LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460 making very apparent braking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 10:00 AM
babowc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS460 making very apparent braking noise

Hello guys, I'm new to this board and found this out through a friend to share my experience and possibly get some information about my 08' LS460.

I've driven the car about 25k miles now and this problem was apparent but it has gradually gotten worse as time went by..

First, clicking noises when depressing the brakes gradually got louder and it's to the point where it's annoying in-cabin and I can feel taps on the brake pedal. I went in for repairs under warranty to the dealership I purchased the car and they said they replaced a "$3000" actuator and blew me off.

"OK" I thought, and just drove the car around minimally, went back several times to get this problem fixed but most of time they would just shrug me off, give me a loaner for a day or two and have me pick up the car and tell me that nothing is wrong with the car. Can't even tell if the car was actually worked on as I couldn't tell whether they even took off the wheels or not..

Fast forward to a week ago, I had family from Korea and we're driving around downtown ATL and all of a sudden I start hearing creaking noises upon braking and releasing.

Naturally, I took it to the dealership and got another loaner for a day. Came back the next day to pick up the car and the service advisor tells me nothing is wrong with the car. I asked them if they test drove it and they said "yes, we have and there were no problems". I took their word, drove off the lot and lo behold it's still there.. I tried many times to replicate it and it comes back EVERYTIME.

After about an hour I went back into the dealership and asked for the service manager and he comes out furious and the first thing I ask is if he wanted to take a test drive with me, but instead of the polite "No", I'm confronted by him with the "There's the door, get out". At this point, I'm furious as I've purchased two of my own cars at this dealership and helped a friend purchase another. I explain the problem and he refuses to listen and eventually I threw a few f-bombs. At this point, he is telling me rudely that nothing can be done, so go to another dealership and don't even come back.

I left the dealership but I couldn't get my head around what would possess him to treat me that way and I sat in the parking lot for a good 5 minutes before proceeding into the sales lobby and asking for a general manager who was much more courteous. I was told the same thing in much more courteous manner and was explained what had happened and he promised he'd get a resolution and that we may be able to just trade the car in.

This is when things came to a halt, but apparently my father went back in with the car and was again confronted with even worse manner than I was confronted and him not being able to speak fluent English, just started throwing m-f bombs but what surprised me is that the service manager and supervisor both returned the m-f bombs right back at him followed by a bird while he was leaving.

I'm most definitely going to get those two guys fired by confronting the dealership group owner about this matter, but as far as my car goes, what can I do? I read up on the Lemon Law, but should I go ahead and hire an attorney for this? I am very sick of having to go in for my car several times a month, especially for paying top-dollar for Lexus' flagship car..

Please help!
Old 09-24-10, 02:31 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by babowc
Hello guys, I'm new to this board and found this out through a friend to share my experience and possibly get some information about my 08' LS460.

I've driven the car about 25k miles now and this problem was apparent but it has gradually gotten worse as time went by..

First, clicking noises when depressing the brakes gradually got louder and it's to the point where it's annoying in-cabin and I can feel taps on the brake pedal. I went in for repairs under warranty to the dealership I purchased the car and they said they replaced a "$3000" actuator and blew me off.

"OK" I thought, and just drove the car around minimally, went back several times to get this problem fixed but most of time they would just shrug me off, give me a loaner for a day or two and have me pick up the car and tell me that nothing is wrong with the car. Can't even tell if the car was actually worked on as I couldn't tell whether they even took off the wheels or not..

Fast forward to a week ago, I had family from Korea and we're driving around downtown ATL and all of a sudden I start hearing creaking noises upon braking and releasing.

Naturally, I took it to the dealership and got another loaner for a day. Came back the next day to pick up the car and the service advisor tells me nothing is wrong with the car. I asked them if they test drove it and they said "yes, we have and there were no problems". I took their word, drove off the lot and lo behold it's still there.. I tried many times to replicate it and it comes back EVERYTIME.

After about an hour I went back into the dealership and asked for the service manager and he comes out furious and the first thing I ask is if he wanted to take a test drive with me, but instead of the polite "No", I'm confronted by him with the "There's the door, get out". At this point, I'm furious as I've purchased two of my own cars at this dealership and helped a friend purchase another. I explain the problem and he refuses to listen and eventually I threw a few f-bombs. At this point, he is telling me rudely that nothing can be done, so go to another dealership and don't even come back.

I left the dealership but I couldn't get my head around what would possess him to treat me that way and I sat in the parking lot for a good 5 minutes before proceeding into the sales lobby and asking for a general manager who was much more courteous. I was told the same thing in much more courteous manner and was explained what had happened and he promised he'd get a resolution and that we may be able to just trade the car in.

This is when things came to a halt, but apparently my father went back in with the car and was again confronted with even worse manner than I was confronted and him not being able to speak fluent English, just started throwing m-f bombs but what surprised me is that the service manager and supervisor both returned the m-f bombs right back at him followed by a bird while he was leaving.

I'm most definitely going to get those two guys fired by confronting the dealership group owner about this matter, but as far as my car goes, what can I do? I read up on the Lemon Law, but should I go ahead and hire an attorney for this? I am very sick of having to go in for my car several times a month, especially for paying top-dollar for Lexus' flagship car..

Please help!
Drive to a different dealer. They are all completely different.

Before i bought my LS460 i wanted to know how much longer the warranty was good for. One dealer i called said they were busy but they would take my name and number down and get back to me. They never did...

I called Lexus Corporate and they said i would have to wait 1-2 days but they gave me the information the next day.

I double checked with another Lexus dealer to verify what Lexus corporate told me who happily gave me the information.

Anyhow why suffer with an obviously low end dealership? I would maybe understand if you lived in a small town which doesnt have many dealerships but in Atlanta? They cant be the only Lexus Dealer around.

Its immature that you and your father swore at the service manager... I mean what do you think you were gonna accomplish with that? You shouldve told him look, i will be taking my business elsewhere and will make sure my friends never buy a car from you guys for how you treated me. Then you just walk out and go to a different dealership that isnt low end.

A simple google search is showing:

Hennessy Lexus of Atlanta
Sales (770)457-6800 - Service (770)457-6800

Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett
Phone: (888) 346-8146

www.lexusofsouthatlanta.com
888-226-8990

Thats whats awesome about America. You can choose to do business with whomever you like.

Anyhow i am sure you are capable of locating another dealership.

In terms of hiring an attorney, what for? Any decent Lexus dealer should be able to find a solution to your problem.

Last edited by elite7; 09-24-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 04:23 PM
babowc
Driver

I went to Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett and we've had Lexus corporate come out and check it out and they said they can't do anything about it.
Old 09-25-10, 06:50 PM
topgun04
Driver

That doesn't sound good at all.. I have a similar problem, they change my actuator and bleed my brake fluid twice (the first time with the actuator replacement) and the noice was still there. So they re-surface the rotor and replace the brake pad in the last go aroud. And the noise were reduce substaintially. I did notice that if I park my car uphill.. I heard a lot more of the noise when I use the car the next time. At this moment the noise is tolerable (we have to look for it to hear it). We will probably just return the car after lease end in a year or so. In your situation, I will definitely go for lemon law and see how it go.. if folks can get a replacement/buyout with wind noise, I would think brake noise will get you there as well.. Keep us posted about the situation.. By the way, I can understand why they can't do anything in the dealership. Since they are paid by the corporate to fix the car, they can't just try anything they wish. Lexus will have to approve of the fix.. If Lexus don't believe that a propose fix will do anything to the car, they won't approve the expense and your dealer is stuck.. so it is something to get mad at the Lexus brand and not necessary to your dealer (however the F-bomb thingy is too much.. They should just walk away from it, nothing good come out of the customer service guy throwing out F-bombs)..
Old 10-08-10, 04:06 PM
firstbread
Driver School Candidate

I had same problem too and I went to cerritos lexus which is around my house. I explain to them about the brake sound. The top mechanic told me I had to change the brakes after test driving my car. But sound was not coming from the brakes it was coming more from the engine so I went to Westmister Lexus which is about 10miles away and I got mine fixed with no question asked. Service guy came out and he pressed the brake once and he knew exactly what was wrong.....I got my brake actuator changed and I do not hear any noise anymore...

I had same experience with this cerritos lexus service people. they had very bad manner and I think they kind of knew what was wrong with the car, but instead they told me "DO NOT LOOK AT THE FORUM PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW ANTHING. (I told them I read LS460 has brake actuator problem from the forum). I KNOW BETTER AND TRUST ME IT IS BRAKES..." I almost believed his bull ****...

Last edited by firstbread; 10-08-10 at 07:42 PM.