LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 12:51 PM
Broadsword
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the United posted as a repair facility in the US, are there any approved ML repair companies in Ontario Canada? I have called Lexus, Mark Levinson and am striking out.
Old 12-29-15, 01:02 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Broadsword
I have seen the United posted as a repair facility in the US, are there any approved ML repair companies in Ontario Canada? I have called Lexus, Mark Levinson and am striking out.
United is not a company "approved" by anyone. They have figured out how to fix the amp and seemingly, they are doing a good job. I believe they are charging a lot - because there is no one else whose name is posted here.. I think the lexus dealer charged at cost about $1000, to someone I know, for the replacement. They replaced the amps in two of my cars for free, because I am a long term and large customer of Lexus.

I believe that a "real audio repair tech" can fix it.. These type of people are becoming very rare - almost no one repairs audio equipment anymore.. I am not familiar with Ontario but if the amp in my car fails, I am going to send it to a local guy, who is an audio tech.. and if and when I do that, I wold post here.. Unfortunately, all I can suggest is that you try and find a local audio repair technician.. There is no need for approval of Lexus or ML.

Lexus should be ashamed of itself.. for not providing unlimited warranty for this issue - as an exception, because, clearly, it's customers who paid a premium for it are getting screwed for a manufacturing defect.. They might well be able to force ML to supply replacement amps.. or low cost refurbishment program..

If you call lexus and complain hard enough.. they might sell it to you at a subsidized price or give it to you free..
Old 12-29-15, 01:38 PM
Broadsword
Driver School Candidate

The dealer can get me a "reconditioned amp" for $1,400.00 Canadian, and this would be the second amp in this car, first one repaired under warranty. I agree that since this is an ongoing issue they should have some sort of a program to repair these for free or at a nominal cost to the owner. Thank you for your quick reply, I got on this forum a while ago when I was looking into some other issues but this is the first time I have had the need to post. My dealer has been awesome with service and making allowances for my longstanding support for the dealership and the product.
Old 12-29-15, 02:56 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Broadsword
The dealer can get me a "reconditioned amp" for $1,400.00 Canadian, and this would be the second amp in this car, first one repaired under warranty. I agree that since this is an ongoing issue they should have some sort of a program to repair these for free or at a nominal cost to the owner. Thank you for your quick reply, I got on this forum a while ago when I was looking into some other issues but this is the first time I have had the need to post. My dealer has been awesome with service and making allowances for my longstanding support for the dealership and the product.
You might as well take the deal from your dealer.. I believe that the repair company was charging $900 US.. And yes, the dealer cost is around USD$1000.. It is very easy to replace yourself.. if you are so inclined- if the dealer is going to charge for installation. It is on the right side of the trunk, under the mat.. Just a couple of plugs to plug in to the new unit.. And maybe a couple of screws to remove it.. Hopefully, he won't charge more than $50 or $100 for installation.. because it would probably take him 15 mins to install.

UPDATe: I think I was mistaken.. the repair is only $700 - $900 canadian.. One advantage with Universal would be - there is a possibility that universal's repair is better than the lexus's because as evidenced by your experience, the replacement also failed.. Or.. maybe the replacement under warranty was new and this refurbished unit from lexus might actually be better than new and as good as universal's repaired unit.. It is anyone's guess! Btw, have you checked used part dealers and ebay?

Last edited by lexus600hl; 12-29-15 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 04:42 AM
Stillgil2
Driver School Candidate

Hi just found this form and so glad I did. Purchase my 2007 LS 460 last month. 80k miles. Drove to the beach and was waiting for a parking space for about a half hour when suddenly the radio went off. There was a persistent beeping sound coming from the speakers. Thought the car was about to blow up.
Drove to several local radio repair shops. They had no idea or just wasn't interested in trying to find out what the problem was. Somehow found this form and started reading all the messages regarding the ML amp. I then knew without a doubt that my problem was a blown amp. Took it to the dealer that I bought it from. They would not help with the repair but agreed to do the diagnostic to determine if that was indeed the problem. It was.

Look up United auto on the Internet and they did respond just like the form suggested they would very courteous. They quoted $725 after I gave them the model and the serial number of the amp. Printed the return form that they provide on their web site and mailed today. $26.

Will update the post once the amp is return and install. The short time the system play the sound was wonderful can't wait to get it back and see if it's still as good.
Old 07-12-16, 08:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillgil2
Hi just found this form and so glad I did. Purchase my 2007 LS 460 last month. 80k miles. Drove to the beach and was waiting for a parking space for about a half hour when suddenly the radio went off. There was a persistent beeping sound coming from the speakers. Thought the car was about to blow up.
Drove to several local radio repair shops. They had no idea or just wasn't interested in trying to find out what the problem was. Somehow found this form and started reading all the messages regarding the ML amp. I then knew without a doubt that my problem was a blown amp. Took it to the dealer that I bought it from. They would not help with the repair but agreed to do the diagnostic to determine if that was indeed the problem. It was.

Look up United auto on the Internet and they did respond just like the form suggested they would very courteous. They quoted $725 after I gave them the model and the serial number of the amp. Printed the return form that they provide on their web site and mailed today. $26.

Will update the post once the amp is return and install. The short time the system play the sound was wonderful can't wait to get it back and see if it's still as good.
Based on member's experiences with United, you should be very happy. Once replaced, you'll be enjoying that wonderful ML sound again. Plus, you'll likely never have to worry about another failure.
Old 07-16-16, 11:30 PM
CBS70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For Those in SoCal, Hi-Tech Electronics in Van Nuys, 7049 Valjean Ave, VN. Ca. 91406, repairs them as well. They even have a video on how to remove the amp if you are unsure of how to do it on you tube. Please don't pay to have it removed and installed, its that easy. The price of repair is comparable, $700 for a refurbished amp. They can be reached at 818-785-8085.
Old 07-17-16, 05:32 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You might want to check with your local Lexus dealership.
Had mine replaced by Lexus 2 months ago for $705.40 ($625 for refurb'd amp and $80.40 labor)
Lucky for me it's under CPO so zero cost for me.
I wonder if Lexus dealerships have different amp price for non-CPOs since most post I see on amp replacement quote by the dealer is over $1k.
Old 08-04-16, 10:04 AM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrgameover
They should have. Mine started chirping at 52k in my 07L. I recently had mine repaired through United Radio with about a day turn around. The repair has a year warranty, but I did ask the tech if any or their "repaired" amps has return, and he stated none. Hopefully this fix is permanent.
"None" was untrue. I've had mine from my 2004 ES330 (original owner) repaired by them three times now, and it just went out AGAIN. The amp always seems to last past the one year warranty they offer. The last repair went three years. When I first sent it in, it was around $325, which I considered almost reasonable. The current $700+ is just excessive.

They do repair the amps, and they do honor their 1 year warranty, but spending more on amp repairs than I have spent on all the maintenance I've done combined since the car was new is ridiculous!

Last edited by Bluescreen; 08-04-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-04-16, 10:09 AM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CBS70
For Those in SoCal, Hi-Tech Electronics in Van Nuys, 7049 Valjean Ave, VN. Ca. 91406, repairs them as well. They even have a video on how to remove the amp if you are unsure of how to do it on you tube. Please don't pay to have it removed and installed, its that easy. The price of repair is comparable, $700 for a refurbished amp. They can be reached at 818-785-8085.
Last time I talked to them about two years ago, they told me they no longer repair Mark Levinson amps. There's nothing on their web site about ML repairs under "Lexus" at all.
Old 08-05-16, 01:40 PM
CBS70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Bluescreen;9575233]Last time I talked to them about two years ago, they told me they no longer repair Mark Levinson amps. There's nothing on their web site about ML repairs under "Lexus" at all.[/QUOT

http://youtu.be/oe_CEO1U9fE

Here is the video on removing the amp. I had one done about 2 months ago. It may not say on the website but they do repair our amps. I'll try to find my receipt and post it.
Old 08-12-16, 09:37 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

It sounds like most people report a chirping sound when the amp fails. My audio cut out today on the way to work (no chirping sound, just no sound at all) so I pulled over to check the 30A fuse on the passenger side. The fuse was blown. Five minutes later I was at the auto parts store and put a new fuse in. The new fuse popped as soon as i plugged it in. Does this sound like a bad amp or are there other things I should check first to see what is blowing the fuse?
Old 08-12-16, 11:30 AM
Bluescreen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
It sounds like most people report a chirping sound when the amp fails. My audio cut out today on the way to work (no chirping sound, just no sound at all) so I pulled over to check the 30A fuse on the passenger side. The fuse was blown. Five minutes later I was at the auto parts store and put a new fuse in. The new fuse popped as soon as i plugged it in. Does this sound like a bad amp or are there other things I should check first to see what is blowing the fuse?
Sorry, classic symptom of a blown amplifier. I've had it happen twice in my 2004 ES330. Repaired by:

United Radio
5705 Enterprise Pkwy
East Syracuse NY 13057
315-446-5570

Call them and check, but I believe they're charging around $500 for the Mark Levinson amp repair, including return shipping and a year warranty. Fast turnaround (my repairs were both done in a day or two exclusive of shipping, of course).

You have to uninstall and reinstall it, but it's relatively simple to do.

It's almost always a heat issue, I've been told. Lots more failures in warmer parts of the U.S.

There are also used ones available for $350-$600 on ebay, almost always from wrecking yards, and of course that's something of a crapshoot.
Old 08-12-16, 12:27 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Ya I am also assuming it is a blown amp, but before I take it out and ship it off I was hoping there is some way to verify the tripping is actually being caused by the amp. Does anybody have thoughts on whether a blown speaker could also be causing the fuse to blow or how I can otherwise confirm?
Old 08-12-16, 12:54 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This seems really common. Has anyone taken proactive measures to cool this thing off assuming it is indeed overheating?

Installing a 12 V DC fan, like a computer case fan, blowing over the amp?
Installing the amp on an oversized metal plate, corrugated if possible, to act as a heat sink and help dissipate heat away?

What components are failing in it? Capacitors? Transformers? Or simple solder melting away on various circuit board components? Anyone know?

Blown speakers will rarely cause an amp to trip, at least I can't recall that ever happening and I've had a lot of blown speakers in cars and at home over my lifetime.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair