LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To Bra or not to Bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 01:36 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default To Bra or not to Bra

OK, went to Newport Lexus today for a wash and finally saw a car with the clear bra installed. Looked a damn sight better than I thought it would. About the only thing you could see was what looked like a scratch across the hood at certain angles. Otherwise it was clean and you couldn't even tell. This was on smokey granite and I've got starfire pearl. I'm afraid the line will be more visible on the white, or am I wrong?

If I drove under normal conditions, I wouldn't even consider it. I keep coming back to that whole plastic covers on the sofa stereotype. But 135 mi/day on the So. Cal. freeways are making me think otherwise. Already had 3 minor chips, which I was able to touch-up pretty effectively, fortunately. The car still looks showroom new at a glance.

So what do you guys think? Bra or not?
Old 01-13-11, 01:50 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with you, normal conditions never but you do drive a lot. i think the line would be less visible on the white, but lets hear what others say.
Old 01-13-11, 01:56 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lines are a lot more attractive than chips.
Old 01-13-11, 02:20 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm faced with the same dilemma. Picked up my new car last night and saw a Starfire Pearl RX with the full clear bra on the showroom floor. The line across the hood was quite noticeable. I signed up to just get the clear plastic for the bumper but it'll get installed at a later date. I don't put on much mileage in a year but you can get a stone chip from just one short trip on the Capitol Beltway.

The way that plastic lies on the hood, dirt is bound to accumulate along the edge. Imagine how it'd look in the spring with pollen and rain.

I like the idea of UV protection for the headlight lenses, though.

What I did do yesterday was get the Touch of Class interior and exterior protection package which puts a Teflon coating on everything that's supposed to last 7 years. Also added the hydrophobic coating to the windshield.

I sure wouldn't want to have stone chips on the hood but I'm not sure I want to put a third of it under a sheet of plastic. I'm open to opinions, though.
Old 01-13-11, 02:49 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm expecting delivery of my new 2011 LS460 AWD SWB in about 3 weeks, can't wait. Interestingly, in Canada it appears that the car comes with a full clear bra as standard. I was told it was made by 3M. I am getting the smokey granite also and looked at one in the lot with a bit of dust on it. It does show but not that bad. As was said above - looks a lot better than stone chips. I am glad to have it even thhough my driving isn't particularily punishing.
Old 01-13-11, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i have clear bra on cars i own / keep, for sure. but i hate the line, so i do FULL hood
Old 01-13-11, 03:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
I'm expecting delivery of my new 2011 LS460 AWD SWB in about 3 weeks, can't wait. Interestingly, in Canada it appears that the car comes with a full clear bra as standard. I was told it was made by 3M. I am getting the smokey granite also and looked at one in the lot with a bit of dust on it. It does show but not that bad. As was said above - looks a lot better than stone chips. I am glad to have it even thhough my driving isn't particularily punishing.
yes, i remember reading in the past that canadian ls460 comes with clear bra already
Old 01-13-11, 04:24 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have clear bra on cars i own / keep, for sure. but i hate the line, so i do FULL hood
Interesting idea. That might be the way to go. Is that a specialty? How much additional are we talking? 2x, 3x?
Old 01-13-11, 06:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I would not own a car with no clear bra. I had a g35 back in the day that I only had the bumper done and after 5 years with that car the hood looked like a starry night. Even the roof of the car in front of the sunroof had chips. I used to do insane highway mileage with that car and learned the hardway. My GS had the full kit and my LS has the full kit as well. I am even having the door cups done on Monday and I am having the mirrors and door edges redone ( the mirrors are starting to look a little yellow ). I am very satisfied with the product and I am a total detail freak. The faint line is only noticeable if you are looking for it. My LS is white so it makes it even harder to see the line. Get the bra would be my vote
Old 01-13-11, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dsc07
Interesting idea. That might be the way to go. Is that a specialty? How much additional are we talking? 2x, 3x?
umm, probably 60% more? the larger the piece, the higher the cost (coz' the whole big sheet can't have any imperfection
Old 01-14-11, 04:57 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of 44k miles I've driven, about 1k highways and yet the bra saved my paint from chips and even scratches when I miscalculated the spaced between the car and garage door columns.

I highly recommend it. You should also consider covering the whole hood. Never thought about it and don't know how it looks like but you should consider it. I've got a deep rock chip right in the center of my hood that could have been avoided had I had full hood bra installed.
Old 01-14-11, 05:16 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have white and while you can see the line a bit many people say they hardly notice it. The bra did its job in two spots with some decent hits so I had it replaced on the front. Without it I shudder to think what those would have looked like.
Old 01-14-11, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JFNash
Out of 44k miles I've driven, about 1k highways and yet the bra saved my paint from chips and even scratches when I miscalculated the spaced between the car and garage door columns.

I highly recommend it. You should also consider covering the whole hood. Never thought about it and don't know how it looks like but you should consider it. I've got a deep rock chip right in the center of my hood that could have been avoided had I had full hood bra installed.
can look for pics of my ls460l or gs350, no one noticed about the clear bra at all

lexus paint is very soft (nowadays), very easy to get chipped
Old 01-14-11, 09:29 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def get the bra. My friend just drove his m3 to mexico and there was a truck in front of him that totally owned his foglights and flung rocks @ him (fogs not protected) but he has a clear bra on a carbon black car it really isnt that noticeable and his hood was totally fine. You never know what could happen!
Old 01-14-11, 09:41 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

get the bra. /thread

Quick Reply: To Bra or not to Bra