LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 07:32 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Question

I am very close to purchasing Vossen CV1's (20" staggered) and have a TPMS link question. What is the process to link the new TPMS sensors to the car? I plan on switching the tires for the seasons, so I'll have two full wheel/TPMS sets.
Old 01-14-11, 07:43 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The sensor IDs will have to be loaded into the car's computer whenever they are changed. The LS460s are able to store only 5 sensor IDs. You can get the IDs loaded at Lexus dealers and tire retailers. It will probably cost less to get it done at a tire retailer.

The technician may benchmark the tires when he loads the IDs however there is no easy way to tell if that has been done so you should do that yourself if you want the TPMS to work correctly as far as warnings.

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-14-11 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 09:45 AM
ls460love
Driver

Thanks! So one cannot perform this step DIY?
Old 01-14-11, 09:57 AM
jmcraney

You could do this DIY but it takes some pretty expensive electronic tools.

A major TPMS tool manufacturer is BarTech: http://www.bartecusa.com/tpms_tools.htm

There are other TPMS tool makers with less expensive products. We will probably see the cost of this stuff going down since these system are on many new cars.

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-14-11 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 12:43 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Does this make sense? If I use two sets of tires and rims (6 months on summer and 6 on winter) could I remove and transfer the TPMS between tires when they are swaped out? Presumably this would avoid the need to register the sensors every 6 months; i.e. only one set of sensors.
Old 01-14-11, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
Does this make sense? If I use two sets of tires and rims (6 months on summer and 6 on winter) could I remove and transfer the TPMS between tires when they are swaped out? Presumably this would avoid the need to register the sensors every 6 months; i.e. only one set of sensors.
that's what i did when i got my 22s, took out the tpms from stock wheels and put them in the 22s
Old 01-14-11, 01:06 PM
twotone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
I am very close to purchasing Vossen CV1's (20" staggered) and have a TPMS link question. What is the process to link the new TPMS sensors to the car? I plan on switching the tires for the seasons, so I'll have two full wheel/TPMS sets.
Not to go off tangent but I am doing the same thing too. Did you purchase additional TPMS from the dealer or aftermarket? I will also follow this thread on the linking process as well. From what I have read from CL we need to go the dealer to relink it each time you change tire and wheel set. Sucks.
Old 01-14-11, 01:10 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Just to pursue this a bit, if the TPMS are removed from say my summer tires and placed in my winter tires would the summers then be stored without any pressure (i.e. the valve stem would be open without the TPMS). Is this OK? This would save me the cost of a second set of TPMS as well as the cost of registering the TPMS sets twice a year.
Old 01-14-11, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Just to pursue this a bit, if the TPMS are removed from say my summer tires and placed in my winter tires would the summers then be stored without any pressure (i.e. the valve stem would be open without the TPMS). Is this OK? This would save me the cost of a second set of TPMS as well as the cost of registering the TPMS sets twice a year.
of course it's ok. tires are stocked at warehouses with zero pressure too

but if you ask me, when taking out the tpms to the winter wheels, might as well put those rubber normal valve stems in the summer wheels as well. doesn't hurt and they are dirt cheap. that's what i put in my stock wheels when i was rolling on the 22s
Old 01-14-11, 01:18 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by twotone
Not to go off tangent but I am doing the same thing too. Did you purchase additional TPMS from the dealer or aftermarket? I will also follow this thread on the linking process as well. From what I have read from CL we need to go the dealer to relink it each time you change tire and wheel set. Sucks.
I keep pointing out that tire retailers should be able to enter sensor IDs with the expectation that some of our posters will share some experience with us. So far I have not seen anyone say that they have gotten TPMS sensor IDs entered anywhere other than the dealership.

How about it? Anyone get TPMS sensor IDs entered at some place like Costco or Sam's Club, Discount Tire, etc? How much did it cost?
Old 01-14-11, 01:18 PM
nfxnet
Driver School Candidate

I dont know much, but here is my two cents...If you are going to keep two sets of wheels, then you should definitely have two sets of TPMS. You can go on ebay and buy a set of OEM TPMS Manufacture Part# PMV-107J for $52.00 with free shipping. The LS460 is only capable of having 5 wheels registered. However, each time you swap wheels, you can go to Discount Tire and have them do it for free. They have a wand that captures the registration numbers and it takes them less than 5minutes, no charge. If you plan on keeping only one set of TPMS, then you will need to pay Discount tire or someone to switch them over to the other set, each time you swap wheels, which can get costly. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-11, 01:26 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

I was going under the assumption that only the Lexus dealers could register TPMS. If others would at no additional cost when swapping out the tires then there would be only the one time cost of a set of TPMS - I think it would then be worth getting two TPMS sets.
Old 01-14-11, 01:30 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by nfxnet
However, each time you swap wheels, you can go to Discount Tire and have them do it for free. They have a wand that captures the registration numbers and it takes them less than 5minutes, no charge. If you plan on keeping only one set of TPMS, then you will need to pay Discount tire or someone to switch them over to the other set, each time you swap wheels, which can get costly. Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I know that this will help a lot of folks save some money and the inconvenience of going to the dealership.
Old 01-14-11, 01:40 PM
nfxnet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I know that this will help a lot of folks save some money and the inconvenience of going to the dealership.
and also...You can go on ebay and buy a set of OEM TPMS Sensors Manufacture Part# PMV-107J for $52.00 with free shipping. Dont forget the TPMS service kits, ive seen them for $12 with free ship on ebay. Basically this service kit is the aluminum sleeve that holds the TPMS sensor in its place. Discount Tire charges something like $20 a wheel for this service kit. FYI, I got my TPMS sensors registered at Discount Tire off Hwy 114 in Southlake, TX.

Last edited by nfxnet; 01-14-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 02:08 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Toronto to Southlake - mmmm. A bit of a drive for me. I must look around in the Toronto area for prices. I'm sure there will be much better options than the Lexus dealership.

Quick Reply: TPMS Question