LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Need new battery

Old 10-12-10, 07:21 AM
memphisLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 24-DLG from Autozone was a great fit!! Thanks for the info!!!
Old 10-12-10, 07:38 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hang on to your receipt, it has a great warranty. 3 year free replacement, and then a prorated 8 year warranty!

750 cold cranking Amps
935 cranking Amps
130 reserve minutes

pretty hard to beat for about 100 bucks. Also Since I upgraded my audio and added several amps, there is a noticeable difference in how much current this battery puts out vs the factory OEM battery. The LS is a power hungry vehicle anways, but this is able to take care of all the electronics and the aftermarket items I put in very well.
Old 08-11-11, 02:50 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I replaced the battery in my 2007 LS460 today. The battery was not exhibiting any characteristics of failure and was the Panasonic battery that came in the car when it was put into service, new, on 27 Sep 07. I routinely replace auto batteries at 48 month as they are typically nearing the end of their life and the cost of wasted battery life versus cost and inconvenience of a failed battery are about equal at that time.

The replacement battery that I used was an InterState MT-24(H-1) and it was the exact same size as the OEM battery. The plastic shroud that goes over the battery fit the new battery perfectly. The tray that the battery sits in will accommodate a wider battery but the height and width of the MT-24 fit the tray, shroud and bracket exactly.

This was a perfect opportunity to gather some information about the power consumption to help dispel some of the myths about modern cars being unable to sit very long without depleting the battery. I used my Fluke model 179 multimeter to measure the standby current. The method I used was to put my meter in the 400mA DC mode and connect it in series with the car battery. All the car doors were closed and the power (ACC/IGN) was off. The meter has 1mA resolution in this mode and it registered ZERO. With this in mind, I believe that it would be safe to say that a car with a good battery could sit idle for a year or two and be started with no difficulty.

I gathered some other information that might be useful to some who are trouble shooting electrical problems. My method for this data was to use a Simpson 50 Amp/50 mV meter-shunt in series with the car battery and my Fluke 179 multimeter.

The first measurement was to get the battery current when the car was in the “ACC On” mode and the sound system on. I got: 7 Amps

I also measured the current with the car in the “IGN On” and the headlights on (low beam). It measured: 45 Amps

And I measured the current with the headlights on (low beam) and the “ACC/IGN Off.” It was: 14 Amps

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-11-11 at 03:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmcraney:
DrQuality (07-22-21), texas008 (07-07-22)
Old 08-11-11, 07:20 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am using an EverStart MAXX. Great battery.
Old 08-11-11, 08:19 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I replaced the battery in my 2007 LS460 today. The battery was not exhibiting any characteristics of failure and was the Panasonic battery that came in the car when it was put into service, new, on 27 Sep 07. I routinely replace auto batteries at 48 month as they are typically nearing the end of their life and the cost of wasted battery life versus cost and inconvenience of a failed battery are about equal at that time.

The replacement battery that I used was an InterState MT-24(H-1) and it was the exact same size as the OEM battery. The plastic shroud that goes over the battery fit the new battery perfectly. The tray that the battery sits in will accommodate a wider battery but the height and width of the MT-24 fit the tray, shroud and bracket exactly.

This was a perfect opportunity to gather some information about the power consumption to help dispel some of the myths about modern cars being unable to sit very long without depleting the battery. I used my Fluke model 179 multimeter to measure the standby current. The method I used was to put my meter in the 400mA DC mode and connect it in series with the car battery. All the car doors were closed and the power (ACC/IGN) was off. The meter has 1mA resolution in this mode and it registered ZERO. With this in mind, I believe that it would be safe to say that a car with a good battery could sit idle for a year or two and be started with no difficulty.

I gathered some other information that might be useful to some who are trouble shooting electrical problems. My method for this data was to use a Simpson 50 Amp/50 mV meter-shunt in series with the car battery and my Fluke 179 multimeter.

The first measurement was to get the battery current when the car was in the “ACC On” mode and the sound system on. I got: 7 Amps

I also measured the current with the car in the “IGN On” and the headlights on (low beam). It measured: 45 Amps

And I measured the current with the headlights on (low beam) and the “ACC/IGN Off.” It was: 14 Amps
Interesting, thanks for taking the time to pull these numbers.
Old 08-14-11, 08:03 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I Had my batt replaced for free yesterday at the dealer, the last one was put in the car in Jan 2010. Batt did not last 2 yrs, I asked my tech what brand did he put in, he said Interstate it has Lexus name on it. I believe the last one was a Panny so i will see how long this one last.
Old 08-15-11, 10:21 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Battery Info

Originally Posted by jmcraney

You have provided us with some extremely useful information over the past few years.

Thanks again for enlightening all of us once again. I enjoyed reading and learning from this.

Mikey

Old 09-22-11, 09:58 PM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any duralast gold 24-DLG users have a suggestion for a guy who needs a change asap? is it still the right choice ?

thanks!

also, as far as changing the battery, i read somewhere (maybe on this forum) but cannot find that it is poor practice to change the battery while the car is on, could possibly damage the electronics. what is the proper way of doing this? i can pay pepboys or autozone to do it or i can do it, i just don't want people to slap things around and say ok go, it's working.

what are the downsides, losing settings like homelink and music presets? will anything happen to nav? do i need a radio code? can i enter the radio code myself and do i get it from the dealer, easily?

thanks!

i found the link

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12855

Last edited by roundback; 09-22-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 07:07 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I would not recommend changing the battery while the car is running.

You will lose the settings, and may need the code but the Nav and HomeLink should stay

Covers have to be removed to get at it, but its a 5 min swap if you know how, if you dont, maybe 10

I would call your local AutoZone and ask them if they will swap our your battery if you buy it from them. I know they test them and handle other modest swaps
Old 09-23-11, 07:14 AM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmasten
I would not recommend changing the battery while the car is running.

You will lose the settings, and may need the code but the Nav and HomeLink should stay

Covers have to be removed to get at it, but its a 5 min swap if you know how, if you dont, maybe 10

I would call your local AutoZone and ask them if they will swap our your battery if you buy it from them. I know they test them and handle other modest swaps
autozone will put it in but the guys said "i usually leave the car on while i do it"

so it's best to just turn off the car and do it ? how do you get the radio code back ?

thanks
Old 09-23-11, 07:29 AM
jmcraney

Don't even think about changing the battery with the car running!!!!

Replacing a functioning battery is simple. You just turn the ignition off, accessory power off too, and change the battery. Cmasten has given you some good advice about the HomeLink. Unless you leave the battery disconnected for several hours you won't even have to redo the radio presets. You don't need to know any kind of codes. There is a note in the owners manual that the TPMS must be initialized (benchmarked) after the battery has been disconnected. I have done this several times and it is easy, and as cmasten said, takes minutes. The only thing that takes time is mastering the little fasteners on the battery cover. If you need a tutorial on the fasteners I am sure that someone here will help you.
The following users liked this post:
Dean2 (03-13-24)
Old 09-23-11, 07:31 AM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

i just want to make sure if i will end up needing the radio code, he said maybe, is this something i get from the dealer ?
The following users liked this post:
Dragula (09-07-21)
Old 09-23-11, 08:05 AM
jmcraney

I am not sure what "radio code" you are referring to, but if you are talking about the XM identification code, you get that by tuning the XM to channel zero and then coordinating that with XM/Sirius. You should not need to redo your XM because your battery has been disconnected.
Old 09-23-11, 08:30 AM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

not XM, i remember back in the days, if you did something like this, the "head unit" on a car would sometimes stop working because it needed a radio code.

anyway, i will let you guys know what happens.

thanks
Old 09-23-11, 08:38 AM
jmcraney

You must be talking about some sort of anti-theft feature. I am not aware that there is that sort of problem with disconnecting the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 Need new battery