LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VSR recall, and several TBIS’s

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 05:45 PM
june
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSR recall, and several TBIS’s

I took my LS460 in for the VSR recall, and several TBIS’s. The results were that there is a slight hesitation in the acceleration.
They took the engine apart but had to take it apart a second time after the VSR was completed because they found a loose valve which they had to replace. They said I was losing combustion in one of the cylinders. That did not fix the hesitation, so they replaced the heads with new ones.
They said this corrected it.

Here is the kicker! My 2007 LS460 has only 23,165 miles on it.

I am very dissapointed in the quality of my car. Lexus is doing a fine job of handling the warranty work, but my problem is that all these items have gone bad on a Top-of-the Line Lexus with so few miles on it.

This car is supposed to be bullet proof. Did I get a lemon? They’ve had the car now for 23 days. Has any one had simmilar problems? Any comments would be appreciated, for example how to handle this with Lexus. I will be picking the car up on Saturday.

TBIS’s
Loose outside passenger mirror being replaced.
Noisey brake actuator. (on back order).
Center padded console armrest, needed more padding. (being replaced).
Replaced two motors in the drivers seat for the Lumbar assembly and Air Conditioning.
Control arms need new bushings, they where ripped, and the arm was almost rubbing on metal to metal. They replaced both front lower control arms.

Thanks, Marty
Old 03-11-11, 07:51 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you have every right to be mad at the quality, that is a lot of work for such low miles. I have an 07 as well, and bought it with 3x the miles you have. I had the glove box replaced because I didnt like how it fit, but my VSR went well and the vehicle runs like brand new. As for all the other items I would say that this is the exception not the rule. There are others with similar issues up here on the board, but overall most people have an outstanding experience with their 07-11 LS's. Consumer Reports just rated it again as a 99 out of 100 for premium luxury experience.

Hopefully this wraps up all the issues you will ever have with this vehicle

Keep us posted
Old 03-12-11, 07:43 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelievable! I had the VSR completed on mine, after had loud ticking with excessive hesitation with acceleration after 50 mph. The dealer replaced the left lifter and said it was bleeding, defective then everything was resolved.
Unacceptable that they had your car that long, probably due to lack of availiable parts. How are they compensating you? Loaner vehicle with gas?
Check for future services? Contact Lexus cooperate,customer service and file a complaint for the record.
Old 03-13-11, 07:26 PM
june
Rookie

Saturday I went to pick up my LS460. I sat down with the service writer and went over what work they had done to my car.

The Brake actuator is on back order.

They replaced both heads and all valve springs, they found the cylinder heads were performing poorly causing hesitation when accelerating from a stop position.

They replaced the computer climate controller due to a short circuit. They also replaced the back seat climate controller, also short circuited.

They replaced both outside mirror assemblies due to excessive free-play and vibration.

The console box assembly was replaced due to it being deformed.

They replaced all 8 of the suspension arm assy’s because of excessive clearance and wear.

Replaced Radio, tuner was short circuited.

I took the car for a test drive to see how it reacted to the repairs already completed. One of the climate controls on the seat for the lumbar was making a noise and needed to be replaced. The service advisor said they would replace it when the Brake actuator came in, so I would not have to make two trips.

After leaving the dealer with my car I turned on the A/C. I had not even gotten two blocks and discovered the air was not working, and the Nav. screen was not responding. I returned to the dealer and they called over the mechanic, they decided the car should be left at the dealer to be checked out again. They gave me a 2011 LS460 as a loan car.

I will be calling Lexus customer service to complain about the poor quality of my car. I am extremely disappointed!!

Marty
Old 03-13-11, 09:10 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That is rough, hard to believe an LS with less than 25k miles could have this many issues. On the bright side, with all the stuff they replaced you practically have a new car....

You should push Lexus Corporate to give you a deal on a replacement. Definitely sounds like a lemon.

Short of that, I would at least try taking it to a different dealer for repairs. It sounds like the quality of the work at this dealership is seriously lacking.
Old 03-14-11, 12:32 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

I feel your pain. Below is my post from late January just after my heads were replaced. The car has been fine since then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had the same problem fixed by Reno Lexus this week. In my case, it was bad news - - both cylinder heads needed to be replaced. I bought my 07 LS new in August 2007. Looking back on it, the car always had a very slight hesitation under heavy acceleration. I thought this was normal. In December 2010, I took it in for the valve spring replacement. After the recall work, my car was losing power all the time. Sometimes it happened in heavy traffic and created a dangerous situation. Needless to say, I was not happy. I took it back to the shop and after inspection, they said the car needed new heads. The TSIB mentioned in this thread was not enough to fix the problem (although they performed the TSIB software update while they were at it). I just picked the car up yesterday and so far, so good. In fact, it runs better than ever - - power delivery is much more smooth.

My problem took a while to manifest itself. I don't put many miles on the car (12,500 after 3.5 yrs) but I must say that I am less than thrilled with my first Lexus experience. Since purchase, I've had the following problems:

1. Dashboard rattle - TSIB for this and dealer did an excellent job fixing the problem.
2. Wind Noise - I performed the jmcraney fix myself and also covered the drain holes on the side view mirrors. This did not eliminate the noise, but greatly reduced it to acceptable levels.
3. Recall to replace fuel delivery rails
4. Interior noise right by my left ear whenever I hit a crack in the pavement or a sharp bump like a manhole cover - service department verified noise but were unwilling to fix it. They said the noise was normal and was part of the side curtain airbag system. A bunch of BS in my opinion but I got over it. I don't hear it when the stereo is playing.
5. Recall to replace valve springs. While performing repair, they also had to replace the serpentine belt that was cracking (after 12k miles - - ridiculous)
6. Cylinder head replacement - discussed above, but while performing this repair they had to replace the water pump that was leaking (really? -- a water pump leak after 12k miles!!)

Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for ever letting my car leave the factory. It's the closest thing to a lemon I've ever owned. In the past, I've traded in other cars for far fewer issues (regardless of whether under warranty or not). The thing is, I love this car. I've got my fingers crossed that it is finally fixed and at least I got the extended warranty with the VSR. Sorry for the length of this post - - I needed to vent.
Old 03-14-11, 01:22 PM
june
Rookie

bsims 01,

Thanks for your info. So sad to hear you've had to go through this. I bought my 07 LS new in April 2007. I just called Lexus to register a complaint about the quality of this car. They said they would review the situation and get back to me within the week. This car has had the most problems of any new car I have bought. I too love the LS460, I just wish I did not get a lemon!

Marty

Last edited by june; 03-14-11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 02:05 PM
Doubleg
Driver

June....What was the problem with the center arm rest? Also, did you buy you car used and this is something you are inheriting? I just had the b-pillar done not because they needed them because I think the old ones are nicer and hold the line but just as an upgrade. Also had the seats done and the wind noise corrected with new windows. Very happy with work performed. You might need to start looking for another dealer to work on your car.seems the tech don't know their a............from a hole in the ground.
Old 03-14-11, 02:40 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by june

The Brake actuator is on back order.

Marty
Going to be back ordered for awhile now since Japan just got crippled by the earthquake. I'm still waiting since Feb.

Originally Posted by june

Center padded console armrest, needed more padding. (being replaced).
Do you have the TSIB in PDF for this? What's the TSB #? Thanks.

Last edited by randomwalk; 03-14-11 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 03:08 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doubleg
June....What was the problem with the center arm rest? Also, did you buy you car used and this is something you are inheriting? I just had the b-pillar done not because they needed them because I think the old ones are nicer and hold the line but just as an upgrade. Also had the seats done and the wind noise corrected with new windows. Very happy with work performed. You might need to start looking for another dealer to work on your car.seems the tech don't know their a............from a hole in the ground.
Doubleg....did replacing the windows make a big difference with the wind noise? Did they replace all 4 or just the front?
Old 03-14-11, 04:49 PM
june
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doubleg

Center padded console armrest, needed more padding, so they replaced it with a new one. We bought LS460 new in April 2007.

Marty, June's husband
Old 03-14-11, 04:54 PM
june
Rookie

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Going to be back ordered for awhile now since Japan just got crippled by the earthquake. I'm still waiting since Feb.

Do you have the TSIB in PDF for this? What's the TSB #? Thanks.

I do not have the TSIB or number.

Marty
Old 03-14-11, 06:58 PM
Doubleg
Driver

Originally Posted by marky2mark
Doubleg....did replacing the windows make a big difference with the wind noise? Did they replace all 4 or just the front?
They replaced both driver/pass windows and a few other things..................no wind noise at all
Old 03-15-11, 04:56 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Center Arm Rest:
After driving with your right elbow on the console cover arm rest for several months, you may notice that the padding below your elbow is depressed compared to the passenger side of the arm rest.
I had my arm rest replaced under warranty (there is no TSiB for this). The depression returned within a month. To some this is a design flaw. No permanent fix that I know of.
Old 05-31-11, 01:53 PM
june
Rookie

I need some advise,

I just received a buy back offer from Lexus. The repurchase price for my 2007, LS 460 was $70,026.58 minus the mileage. I used, 23,165 miles. They calculated the Price I paid for the car, times the mileage I put on it, divided by 120,000 miles.

$64,000 x 23,165 miles / 120,000 miles = -$12,354.67 for a net buy back of $57,671.91.

Does any one have a feel if this is a fair offer? Is 120,000 miles what Lexus considers the life of the car? Is that how they arrive at that number?

I plan to call Lexus and ask them about the 120,000 miles in calculating the car. But I thought I would ask the Club Lexus people before I call, so that I can have some info.

Has anyone gone through a repurchase of their Lexus? Any help would be appreciated.

The last process in this repurchase procedure. Lexus has a third party service group that will do a complete vehicle inspection to see if the car meets the vehicle condition guidelines.

Marty

Quick Reply: VSR recall, and several TBIS’s