LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Learned my lesson - Ready for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 08:52 PM
SgnDen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Learned my lesson - Ready for LS460

Well, last year I was vacillating like crazy between a BMW 550i (heads-up display, sport, etc etc loaded to the max) and Lexus LS460 (or GS450h at the time).

I ended-up with the 550i. The car is amazing - really great and nothing feels like that thing...BUT I swear, I drive for 4 weeks, shop for 1 week, repeat...have had it.

Today on a business trip I drove a 2008 LS460. OMG - I loved it. When I get home, I am selling the 550i as fast as I can or maybe trading-in to get an 07 or 08 LS460. I am 100% sold.

What should I expect to pay for an '07 or '08 LS460 with ML/Nav? Not sure of all the packages yet but it appears I can find one right around $40K, eh?

ANY markets that are better than others to buy in? I live in Denver but will go anywhere if it makes sense.

LOOOKING forward to getting the RIGHT LS460...the car I should have had from the beginning!

Any other advice?

Thanks!!
Old 04-12-11, 09:20 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a post on here yesterday from a member in So.Cal stating there were a lot to choose from in the $35k - $40k range. When I bought mine, So.Cal was one area I often check. Good luck.
Old 04-12-11, 09:30 PM
SgnDen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nat
There was a post on here yesterday from a member in So.Cal stating there were a lot to choose from in the $35k - $40k range. When I bought mine, So.Cal was one area I often check. Good luck.
Thanks Nat:

It so happens I am in L.A. right now for business. I'll def run to a few of the dealers and see what I can find!
Old 04-13-11, 12:01 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just bought my 08 38k miles for 38k
Old 04-13-11, 04:44 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

FL is always a good place to buy/look for and LS and good luck in your hunt!

Packages for 2007: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2007.html

Last edited by Tee; 04-13-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 06:11 AM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Lexus

Good luck, I have been looking for 4 weeks. Dealers are raising the flag on used 460's. Maybe wait till fall when new models come out.
Old 04-13-11, 06:49 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SgnDen
Well, last year I was vacillating like crazy between a BMW 550i (heads-up display, sport, etc etc loaded to the max) and Lexus LS460 (or GS450h at the time).
I'd be very interested to know what reasons were important in your decision to move from your BMW to a Lexus.

Similar to you, I traded in my '03 LS430 for a BMW, albeit a 330ix.

After 2 years, I disliked it so much that I traded it in for my current LS600hL.

MY reasons were primarily the rough ride, noise level, and the frequent trips to the dealer for problems, not to mention the rocket ship performance of the LS.

Yes, the BMW handling was much better, but that was the only plus, and outside of a track, how much would I use it?

HBH
Old 04-13-11, 09:10 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SgnDen
Thanks Nat:

It so happens I am in L.A. right now for business. I'll def run to a few of the dealers and see what I can find!
If you just go to Lexus.com and click on the "certified pre-owned" button near the top right I think you can save yourself some leg work to begin to get an idea of what the dealers have on offer in the areas you are considering.
Old 04-13-11, 09:18 AM
SgnDen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Helmar
I'd be very interested to know what reasons were important in your decision to move from your BMW to a Lexus.

Similar to you, I traded in my '03 LS430 for a BMW, albeit a 330ix.

After 2 years, I disliked it so much that I traded it in for my current LS600hL.

MY reasons were primarily the rough ride, noise level, and the frequent trips to the dealer for problems, not to mention the rocket ship performance of the LS.

Yes, the BMW handling was much better, but that was the only plus, and outside of a track, how much would I use it?

HBH
Helmar - I don't want to bash BMW on a Lexus forum, but since you asked, here are my top-line thoughts.

The '07 550i (Sport pkg, cold weather pkg, comfort access, heads-up diaplay, xenon, Logic7 stereo, etc etc) is the most imporessive vehicle I have ever owned (I have had 47 cars and motorcycles in my life so far).

PROS
  • Driving "feel" - overall experience behind the wheel is great. Very sport/fun oriented and super tight.
  • Power - Gotta love the German V-8, runs-out with a sense of power and serious "grunt".
  • Seats - The sport pkg seats are very nice (almost too adjustable).
  • Stance/Look - Aggressive, tough look, low to the ground gets a lot of "looks".

CONS
  • System failures - Yeah, great computer systems/engine management systems...I know because it foes-off every 4-6 weeks with something bad (engine overheat, brake fault, etc etc) - all were "sensors". Had flat-out "PULL OVER and STOP" types of messages (huge red exclamation mark in display) - towed - but "just" a sensor fault. Now there is ongoing fan hmmm and whirring that the dealer says is "normal"...? I'll spare you the details there. Enough.
  • Overall - I am simply "afraid" that when the CPO warranty runs-out, the probability of more issues worries me, and it'll cost me $5,000/year to run the thing.

Again, I am still a fan of BMW and think they drive/handle like no other...just a different animal to Lexus/Infinity/Audi, etc. I want to drive well over 100k miles and not worry that it's going to break constantly.

Hope that gives you some insight into my individual issue with THIS particular 550.

Truly has been a "Love/Hate" thing for sure!
Old 04-13-11, 01:06 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i have an 07, but I got a bunch of TSBs done to it. I'm not sure I would buy a first year produced car anymore, but I am essentially "up to date" luckily because I have a good dealership who took care of things, even 2K miles out of warranty. I think a late 08 produced LS would be a better bet. I think there are some extras that came in 2008..like USB connection and a few other things that the 07s don't have. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't 08 and newer LS's have all the wind noise issues addressed and Lamisafe front windows on the SWB..stuff like that?
Old 04-13-11, 01:24 PM
edarte
Pole Position

I don't think USB connection arrived until at least 2010 or maybe 2011. My 2009 does not have it, only Aux. The 2009s definitely have Lamisafe and maybe some/all (?) of the 2008s.

Of course, probably the biggest issue with mid-2008 and earlier models is to make sure the valve spring recall has been done.
Old 04-13-11, 02:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you should have no issues getting a good one for less than 40k. I got an 07 with 33k miles fully loaded SWB model for 39k
Old 04-13-11, 02:18 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
I don't think USB connection arrived until at least 2010 or maybe 2011. My 2009 does not have it, only Aux. The 2009s definitely have Lamisafe and maybe some/all (?) of the 2008s.

Of course, probably the biggest issue with mid-2008 and earlier models is to make sure the valve spring recall has been done.
oh snap..my bad, I thought it was 08 when they added USB. The lamisafe windows are def a plus, i love mine..car sounds real solid down the road..but if you find one under 50K miles and it doesn't have lamisafe, jot down those TSBs and take it to the dealer and complain about the wind noise. Tell them you want the TSBs addressed. You can tell the the window type by looking at the small print in the corner etched into the window. It will say Temperlite or Lamisafe. You want Lamisafe on the front windows of the SWB model. You can also tell by rolling down the front window a little and look at the top of a window..if it is real smooth with no crease, it is Temperlite..with a crease in middle, Lamisafe
Old 04-13-11, 03:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

just make sure the dude who does the work is good. I had to take my car back once bec the door panel was not put on the right way and now the edges of the top of the door where all of the parts for the door come together are coming apart. I will have them address this at the next service but damn..........
Old 04-14-11, 03:03 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people have to learn the hard way For a fun car, if I had the choice of an M3 or an ISF, I'd take the F.

Quick Reply: Learned my lesson - Ready for LS460