LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 05:35 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
why would you stay away from the cheap ones? I've had zero issues in the past from them.
When it comes to HID's I like high quality ones that are proven not to have issues, I don't enjoy replacing bulbs and as you know it is a PITA on our car, but if you have had good experiences with them go for it! Just my 2 ¢ worth.
Old 07-09-11, 11:32 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Just wanted to give an update. I have been using the 3000K (yellow) 9006 HID bulbs (pigtails) in my fogs for almost a year now. The rebased D2R to 9006 Philips bulbs actually both failed in the LS housing. Not sure if the LS fog housing doesn't allow for cooling more than my Acura TL fog housing, but the 9006 rebased collar actually became separated on both bulbs. Luckily, the bulbs didn't fall out or anything. I only noticed it when I took them out to put the yellows in. When I turned the bulb, the bulb came out, but the collar stayed locked into the housing. So Lexus engineers in their wisdom have screws there that open that up easily so I could get the piece out. So, I would avoid rebased and just do the HID pigtail setups since they are molded one piece and not rebased.

I am going to order a set of the DDM 3000K bulbs that Tee has, my yellow bulbs have been drinking a ton of water and the pee yellow color on the road is more clear these days.

But bottom line, no issues with parking sensors, headlights, housings, electrical system..NOTHIN! These HID ballasts are pretty durable...back in 2005 when i first did this on my Acura, they were $225 for a kit ..now, $30 shipped on EBAY...just like microwaves and dvd players..just cheap as hell now

Hope everyone is enjoying their HID fog setups, I know I am.
Old 12-07-11, 10:13 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent thread CJITTY!!! You answered pretty much all my questions. Looking forward to doing this on my ride and getting rid of the lame factory fogs.
Old 08-25-12, 12:16 PM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

I just followed the original instructions on this post using this kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS600H...item4ab96c2dd5

and it took me 40 minutes - open to close. Instructions above we perfect - except the contol module is ultra slim (no bracket ) so i zip tied it to the same hole in the picture. In addition - this kit clipped right in - no wires to tape. Pictures later - looks great on my 600HL!
Old 08-25-12, 12:34 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by NM600HL
I just followed the original instructions on this post using this kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS600H...item4ab96c2dd5

and it took me 40 minutes - open to close. Instructions above we perfect - except the contol module is ultra slim (no bracket ) so i zip tied it to the same hole in the picture. In addition - this kit clipped right in - no wires to tape. Pictures later - looks great on my 600HL!
That's awesome.. post up some pics at dusk!
Old 08-26-12, 08:06 PM
NM600HL
Driver School Candidate

iphone pics - only so so. Fog HIDS are brigher white than headlights...
Attached Thumbnails HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-photo-2.jpg   HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460-photo-4.jpg  
Old 11-03-13, 09:15 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it better to go with the non digital ballast like the Xentec Premium 9006 HB4 or the digital ballast (slim) like Optix Slim HID Kit - 9006/HB4? Which one will prevent interferences with the parking sensors?

Also, it seems that the 35w will be better because the 55w might cause issue with the onboad computer, is that correct?
Old 11-04-13, 05:00 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Go with non digital they work better with our electical system and go 35W and you will be good.
Old 11-04-13, 08:23 AM
CJITTY

35W is MORE than enough light..trust
Old 11-04-13, 11:14 AM
LexusB0y
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Hello Everyone,

I installed my HID fogs today and thought I would share some pics and info that could help someone out, yes I know this is a long post..sorry.

Some housekeeping:

Disclaimer - attempt at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your install.

My camera really sucks and I was in a rush to install these, so these are the best pics I could provide.

Shout out to my boy Dan for helping me out.

Whats needed as it related to my HID fog install:
*HID Kit with a 9006 bulb application (35 watt system is recommended and most common)
Note - my HID bulbs are OEM Philips 4100K D2S bulbs that have been retrofitted with a 9006 collar to fit into 9006 applications. PM me if you want the ebay seller name that should be able to get you some of these. I recall paying about $60 a pair.
*Flat Head Screwdriver to remove fender liner screws
*Slotted Screwdriver to remove fender liner screws
*two bolts with nuts
*2 big washers with smaller hole for bolts
*2 smaller washers
* Electrical Tape
* Long Zip Ties (optional to support ballast in bracket tighter)
* Isopropyl Alchohol (used to clean HID bulbs to remove any oils)
* Q-tips to clean bulbs with alchohol

Begin by parking car on level surface. Safety First. Make sure lights are off completely, not Auto and also turn the fog switch OFF.

Pick a side to start working on, I chose drivers side and took pics of only this side of the install since the right side is identical. Only difference is there is more room behind the fender liner on the pass side.

Loosen the two fender lining rivet stile plastic screws and one metal screw toward the top that also holds the plastic wheel wheel liner edge and one metal screw at the very bottom of the liner underneath bumper (bottom screw not shown, sorry)

Here is a close up of the overall fog light assembly

Notice the mounting location I chose, a pre drilled hole already there:

Turn and remove the existing halogen 9006 bulb by turning and it should pull out. You may have to wiggle it some. Unplug the light bulb from the connector.

At this point, you may want to test your new HID bulbs and each ballast to make sure they work. Instructions for connection are below or should of come with your kit.

Here is the bracket that came with my HID kit, one bracket per ballast.

Here is what the ballast looks like in the bracket. Notice that on the install that the wires are pointing down where they enter the ballast. This allows for more play and perhaps keeping water from hanging around. You can zip tie around the bracket and ballast to make sure the tabs are tight around the ballast if you wish.

I used the big washer to brace the back side of the bracket facing the front of the car and then a smaller washer on the side facing the tire and then mount the ballast to the pre drilled hole in the bumper frame. The ballast will basically hang down. These ballasts are pretty stable, but slight vibration like this should not be a factor. Once the fender liner is back in place, it will act as a support and keep the ballast from moving around.

At the end of the ballast, one set of wires connect to the pigtails of the HID bulb. The other connection will have two leads (perhaps there is a finished plug for your kit)
There are two female receptacles on the stock harness plug. Insert the red lead wire to which the red wire on the car is going. Then, the other wire will connect into the other female connector. Red seems to stay consistent, but the grounds can be white, blue or black from my experience doing these installs. Just make sure you know which is pos and which is neg. If the fogs don't come on, make sure your fog switch is on, high beams are off. If no luck, then switch the wires.

It should look like this:

Later on you may want to seal up the connection with some electrical tape.

Get a Q-tip and dip in the alchohol and clean off the bulb glass to make sure it is free of oil. Let it just air dry, takes a few seconds. Make sure you don't touch the glass! Where some latex gloves if you have no confidence in your ability to not touch the glass.

Connect the HID bulb wires to the pigtails from the ballast. You can't mess this up, they are male to female and female to male plugs and only go on one way.

Insert the HID bulb back into the fog light assembly. Push it in, turn and you should feel it lock into place. Pull on the light to make sure it is firmly in place.

Start car, and then turn on the fogs to see if it lights up, hopefully it should..you did testing along the way.

Leave the fender liner open for now.

Complete the install on the other side the same way

Once both bulbs are installed, you may want to double check to make sure they are aimed. Notice in the pic further up, there is an adjustment gear to change the vertical aim. I did not have to adjust mine, but I may lower mine to add more light between the bumper and where the low beams start showing on the road.

Easiest way to check aim is first pull up to a flat wall and notice if the fog pattern is basically even on each side..you can see a line going across. The true test is driving at night. If you get flashed, a good sign you need to lower the beams down. Again, i have not been flashed yet or had to adjust them to make sure the fog beams were even with each other.

Then, on each side push in the excess wire, close up the fender liners and put the screws/rivets back in and you are now HID fog kitted out.

On the right (driver side) is HID fog, on the left (pass side) is halogen fog. Camera really can't show the difference as well as I hoped.

Here is both HID fogs in

Here are some night pics also, enjoy.

HID fogs OFF

HID fogs ON

HID fogs OFF:

HID fogs ON:

FINAL PRODUCT

I hope this is helpful to someone, take it easy folks!
Great write up! What's the brand of the product you installed? Looks good!
Old 11-04-13, 02:17 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LexusB0y
Great write up! What's the brand of the product you installed? Looks good!
Thanks...I use good ol fleabay ballasts and they seem to hold up just fine...been at least 3 years now and I run them daily
Old 11-04-13, 02:42 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Thanks Tee and CJITTY for the feedback! I searched on ebay/amz and couldn't find a kit that comes with non digital ballasts. Seems that all the models (xenec, autovision etc..) all come in digital slim or extra slim ballasts.

I made an inquiry with one of the vendor but s there a specific brand i should be looking for on ebay?

Originally Posted by Tee
Go with non digital they work better with our electical system and go 35W and you will be good.
Old 11-04-13, 03:17 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LS2k
Thanks Tee and CJITTY for the feedback! I searched on ebay/amz and couldn't find a kit that comes with non digital ballasts. Seems that all the models (xenec, autovision etc..) all come in digital slim or extra slim ballasts.

I made an inquiry with one of the vendor but s there a specific brand i should be looking for on ebay?
I use cheap ol $29 ebay analog ballasts and they work just fine

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 11-04-13, 05:49 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

I must be doing some wrong cause i can't locate a 9006 HB4 35w HID kit with analog ballast on ebay.

Is there a particular brand/seller i should be looking for?
Old 11-04-13, 06:19 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LS2k
I must be doing some wrong cause i can't locate a 9006 HB4 35w HID kit with analog ballast on ebay.

Is there a particular brand/seller i should be looking for?
Use 9006..not hb4...don't mention analog either. Just put 9006 HID kit and 3000k for yellow or 4300k for matching headlights color

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App

Quick Reply: HID Fog Install DIY w/PICS for LS460