LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dirty Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 05:48 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow Nospin, Thanks for your input. I've struggled with the exhaust tips on my 09 G37 and the new LS.
I'll defenitly give this a shot.

Old 12-12-12, 12:14 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I didn't see this thread when it was first posted. I could have saved you guys a lot of grief. I no longer use any abrasive on any polished surface, although the exhaust tips are not that visible so its not a big deal. The product you need is Wham Bam. I know what you thinking, forget the name, use it and watch the results.

I have had several Harley motorcycles. If you ever look at the exhaust pipes on any motorcyle, right where the pipe starts at the head and at least for several inches down you will see heat discoloration (unless of course there's a chrome outer shell). About 12 years ago at Laconia (NH) Bike Week I saw a guy who had a vendor booth demo this product on a bike. He rubbed this product on the exhaust pipes and after repeated applications the heat discoloration came right off. I would have bet a year's pay you couldn't remove that discoloration. I had tried everything with absolutely no results. Even though I saw it with my own eyes I didn't believe it. I was thinking maybe it was a set up and the other guy with the bike was a shill.

I told the guy I didn't believe it and he invited me to bring my bike over. I did and he rubbed this Wham Bam product on one of my exhaust pipes. It took a while. He didn't have to rub hard, but he did have to rub repeatedly. Sure enough the heat discoloration was gone. I still didn't believe it and thought the discoloration would come right back. Well it didn't and I have been a loyal customer ever since. I've since used this on some badly discolored home heat registers with excellent results (and this was after a professional couldn't do anything with them and various other metal polishes didn't work).

I have bought this at bike shows (only a couple times because a bottle will last a long time if you are just doing occasional small jobs). However, here is their website - http://thepabamguy.com/. The product you want is the WhamBAM All Metal Polish.

I know this probably sounds like a sales pitch, but I have no financial interest in the company. It is simply the most extraordinary metal cleaner I have ever seen.
So sanding or steel wool required before? Just apply this? Also which cleaner did you buy there are several
Old 07-06-13, 01:35 PM
franktx1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I invented a little doo-hickey to prevent garage door gashes like you have on your LS. Go to Home Depot. Pick up a rubber sanding block like this.
3M Rubber Sanding Block - Amazon.com 3M Rubber Sanding Block - Amazon.com
Mount it to the garage door just below the offending part and Voila! no more garage door gashes!
Old 11-03-14, 07:07 AM
paulgo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading all the posts I tried to clean my exhaust tips. I had the best results with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish. It definitely took a little elbow grease but it didn't hurt the finish and they now look brand new. It's the little red container that you can get at any auto parts store. Works great on wheels as well.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-15-18)
Old 11-03-14, 06:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I think I will try that. My favorite product is Wham Bam, but a while back I tried to re-order from their website and it would not accept orders. I just tried again now and same thing. I guess they have gone out of business. I looked for their booth this past June at Laconia Bike Week and they weren't there.

It's a shame, they had the best metal cleaning product I have ever seen.
Old 11-03-14, 06:55 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you can ...just search your options
Old 11-04-14, 02:22 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

After reading this thread, I ran out and bought the Eagle One. It works. Once I applied it to both tips, I went over it with a rag and it looks pretty great. I didn't have loads of time to put in the elbow grease this afternoon. Just did a test and the results are good.

Old 11-05-14, 09:27 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

These look to be stainless steel. This is not chrome or like a painted wheel. There is no coating over the stainless.
You don’t need to use a weak cleaner/polish that is safe on all metals like high polished brass or chrome. Its stainless take advantage of that and save some work.

Use a good cleaner first to get off all the black. I used Lacquer thinner as the cleaner. With a green scrubby pad and rag until there was no black on the rag. Then easy quick coat with just about any metal polish. I used some MAAS brand I had on hand.

Next time I may even try some oven cleaner on a scrubby pad.

Use a cleaner to clean then polish for the shine. I spent about 5 minutes on each one. Simple easy thing I may start doing once a year. Did not even think about it until I saw this thread.
Old 11-05-14, 04:51 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try Coke Cola? Check out the video. I think its funny what the soda and sponge will do to a rusty bumper, real or not.
Old 11-23-14, 02:03 PM
Gumbeaux
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I used Mother's Mag and 0000 steel wool. Got all of the baked on carbon off with a little bit of elbow grease. Finished off with NevrDull. They look great.
Old 11-24-15, 07:23 AM
AMACK
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Did as Gumbeaux but ended with megiuires #26 wax.

The following users liked this post:
Boomin (01-26-21)
Old 11-24-15, 09:19 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AMACK
Did as Gumbeaux but ended with megiuires #26 wax.

Very, very nice!
You managed to get a great shine on those.
Great job!
Old 11-24-15, 09:56 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I have this

When I first got my 460, I noticed the chrome on the tail pipe looked black. I found this thread, ran out and bought this stuff and it works like a champ!
Old 11-24-15, 01:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow, that looks great AMACK. I've been judiciously using my Wham Bam since I can't get it any more. Now it looks like I have a good alternative.

I have question though. You say you finished it with Meguiars #26 wax. I'm not familiar with that product, but wouldn't a wax on such a hot piece of metal be a problem?
Old 11-24-15, 04:19 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Bar Keepers Friend www.barkeepersfriend.com. works great for me....... May be a little hard to find but worth the search so click on the link for before/after photos and the stores that sell it near you. My local Wally World had it a few years ago and a can will last for years.
I have used bar keepers friend for years on exhaust tips then I finish up with a good wax.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 11-25-15 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Dirty Exhaust Tips