LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

engine shroud covers

Old 05-17-11, 07:45 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a couple of days without the side covers, no noticeable difference in wind noise. I decided to put them back on since the engine bay without the covers just looked ugly. I just have to make it a habit of checking the engine bay after any service before I leave. According to everyone's opinion, no harm with the heat retention and air flow. Thanks to everyone's replies.
Old 05-30-11, 01:56 AM
Alaska
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the covers should not have any impacts. As an example, the Lexus LX570 and Toyota Land Cruiser V8 have virtually the same engine bay. The LX has a cover, but the Land Cruiser does not.
Old 06-10-11, 10:59 AM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up on the plastic clips that hold the engine cover on. I recent purchased a 2007 LS 460. While I was getting it smogged the tech and I started poking around under the hood. I grabbed one of the side plastic panels and it just about fell off in my hand. All of the plastic clips popped out and a couple fell into the engine compartment. So I started looking around and noticed I was missing a lot of the plastic clips and the ones that were on there were doing very little at holding the panels in place. The factory clips did not fit the holes as they should have, they were too small for the holes. I went to my local ACE Hardware and picked up a bunch of plastic automotive clips. They had all sorts of different kinds in different lengths and hole sizes. I found some great ones that hold all of my panels firmly in place. I picked about 10 extra ones to use as spares incase they brake or get lost. Let me know if you want me to post up a picture of the clips I purchased.

Last edited by Newps; 06-10-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-10-11, 02:22 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Newps
Just a heads up on the plastic clips that hold the engine cover on. I recent purchased a 2007 LS 460. While I was getting it smogged the tech and I started poking around under the hood. I grabbed one of the side plastic panels and it just about fell off in my hand. All of the plastic clips popped out and a couple fell into the engine compartment. So I started looking around and noticed I was missing a lot of the plastic clips and the ones that were on there was doing very little at holding the panels in place. The factory clips did not fit the holes as they should have, they were too small for the holes. I went to my local ACE Hardware and picked up a bunch of plastic automotive clips. They had all sorts of different kinds in different lengths and hole sizes. I found some great ones that hold all of my panels firmly in place. I picked about 10 extra ones to use as spares incase they brake or get lost. Let me know if you want me to post up a picture of the clips I purchased.
I have the same problem with my 08, but ya do you mind telling us the clips you got ?? I need to pick some of them up
Old 06-10-11, 03:56 PM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Sure no problem, I will shoot a picture of them and post it up.
Old 06-10-11, 05:51 PM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement Plastic Engine Shroud Clips

Attached are the ones I used. You can see how these have ribs that will lock down the plastic engine cover. I think they look better in the engine compartment too, they are just a bit cleaner then the stock ones.
Attached Thumbnails engine shroud covers-1.jpg   engine shroud covers-2.jpg   engine shroud covers-3.jpg  
Old 06-10-11, 06:18 PM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures with new clips in place

Yes I am shameless trying to pad my post count.
Attached Thumbnails engine shroud covers-1.jpg   engine shroud covers-2.jpg   engine shroud covers-3.jpg  
Old 06-11-11, 06:11 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 06-12-11, 05:13 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't think the clips are even designed or intended to last more than one or two times. The dealer should replace them when they service the car, since they charge an incidental material fee anyway. IMO.
Old 06-13-11, 06:59 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I don't think the clips are even designed or intended to last more than one or two times. The dealer should replace them when they service the car, since they charge an incidental material fee anyway. IMO.
Totally agree. If you check all the clips used on the engine covers, you'll probably find at least half of them are damaged.
Old 06-13-11, 07:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I just stopped by my dealership and ordered 10 of the clips at a cost of $0.99 each. Hard to believe they only had one in stock. They should have buckets full in the service area so they can be replaced when they service the vehicles.

Regardless, it's silly to have broken clips when you can fix the problem on this $70,000+ car for a buck or so. Just a shame that we have to do it ourselves.
Old 06-14-11, 12:43 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Niuce!!! I'm going to pick them up (as well as some spare clips) sometime this week thanks for posting up pics!
Old 06-14-11, 08:12 AM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I just stopped by my dealership and ordered 10 of the clips at a cost of $0.99 each. Hard to believe they only had one in stock. They should have buckets full in the service area so they can be replaced when they service the vehicles.

Regardless, it's silly to have broken clips when you can fix the problem on this $70,000+ car for a buck or so. Just a shame that we have to do it ourselves.
Report back on how well the (brand new) stock ones work. I can't see how these will be able to hold the plastic panels firmly in place. Maybe mine (the ones in the photos above) were not the factory ones. No way were these going to hold the panels in place, too small for the holes. With the ribbed ones I can pull up on the panels and they will not come off at all. I will have to use a flat head screw driver to pop them up enough until I can get them out with my fingers. Not that it's much money but the ribbed ones were .33 each.
Old 06-14-11, 08:48 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Newps
Report back on how well the (brand new) stock ones work. I can't see how these will be able to hold the plastic panels firmly in place. Maybe mine (the ones in the photos above) were not the factory ones. No way were these going to hold the panels in place, too small for the holes. With the ribbed ones I can pull up on the panels and they will not come off at all. I will have to use a flat head screw driver to pop them up enough until I can get them out with my fingers. Not that it's much money but the ribbed ones were .33 each.
The stock one's work fine. After inserting the clip you push the center plunger down. It spreads the end of the clips and that allows the end of the clip to be larger than the hole diameter. To remove, you turn the plunger with a screwdriver, which lifts the plunger enough you can pull it up. This then allows the clip to be removed by pulling it out as the clip ends will be compressed and you draw it out.

But, the clip ends are easily broken off during removal. Consequently they can only be used until the ends break off.
Old 06-17-11, 12:16 PM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I've kept those covers off since day one

Interesting theory about pedestrian survival (I guess you're modeling a hit to Ironman if the person goes through the crumple zones, foam in the bumper, and metal hood to touch the top of the engine) but for me, personally, I've kept those side ones off for aesthetics and accesibility.

When its all covered up, it looks like an electric car, or a Mac, or something that only a branded technician can fix. To me all the plastic says "don't worry about the wizards and rodents in here, just enjoy."

I keep the side covers off to make it look a little more conventional.

And, with how much I replace the 9005 bulbs (until I find a formula that works) its just plain handy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine shroud covers