When I approached a broker friend about locating an A8 at the Manheim auction, he recommended buying two so I would always have one to drive while the other was in the shop being repaired.

I have never owned an Audi but my 1980 Citroen CX Diesel was very reliable as was my '85 Peugeot 505 Diesel which is rather shocking. These days, I avoid European cars.
Old 06-13-11, 11:47 AM
OBRon
Rookie

I got the 2011 LS 460L with the standard suspension and standard wheels to maintain good road feel without any float while also not having a harsher ride from lower profile tires. The L just affords nearly 5 extra inches of rear seat leg room which is great for trips to the beach condo and chauffeuring friends and family around town. Lots of luxury features come standard on the L.

One thing I dearly love and use almost all the time is the radar cruise control. Love it! It's an optional extra that has to be factory ordered but well worth the wait. That feature also comes with the pre-collision braking system that has worked a few times to help avoid some accidents. One time, a Canadian goose was crossing the road in front of me at night and I didn't see it right away but my car did. An alarm sounded, the seat belts tightened, and the brakes were applied before I knew what was happening. The goose was fine.

The L is a big, heavy car but I love the way it handles. Yes, the understeer makes it less nimble in the turns but I have no trouble making the car go where I want at speed. It's really a great car!
Old 06-13-11, 12:48 PM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OBRon
I got the 2011 LS 460L with the standard suspension and standard wheels to maintain good road feel without any float while also not having a harsher ride from lower profile tires. The L just affords nearly 5 extra inches of rear seat leg room which is great for trips to the beach condo and chauffeuring friends and family around town. Lots of luxury features come standard on the L.

One thing I dearly love and use almost all the time is the radar cruise control. Love it! It's an optional extra that has to be factory ordered but well worth the wait. That feature also comes with the pre-collision braking system that has worked a few times to help avoid some accidents. One time, a Canadian goose was crossing the road in front of me at night and I didn't see it right away but my car did. An alarm sounded, the seat belts tightened, and the brakes were applied before I knew what was happening. The goose was fine.

The L is a big, heavy car but I love the way it handles. Yes, the understeer makes it less nimble in the turns but I have no trouble making the car go where I want at speed. It's really a great car!
I like the technology- I thought I wanted an L for the extra room in the rear like my old S430. One of the reasons for joining this learned forum is to get info. I will need to drive an L without air susp. I do have 3 kids to carry on family vacations and the room could be well worth it in the L (as long as I don't get sea sick on a bouncing diving board floating down the road). I have mentioned the Avalon several times- it has more room than the SWB and the added bonus of a flat floor. It is close to a Lexus in many ways but no LS.
Old 06-13-11, 01:22 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Unfortunately I have to agree about the rear hump. We take my wife's RX330 generally when someone needs to ride in the back. The flat floor on that otherwise smaller vehicle is a big plus
Old 06-13-11, 01:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

price you pay for rwd
Old 06-13-11, 07:26 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
price you pay for rwd
And worth it, nothing like a RWD V-8!
Old 06-14-11, 05:27 AM