LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson amplify replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 05:48 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dominant
Id like to take the 10" subwoofer out the rear dash and replace it with a 10" jl w7 subwoofer. Is that at all possible? Id also like to do so without loc hook up.
My first answer would be doubtful. What ever sub you chose, will have to have similar characteristics. Most speaking to OHM's. Factory OEM amplifies use a strange setup that usually doesn't work well with Aftermarket speakers. Basic electrical theory applies. 12v power supply, your car, total OHM's of speaker = Power out put or watts. I don't know what ohm the sub is, but there ware only a few options that pair well with Factory amp. Do a search on this forum to find what ohm is the factory sub, and find a speaker that is the same OHM's. Now after you got that figured out, size comes into play, many aftermarket subwoofers are often larger and will not fit in the same location without modification. Again, search the forum because guys have found a speaker that works with minimal modification.

But the speaker you are referencing will most likely not be a direct fit. OHM's , power rating, and size are what you need to be considering. Being fixed on a specific speaker will lead you down a path of many closed doors.

Sorry to sound so negative.
Old 01-03-16, 08:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
My first answer would be doubtful. What ever sub you chose, will have to have similar characteristics. Most speaking to OHM's. Factory OEM amplifies use a strange setup that usually doesn't work well with Aftermarket speakers. Basic electrical theory applies. 12v power supply, your car, total OHM's of speaker = Power out put or watts. I don't know what ohm the sub is, but there ware only a few options that pair well with Factory amp. Do a search on this forum to find what ohm is the factory sub, and find a speaker that is the same OHM's. Now after you got that figured out, size comes into play, many aftermarket subwoofers are often larger and will not fit in the same location without modification. Again, search the forum because guys have found a speaker that works with minimal modification.

But the speaker you are referencing will most likely not be a direct fit. OHM's , power rating, and size are what you need to be considering. Being fixed on a specific speaker will lead you down a path of many closed doors.

Sorry to sound so negative.
THIS!! This is a system that should NOT be messed with. But I know that this often falls on deaf ears.
Old 01-04-16, 09:09 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any piecemeal change you make to this system is going to make things worse. You have two choices: leave it as is or tear the entire thing out and start fresh. And if you tear the entire thing out and start fresh it is going to be expensive with a capital E and require a lot of time and effort to even match the sound quality of the OEM system, let alone exceed it.

Unless all you want to do is listen to "bass tracks," shake all the parts of your car loose, and p!$$ off your neighbors. Then feel free to just rip it out, fill your trunk with amps and subs, and watch your resale value shrivel up in fear.
Old 01-04-16, 10:44 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The best replacement for a ML amp is another ML amp. The ML sound system was designed that way like many other systems. Otherwise time wasted, headaches, problems and a system that don't sound half a good and you've spend lots of $$$$$$.
Old 01-04-16, 11:46 AM
v8mac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am surprised that the system doesnt meet your needs. Its an amazing system. The fidelity and the power is awesome.
Originally Posted by cmasten
Until you have heard a stellar aftermarket system ;-)
Agree with both of the above.
I am still new to the ML system in my LS, so I haven't fully evaluated it yet.
So far I think the top end is excellent, but the bass and especially sub-bass are weak.

There has obviously been significant multi-driver/location tone/time processing.
If this is done in the amp (idk yet), you wouldn't want to chuck the amp, else you'd have to replicate that processing with aftermarket electronics - time consuming and expensive.

The sub can stand to be replaced by two small (8" or 10") ported subs (good) or a competent sealed 12" (better). Phase alignment to the mid-bass would be essential and sub-bass eq recommended.

I would look into this for myself later on - for now I don't want to do anything to mess with the CPO warranty.