LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake pedal clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 08:14 AM
jc3103
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal clicking noise

I have a 2008 LS460. I have a clicking noise coming from the brake pedal area. It happens in the morning when the brakes are cold. I had the same problem when the car was new, and Lexus put in a new acuator. It was ok for about 6 months, and started clicking again. Mabye 3 or 4 soft clicks when I push lightly on the brake pedal. Every time I take it in to Lexus, they say it has the new acutator, and the noise is so soft that they act like they can't hear it. The car is so quiet otherwise, that to me the clicking is very annoying. I have called Lexus corporate, to no avail. Sounds to me that they have a problem they don't want to admit. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-11, 08:22 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2007 and hear similar sounds from time to time. I dont have any breaking issues, and often hear the master cylinder area adjusting itself, I caulk it up to the technology in there making the appropriate corrections.

when they replaced the actuator the first time, other than sound did you notice any differences in braking?
Old 03-06-11, 01:05 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Braking has always been good. No problems. But the clicking noise is constant, and when I push lightly on the pedal, every time I stop.
Old 03-06-11, 01:23 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like an actuator problem. It's currently on back order. My dealer ordered one and I'm still waiting.
Old 03-06-11, 02:34 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mine does not consistently make a noise, usually just when its settling in after start up or sometimes when I shut it off, definitely worth having the dealer check out.
Old 03-06-11, 02:53 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
sounds like an actuator problem. It's currently on back order. My dealer ordered one and I'm still waiting.
That exactly what it is, there is a TSIB out about it. The noise won't effect performance the actuators are just noisy, some ppl can hear it some don't until you point it out. If you are out of warranty it is VERY expensive to get them replaced, those who fall into that area just live with it.
Old 03-09-11, 07:21 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This may not apply. . .

Had a similar problem, replaced actuator (under warranty) and then brakes would make noise occasionally, braking effort would differ, feel would differ, etc. The techs didn't mention which TSIB, but they claimed to work off one that had special brake bleed instructions to remove the issue.

So, they bled my brakes, replaced fluid, problem is gone. Brakes have consistent pedal pressure, no more clicks or flutters of brake pedal.

Definitely a cheaper way to go than $2000 brake actuator. That was still under my (now extended) warranty. . .don't know the cost to go out on your own.
Old 03-09-11, 08:21 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketSlug
Had a similar problem, replaced actuator (under warranty) and then brakes would make noise occasionally, braking effort would differ, feel would differ, etc. The techs didn't mention which TSIB, but they claimed to work off one that had special brake bleed instructions to remove the issue.

So, they bled my brakes, replaced fluid, problem is gone. Brakes have consistent pedal pressure, no more clicks or flutters of brake pedal.

Definitely a cheaper way to go than $2000 brake actuator. That was still under my (now extended) warranty. . .don't know the cost to go out on your own.
When you replace the actuator, you MUST bleed the brake to purge all air out properly. Looks like the previous tech did a crappy job at bleeding your brake. Note that not all tech are made equal..so are doctors and lawyers..
Old 03-09-11, 11:02 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

btw, brake actuator for our car is on backordered. Takes about 2-2.5 months to get one..if you're lucky
Old 10-30-12, 07:54 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

Hey everybody I have a CT200h and I have a similar problem:
For me this "TAC" noise occurs only when full stoping at a red light in slight descent.
I'm quite positive it comes from the break pads fully locking but it is not normal to have such a harsh sound in a car of this level.
Lexus should absolutely do something about it.
I'm wondering what "bleeding the brakes" means in english or french. Can someone explain it to me so I can talk to Luxembourg Lexus about this possible solution? Thank you in advance.