LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A few Technical questions from a new LS460 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 12:13 PM
elk5432
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Technical questions from a new LS460 owner

Hey guys, I've been reading through this forum for a while trying to answer my own questions and wanted to double check a few things before running off to the dealer. (I just got my 2007 LS460)

1) Is the only kind of system software update for the LS460 a NAV update or a CDDB/Gracenote update? From my understanding the Nav update just updates the maps and POI, and also gets rid of the "I Agree" message after 5 seconds. Are there no software updates to the bluetooth, menu system, bug fixes, and or other improvements that have come out over the past 4 years of the LS460? I just assumed there had to be firmware/software for the display (like an i-drive update for 7 series) , but no one seems to mention it.

2) The only way to enable using the touch screen while moving is to use one of the override devices mentioned on this board, right? Software updates don't change this?

3) To confirm: Additional key fobs (mine only came with one) can be purchased through the dealer or ebay, but you need to make sure it has the right FCC number.

Is this an example of what you guys mean:
Ebay link
What about the metal part of the key (valet key?). Aren't they all unique so a used key won't work? Has anyone had success/failure buying these keys and having a locksmith/dealer reprogram them?
update: I just talked to the dealer and he said that he charges $70 to program and won't cut the blank key (go elsewhere). He also warned me that if the remote fails to program they still charge the $70 (people have been bringing their remotes bought on ebay and the dealer has been sometimes been unsuccessful in getting them programmed).

4) Are you guys that are getting the TSBs done for Glove Box/B-pillars/Wind Noise/Seat Cushions being asked to demonstrate the issue? My glove box is a bit loose, not too bad, but I'm worried that when my comprehensive expires (i'm also buying lexus extended) they will not longer fix it. Same goes for my b-pillars. They aren't in bad shape but obviously I'd like the update design.

5) I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this, but does anyone else have loose rubber weather stripping on the top corner of their driver and passenger doors (on the actual door, not door opening)? Mine are loose for the last couple of inches but I can't tell if they really should be tucked in or not.

I'm really excited about this car, a big improvement over my 745 , but not much faster

Eugene

Last edited by elk5432; 11-10-10 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Just talked to dealer regarding key
Old 11-10-10, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) i am not aware of any other major changes except map and poi.

2) correct, no software for this, only hardware override

3) i am not a pro, but from what i read, yes, fcc number has to be careful, and you need dealer to program. and also if the fob is used, then the procedure is a bit more involved

4) i never had any tsib done

5) mine wasn't problematic, but i did see some others with the corner loose. i think they replaced it
Old 11-10-10, 01:17 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by elk5432
5) I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this, but does anyone else have loose rubber weather stripping on the top corner of their driver and passenger doors (on the actual door, not door opening)? Mine are loose for the last couple of inches but I can't tell if they really should be tucked in or not.
Send us a picture. This may be something that has been added in an attempt to help with the wind noise.
Old 11-11-10, 09:46 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elk5432
Hey guys, I've been reading through this forum for a while trying to answer my own questions and wanted to double check a few things before running off to the dealer. (I just got my 2007 LS460)

1) Is the only kind of system software update for the LS460 a NAV update or a CDDB/Gracenote update? From my understanding the Nav update just updates the maps and POI, and also gets rid of the "I Agree" message after 5 seconds. Are there no software updates to the bluetooth, menu system, bug fixes, and or other improvements that have come out over the past 4 years of the LS460? I just assumed there had to be firmware/software for the display (like an i-drive update for 7 series) , but no one seems to mention it.

2) The only way to enable using the touch screen while moving is to use one of the override devices mentioned on this board, right? Software updates don't change this?

3) To confirm: Additional key fobs (mine only came with one) can be purchased through the dealer or ebay, but you need to make sure it has the right FCC number.

Is this an example of what you guys mean:
Ebay link
What about the metal part of the key (valet key?). Aren't they all unique so a used key won't work? Has anyone had success/failure buying these keys and having a locksmith/dealer reprogram them?
update: I just talked to the dealer and he said that he charges $70 to program and won't cut the blank key (go elsewhere). He also warned me that if the remote fails to program they still charge the $70 (people have been bringing their remotes bought on ebay and the dealer has been sometimes been unsuccessful in getting them programmed).

4) Are you guys that are getting the TSBs done for Glove Box/B-pillars/Wind Noise/Seat Cushions being asked to demonstrate the issue? My glove box is a bit loose, not too bad, but I'm worried that when my comprehensive expires (i'm also buying lexus extended) they will not longer fix it. Same goes for my b-pillars. They aren't in bad shape but obviously I'd like the update design.

I'm really excited about this car, a big improvement over my 745 , but not much faster

Eugene
If you bought your car from a Lexus dealer, you should have gotten an extra key fob. I bought mine a Lexus of Escondido, they could not get the 2nd key fob working when I bought the car. They ordered me a new one, fed ex'd it to the dealer closest to my house and I took it to the dealer to get programmed, took about half an hour. If the dealer refuses to give you one, I would contact Lexus corporate.
Old 11-11-10, 10:39 AM
elk5432
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I bought it from a friend of mine that's a dealer, who got it straight from the auction.

Originally Posted by marky2mark
If you bought your car from a Lexus dealer, you should have gotten an extra key fob. I bought mine a Lexus of Escondido, they could not get the 2nd key fob working when I bought the car. They ordered me a new one, fed ex'd it to the dealer closest to my house and I took it to the dealer to get programmed, took about half an hour. If the dealer refuses to give you one, I would contact Lexus corporate.
Old 11-11-10, 10:50 AM
elk5432
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Send us a picture. This may be something that has been added in an attempt to help with the wind noise.
Looks like part of the regular weather stripping. I took it to the dealer today and they will hopefully fix it.