LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Amp Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 03:34 PM
hazzmat101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Levinson amps

I was able to find a replacement amp on ebay in november for 325.00. Stereo showed it was playing but no sound. The replacement amp corrected the problem. Good luck
Old 12-14-16, 03:05 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
United is not a company "approved" by anyone. They have figured out how to fix the amp and seemingly, they are doing a good job. I believe they are charging a lot - because there is no one else whose name is posted here.. I think the lexus dealer charged at cost about $1000, to someone I know, for the replacement. They replaced the amps in two of my cars for free, because I am a long term and large customer of Lexus.

I believe that a "real audio repair tech" can fix it.. These type of people are becoming very rare - almost no one repairs audio equipment anymore.. I am not familiar with Ontario but if the amp in my car fails, I am going to send it to a local guy, who is an audio tech.. and if and when I do that, I wold post here.. Unfortunately, all I can suggest is that you try and find a local audio repair technician.. There is no need for approval of Lexus or ML.

Lexus should be ashamed of itself.. for not providing unlimited warranty for this issue - as an exception, because, clearly, it's customers who paid a premium for it are getting screwed for a manufacturing defect.. They might well be able to force ML to supply replacement amps.. or low cost refurbishment program..

If you call lexus and complain hard enough.. they might sell it to you at a subsidized price or give it to you free..
After 8 years and 54K miles, my ML amp blew. My 8yr/100 mile Lexus extended warranty ($2,200) expired less than one week after it blew! The only thing Lexus Corporate would do is pay for half which results in me paying $560 plus tax. I told them the whole story about my low mileage, failing within 1 week of Lexus extended warranty, and my LS600 is my 5th Lexus. I told them the ML amplifier issue is a common problem from what I read on a forum on the Internet. I escalated to the Executive level after the regular case worker was quite indifferent. Unfortunately, the escalation to Executive level did not help. Joy from Lexus Executive level asked if the forum was Club Lexus and I confirmed LOL. Joy was nice but again would not budge from the 50% offer.

I agree. Shame on Lexus who used to be well known for customer service has lowered their standards of customer service. This ML amp problem is common enough that when I called in to my service writer at Lexus, he knew exactly what the problem was. This is not the Lexus of old.
The following users liked this post:
RFTowers74 (12-03-21)
Old 12-14-16, 04:05 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another member here fixed this problem himself.. or is in the process of fixing it.. no need to pay $700+ to United Audio.
This can be fixed by any electronics repair tech for $150!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...ml#post9707282
steedls400 (03-26-20)
Old 12-14-16, 09:08 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I posted this about a more general ML system question, but the same points apply. Especially as with the 460 ML went from Class AB to Class D. In Mark Levinsonspeak the digital amplification is called "GreenEdge". An even more powerful version of this system is in the LF-A
"
"The 460 system is simply in another category than the prior LS Mark Levinson system and for an OEM is shockingly good. While it might sound humblebragish (so be it), my home theater is worth far more and insured for more than my 460 and with the proper source material, the ML Reference System is shockingly good for an OEM.
It is a shame that .0000000000075436% of you guys probably own DVD-Audio discs as they sound phenomenal on the system. SACD's will not play on the system, but the many SACD/CD hybrids will at least play the CD layer of the disc in the car.

About 10 years ago (more sadly; just old at 40) DVD-A and SACD waged a format war to be the replacement for the CD offering vastly higher sampling rates, dedicated surround channels and most important to the record companies, robust copyright protection.

Needless to say, MP3 and the like one. It is crazy to me as a long time audiophile that LP's have made a huge comeback. Still has the same signal to noise issues, the records will eventually wear out due to a needle digging into vinyl, etc. While I have a very healthy SACD/DVD-A collection, I do not own a single record. I do listen to Spotify Premium all the time through AirPlay and as long as you change the SQ settings in the setup, it sounds decent on my home setup.

The amplifier's reliability is cause for concern. What is interesting is the 460 uses what ML calls GreenEdge amplification. AKA Class D amplification. (Stuff from the dawn of the era to the late 90's and now is either Class A or Class AB with AB being vastly more common with only a handful of hideously expensive amplifiers running Class A (early Krell stuff and others). Better AB amplifiers can run up to the first 27 (Aragon 8008bb) in Class A before switching to AB,
Class D Runs much cooler, draws less power, etc. The best known example of this kind of amplification is ICE amplification."With this type of amplification running much cooler, it would stand to reason that components would be less likely to fail as heat is so often the enemy of reliability of electronics. Especially with poor ventilation and under specced heatsinks.
steedls400 (03-26-20)
Old 12-17-16, 09:43 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My amp was replace once before I purchased the car...maybe around 40K miles. Around 80K miles the amp started acting up again, cutting out almost exactly 20 mins after driving. I could turn off the car, let it sit for some time (30-1hr) and the audio would work fine again for about 20 mins.I sent the amp to UR and they told me the amp was still good, no issues. I took it to Lexus and they told me the amp was bad, paid to have a refurbished unit installed. Drove away and 20 mins later it cut out again. Took it back and they spent sometime with the car. Discovered that a component in the Mayday ecu is bad, sending a mute signal to the amp. This is the system in the car where if you are paying for the subscription the operator would come over the speaker to ask if you're okay/need help in the event of an accident. The idea is the system would mute the stereo so you could hear the operator. My choices were to buy a new mayday ecu, over $4K - for a system I don't pay for anyway or simply depin the one wire from the amp to the mayday ecu which sent the signal to mute the system. I picked the later, Lexus refunded my money for the refurbished amp.
steedls400 (03-26-20)
Old 12-18-16, 08:12 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeke21
My amp was replace once before I purchased the car...maybe around 40K miles. Around 80K miles the amp started acting up again, cutting out almost exactly 20 mins after driving. I could turn off the car, let it sit for some time (30-1hr) and the audio would work fine again for about 20 mins.I sent the amp to UR and they told me the amp was still good, no issues. I took it to Lexus and they told me the amp was bad, paid to have a refurbished unit installed. Drove away and 20 mins later it cut out again. Took it back and they spent sometime with the car. Discovered that a component in the Mayday ecu is bad, sending a mute signal to the amp. This is the system in the car where if you are paying for the subscription the operator would come over the speaker to ask if you're okay/need help in the event of an accident. The idea is the system would mute the stereo so you could hear the operator. My choices were to buy a new mayday ecu, over $4K - for a system I don't pay for anyway or simply depin the one wire from the amp to the mayday ecu which sent the signal to mute the system. I picked the later, Lexus refunded my money for the refurbished amp.
Good ending.
Old 12-27-16, 05:32 AM
Kevmo707
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

325 is a deal! Thank you
Old 12-28-16, 09:00 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Another member here fixed this problem himself.. or is in the process of fixing it.. no need to pay $700+ to United Audio.
This can be fixed by any electronics repair tech for $150!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...ml#post9707282
He couldn't do the repair himself so that is a no go. United Radio or Ebay seem the best options BUT expect failure again. I have read mixed stories of UR repairs being bullet proof after repair. Some have had failures after repair. But I would fully expect a failure on an Ebay unit.
Old 12-28-16, 09:58 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

I need to ask my friend who owns a 2004 LS430 UL (we had almost identical cars for 4 months) where he got his fixed. He is a professional musician and sound engineer and lives in Nashville where he got his repaired. I believe it cost around $200 or so.

I will ask him and report back. Like I stated before, the amplifier in the 460 is a Class D whereas the one in the 430 is Class AB, but it generally seems to be a bad capacitor behind the failure so I would think the repair to be similar.
Old 12-28-16, 11:40 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I need to ask my friend who owns a 2004 LS430 UL (we had almost identical cars for 4 months) where he got his fixed. He is a professional musician and sound engineer and lives in Nashville where he got his repaired. I believe it cost around $200 or so.

I will ask him and report back. Like I stated before, the amplifier in the 460 is a Class D whereas the one in the 430 is Class AB, but it generally seems to be a bad capacitor behind the failure so I would think the repair to be similar.
This would be good to know for all of the ML amp failure people. Lexus surely has not backed up their selection of the ML brand to put in their flagship model. Only we Lexus consumers (some to migrate to including myself) can help each other like the Lexus of old did.
Old 01-07-17, 10:27 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Junglequac, Happy New Year! Did you get a chance to ask your friend about this?
Old 01-08-17, 05:24 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Mea culpa. Will call him today!
Old 01-08-17, 01:41 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to drop a note even though I sold this car almost 3 years ago.

I got the ML amp in my 2006 IS350 repaired by United Radio and it had the same exact failure with the cars new owner last year. Thats why I am here actually, to get UR's info so she can send the amp to them again. The original repair lasted several years.
Old 01-12-17, 09:06 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Mea culpa. Will call him today!
You made me dig into my memory banks for Latin class in high school and college...

I ended up paying the dealership for a remanufactured unit. Lexus Corp agreed to pay half. BUT I think it will help others to have options besides the dealership and UR. It appears the UR repair is not bullet-proof so I may end up at this thread if you can give an alternative repair source. Thanks.
Old 01-13-17, 02:04 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by USLEX
You made me dig into my memory banks for Latin class in high school and college...

I ended up paying the dealership for a remanufactured unit. Lexus Corp agreed to pay half. BUT I think it will help others to have options besides the dealership and UR. It appears the UR repair is not bullet-proof so I may end up at this thread if you can give an alternative repair source. Thanks.
I called him. His father is not doing well and is being transitioned into a hospice type scenario so I did not mention the amp repair. As soon as the timing does not feel churlish, I shall ask him.

Very cool that Lexus at least ponied up half! May this amplifier be the last one you need.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Repair