LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

corner light bulb swap

Old 02-24-11, 09:57 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LEDs run very cool compared to filament, but i would stay under 8 watts for this application, that space is pretty tight and i dont get the sense there is a lot of airflow, the one I put in put out about the same level of heat as a nightlight, i have used them in other vehicles for several years with no issues, i have tried other vendors but always come back to Dealexteme, i like their quality, but you have to get the right bulb for the application.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (07-04-18)
Old 02-24-11, 05:08 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

alright so my question now is which exact bulb to use?? the one that will be closest to the OEM projectors color (im not the greatest light expert srry )
Old 02-24-11, 06:25 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

they range in color temp on the DealExtreme site between 5000-6500K..oem headlights are 4300K. But, it seems like the optics of the nike light would blend in real nice either way and maybe even making the OEM headlights look nice when on..maybe the guys can throw up some more pics from more angles with headlights on and off...i think I'll go with the 38 led.only $6 a pair shipped..I'll probably get some other sets with diff sizes to fit other lights on both cars I have.
Old 02-24-11, 08:47 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm gonna do this too, but can someone post a link to the best bulbs to use and where to getbthem from.... Thanks
Old 02-24-11, 09:02 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

i dont think there is a best bulb , it would be relative, meaning you would have to see them all side by side to see what you thought was the best.

If your after color temp change that is a factor, if your after brightness that is another, but I found that 2-3 watts of a good quality LED at 5k is more than sufficient for my needs and tastes. DealExtreme is inexpensive enough that you could try 3-4 different ones to see which is creating the look your after.
Old 02-24-11, 09:12 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
i dont think there is a best bulb , it would be relative, meaning you would have to see them all side by side to see what you thought was the best.

If your after color temp change that is a factor, if your after brightness that is another, but I found that 2-3 watts of a good quality LED at 5k is more than sufficient for my needs and tastes. DealExtreme is inexpensive enough that you could try 3-4 different ones to see which is creating the look your after.
Thanks for the info...
Old 02-25-11, 03:26 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cmasten

Are you trying out that 38 LEDs one too? I am wondering what's the diff between that and the one you have.
Old 02-25-11, 06:52 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I did not, I had a few different LED bulbs of the T10 type and found the 7 element 2 watt to be the best for me. I had a single element 1watt which had the right color temp, but not enough output and a 11 element that was a 4 watt that was too yellow for the HIDs and was actually too bright for my taste, so the 7 element is what I left in there.

I could easily just order some and try those, but my guess would be that they would be too bright for my taste. Other than cool factor I dont really know why this part of the light is even there, I guess when you have your parking lights on you can see it because the actual yellow parking lights sit high and outside so they figured it was a nice touch? I would also think that yellow would be a good color for this bulb so it would match the other parking bulb.. that might be interesting..
Old 02-25-11, 07:41 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I did not, I had a few different LED bulbs of the T10 type and found the 7 element 2 watt to be the best for me. I had a single element 1watt which had the right color temp, but not enough output and a 11 element that was a 4 watt that was too yellow for the HIDs and was actually too bright for my taste, so the 7 element is what I left in there.

I could easily just order some and try those, but my guess would be that they would be too bright for my taste. Other than cool factor I dont really know why this part of the light is even there, I guess when you have your parking lights on you can see it because the actual yellow parking lights sit high and outside so they figured it was a nice touch? I would also think that yellow would be a good color for this bulb so it would match the other parking bulb.. that might be interesting..
I placed the order with DX for two pairs 38's (Nike & reverse) and a pair for the dome lights.

T10 1.9W 6500K 171-Lumen 38-SMD LED Car White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V)
Item# 51358 $6.54 USD 2 $13.08 USD

Car Festoon 2W T10 100-Lumen White 6-LED Vehicle Light Bulb - Stainless Steel (DC 12V)
Item# 13428 $5.86 USD 2 $11.72 USD
Registered Air Mail ##

Item# 0 $0.01 USD 1 $0.01 USD
Subtotal $24.81 USD
Total $24.81 USD
Payment $24.81 USD
You got me thinking now about using a yellow LED instead hmmmm, it would match the corner and be much brighter than stock. I only could find 9 LED bulbs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t10-2w-...r-dc-12v-51107

I might just order them anyway & try both colors and see which one looks best, cam't hurt since their so cheap.
Old 02-25-11, 07:47 AM
CJITTY

i was wondering about the yella's too..but not sure if 9 would be enough for yellow. Oh well, F it..just ordered a pair of those as well for $4.50 to try it out. Since my daytime running lights are disabled, these 38 white LEDs in the Nike light are gonna look so nice during early morning/evening when it is officially PLT.."Park Light Time" Just ordered two pairs of 38 LEDs, two pairs of 5 LEDs and two pairs of 9 LEDs, since shipping is free, i can always get more after trying different sizes out

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-25-11 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 08:03 AM
CJITTY

Just some more inspiring pics from MelyMel96's post way back when, he used higher quality (much more expensive) PIAAs from Japan, but these are the pics that inspired most of these Nike light discussions! Amazing!

Old 02-27-11, 09:00 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

top shot is the new LED, the bottom is the older filament bulb, the bulbs I used were 4.50 a pair at http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t10-2w-...r-dc-12v-51372
Cmasten

I went ahead and ordered the same 2w LEDs as you. The company seems like in HK? How long did it take for you to receive yours?
Old 02-27-11, 09:15 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

im on the west coast and it takes about 5 days if you add the .01 to the air freight, it takes the labels off and allows the product to get through customs faster. I took that off once and it added about 4 days. It defaults to this so unless you changed it you should be about the same.

Today I ordered a pair of just about every T10 they had. I noticed that the 9 element bulb is actually the brightest, even over the 38 element. Its about 185 lumens. I am going to try the yellow just to see how those look.

DealExtreme has just about everything in the electronic toy dept, I found the 85 watt power supplies for my Apple MacBook Pros for about 1/3 what Apple charges and they are identical to the original model. I have also tried about 10 other online dealers for LEDs for my cars and always come back to them, I find their quality to be very good and no one touches their prices. Also for any issues I have had in the past, I just email their customer service and they always just give me a credit.

Last edited by cmasten; 02-27-11 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 09:47 AM
DuC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^so these should fit in the corner light with no fitment mod? im confused with all these bulbs sizes
Old 02-28-11, 10:33 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DuC
^so these should fit in the corner light with no fitment mod? im confused with all these bulbs sizes
Yes and the bulbs are the same size type some people want more LEDs on them wanted higher lumen output, and the more LED count the longer the bulb will be.

I did end up placing the an order for a pair of yellow ones to see which of the two I prefer, my thinking is why not since everything will be taken apart. Now the part I hate......waiting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: corner light bulb swap