LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking about adding tint to my '08 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 12:28 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed in the 2011 Nav manual Lexus warns that window tinting may interfere with GP
S signals and is not recommended. I would guess they are thinking of tinting that uses metal. I can't think of any reason non-metalic tints would interfere with GPS signals.
Old 01-19-11, 01:06 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks GS5400Jon. I will look into Pinnacle series from LLumar. I do not think the tint shops around here do that. Closest is in Oakland.
Old 01-19-11, 01:09 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by gs400jon
The same place also installed the 3M clear bra, a bit more expensive. California Auto Tinting and Polishing, in Campbell.
I will give them a ring today and check them out. Thanks again.

On a side note, I am not a proponent of anyone, other than dealer, taking my door panels off. So will opt for the "work harder" route for the installer. Lol.
Old 01-19-11, 01:24 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nolimitguj
$250 is double what it should cost for the whole car to be done plus a strip on the windshield. Should be more like $135-ish for the whole car. The windows are not that big and dont have extra unnecessary cuts. Depending on your zip code, you shouldnt spend more than $175 on tinting your entire vehicle.
I paid $135, they used 3M, looks good, but there is a place immediately behind the "A" pillar, down in the forward corner that he really struggled with.
He wanted to take the door apart too, but I said no. He finally got it, I gave him a $20 tip.

Whit
Old 01-19-11, 02:38 PM
Grisik
Rookie

I paid $125, they used 3M film. Also struggled with the front doors, but she got them done without taking them apart.
Old 01-19-11, 03:07 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

$250 is double what it should cost for the whole car to be done plus a strip on the windshield. Should be more like $135-ish for the whole car. The windows are not that big and dont have extra unnecessary cuts. Depending on your zip code, you shouldnt spend more than $175 on tinting your entire vehicle.
I have not found anyone thus far to do it for less than $235 (which was a mid-week special using the cheapstuff (Suntek HP).

I did call California Auto Glass Tinting in Campbel per rec from Jon and they said they would do all 5 (35%back 50% front) for $350. They also said that they do work for Lexus dealerships around the area. They only use tint film called Global? Anyone have experience with this film? Oh and they also said that they would take door panels off to do the tint.

Called Mr. Tint, who is charging me same ($350) to do all 5 with Llumar CTS or Solar Gard (unknown to me) Ultra performance: http://solargard.com/Auto/Ultra

I am so confused right now. But appreciate all your inputs.
Old 01-19-11, 03:12 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
I noticed in the 2011 Nav manual Lexus warns that window tinting may interfere with GP
S signals and is not recommended. I would guess they are thinking of tinting that uses metal. I can't think of any reason non-metalic tints would interfere with GPS signals.
Hi Mike,

good tip. I asked this to all the tint guys I called and they agreed to use non-metallic or Ceramic tint films.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-11, 03:13 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Grisik
I paid $125, they used 3M film. Also struggled with the front doors, but she got them done without taking them apart.
Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I paid $135, they used 3M, looks good, but there is a place immediately behind the "A" pillar, down in the forward corner that he really struggled with.
He wanted to take the door apart too, but I said no. He finally got it, I gave him a $20 tip.

Whit
Grisik and Whit,

Where did you guys get yours done? And how does it fare afterwards? Still look god?
Old 01-19-11, 04:20 PM
nolimitguj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cheez80
well, that's pretty bad advice -- you're going to pay more than 135-175 to get good quality tint. something like huper optik is going to run you in the 4-500+ range, and possibly more if you have options like the motorized sun shades in the doors (because the doors are a ***** to take apart, apparently). i feel this class of car deserves better window tint than the cheapest you can find :P

Taking doors apart? $500 for a tint job? Are you guys actually savvy shoppers or do you do any research? If your tint guys are asking to take your doors apart, they are not real good tint guys. Well, 3M has worked well for all my cars over the passed 14 years and I've never paid more than $175 max for any one of my vehicles, including my Suburban. I paid $200 for our E-350 airport shuttles, but thats understandable since its got literally a TON of windows. How is that bad advice?
Old 01-19-11, 04:59 PM
DwijLS460
Driver School Candidate

Taking doors apart? $500 for a tint job? Are you guys actually savvy shoppers or do you do any research? If your tint guys are asking to take your doors apart, they are not real good tint guys. Well, 3M has worked well for all my cars over the passed 14 years and I've never paid more than $175 max for any one of my vehicles, including my Suburban. I paid $200 for our E-350 airport shuttles, but thats understandable since its got literally a TON of windows. How is that bad advice?
Hi Nolimitguj,

thats good info. I have a few questions:

1.) How long ago did you get the tint done?
2.) Was there any discoloration/degredation over time that you noticed?
3) Was the tint metallic, ceramic, non-metallic? You wouldn't know the brand of the film would you?
4.) What kind of warranty came with it?
5.) Was it an actual shop or did someone come by and do it?
6.) If an actual shop, where is it located?

Seems #6 may be relevant because one of the downsides of having 70 degree weather in mid-Jan in NorCal is that they make you pay for it. The prices here for most everything tend to be exorbitant when compared to the rest of the country. I have yet to find a sub $200 tint quote.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 01-19-11, 07:27 PM
nolimitguj
Driver School Candidate

All of the films were either 3M or Llumar. I have never had any discoloration on any of my cars, although I never really kept a car longer than a couple years. The only car I have had the longest is my 2005 Titan which I still have, with its Original 3M 5% tint installed in Nov. 2004. Still no discoloration as of date. I know because I compare it side by side with my new daily drive the LS 460 which has the same 5% 3M (not sure if its metallic or not, but I havent had any issues with my gps, bluetooth or xm, so might not be) and they are exactly the same. I had the tint on the LS460 put on last September, still looks great. All the cars were all done by the same tint shop and the same guy. The shop is here in Clearwater, FL. And he warranties all of his work for the lifetime of the vehicle.

The only degradation is from me or my passengers which accidentally put nicks in the film with their rings, or seat belt or something metallic or cig ash.
Old 01-19-11, 08:46 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep, takes about 60 sec to drop the door panel off (3 screws and some clips) and your able to get a much better line down into the door. The seals on the LS are tight, and pulling the door panel allows you a much better fit to the glass. In the front it allows the front corners to be done to perfection. They go back on without any issues, I pulled mine off when I upgraded the sound system.

I would spend the 250 again on the next Lex... .the job I got was absolutely perfect and you cant tell they are not factory. Pinnacle is LLumars top end film, so were talking apples and apples here, I could have had the classic film from LLumar for about 175.00, the Pinnacle is clearly a superior film, since my LS is black on black and Im in So Cal, I was after the better Infrared filtering which Pinnacle has.

My shop also offers a lifetime guarantee.. if I nick it, they will still pull the sheet and put a new one on.

Last edited by cmasten; 01-20-11 at 06:42 AM. Reason: changed uv to Infrared
Old 01-20-11, 06:36 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I got a quote of 135 in Miami from the same place that did my wheels. Thats for 3M 35% since its what I know the LEOs wont bother me about here. They know about the interferance with the radio and GPS and such. They did say it would take about 2 hours but since I cant even sit still for 30 min, I will not be waiting so I dont know if they'll take the doors apart or not. I'll ask next time I go.
Old 01-20-11, 10:44 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha, please look up the going price for a tint using huper optik film -- this is one of the best films you can buy with regards to heat and uv rejection, especially in lighter shades.

also, like cmasten mentioned, it's not that difficult to pop off door panels and the end result is nicer.
Old 01-21-11, 09:40 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DwijLS460
Grisik and Whit,

Where did you guys get yours done? And how does it fare afterwards? Still look god?
This is the third car I've had done by a local individual in Denver, I doubt if he would do you much good in CA. His prices have been going up along with everything else but last was $135 and a very good job, took about an hour.

He does the rear glass, with its compound curves, in one piece. He makes a template using the film on the outside. Contours it with a hot air gun, trims it, then crawls inside, separates the laminate sheet and wets/squeegees it to the inside. (He separates a corner of the laminate/film with his teeth in an instant. Drives me crazy... takes me forever to do that using various means ;-)

He does this out of his personal garage, I think he's moonlighting from a regular tint shop.

Check CL for local tinters, they're all over the place around here and about half price of the tint/bra shops.

I didn't want him to take the door panels off because oftentimes they break a few of those plastic retainer plugs. I'm guessing Lexus uses something of their own and hard to find and he wouldn't have had replacements.

Whit

Last edited by WhitBaby; 01-21-11 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding tint to my '08 LS460