LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ipad to aux in via bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 07:57 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipad to aux in via bluetooth

Hello all..

2007 lexus ls460l.. I want to stream music from my ipad via bluetooth to the aux in port inside the center armrest console. I've seen some possible solutions out there but I'm sure someone here has got the best set-up. I don't want to mess the the inner workings of the dash.. Just want to pop in a bluetooth adapter into the aux in port, power it with the electrical outlet next to it, sync it to the ipad and let the kiddies play songs controling the ipad from the backseat.

Is this possible?

Thanks?
Old 09-25-10, 02:27 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought a Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit, they are getting harder to find lately though. Make sure you get the generic one with the USB attachment, they make an iPhone-specific one that isn't as good IMO:

Link

Let me also suggest buying a noise filter, as you'll hear feedback from the car's electrical system through the speaker wire without one:

Link

I have an iPhone 4, latest OS update and the integration is just about as good as you can get without an all-in-one setup like the 2010+ models have. Turn the car on, the phone auto-connects and you're good to go. The phone also handles switching between the Kensington unit for music and the car's bluetooth for phone functions.

The only occasional problem I have is unplugging/replugging the power end, this is something I have to do once every 2-3 weeks. I imagine it gets loose after a while from being knocked around, I drive ~60 miles a day for work.
Old 09-25-10, 08:15 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
I bought a Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit
Link

Let me also suggest buying a noise filter, as you'll hear feedback from the car's electrical system through the speaker wire without one:

Link
Can they be integrated?

In other words, do you use the BT device to transmit audio and the noise canceler to purify the transmitted audio? From the few pictures on the vendor's website I couldn't see how they can be integrated.
Old 09-26-10, 10:35 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=The only occasional problem I have is unplugging/replugging the power end, this is something I have to do once every 2-3 weeks. I imagine it gets loose after a while from being knocked around, I drive ~60 miles a day for work.[/QUOTE]

I assume the power end of the cord you are talking about is the one with a wide flattish data/charging proprietary plug that goes into the iPhone and the other end either a USB or cigarette lighter plug.

We got an accessory kit for our iPod and the wide flattish plug has locking pins on each side that hold the plug in place. Removal requires you to press on each side of the plug to retract the locking pins. It works very well. You might find this cable eliminates your need to unplug/replug occasionally. Not a big deal at once every 2-3 weeks but you might find it worth while to correct.
Old 09-27-10, 09:19 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JFNash
Can they be integrated?

In other words, do you use the BT device to transmit audio and the noise canceler to purify the transmitted audio? From the few pictures on the vendor's website I couldn't see how they can be integrated.
The noise filter is an in-line filter, it has male headphone jacks at each end, you hook it up in-line with the output from the bluetooth unit. You will need an extra female-to-female adapter to make the connection, these are $3-5 at Radio Shack.
Old 09-28-10, 08:47 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
The noise filter is an in-line filter, it has male headphone jacks at each end, you hook it up in-line with the output from the bluetooth unit. You will need an extra female-to-female adapter to make the connection, these are $3-5 at Radio Shack.
Thanks for the explanation.

Buy.com offers the bluetooth device for $87 shipped, and most of the websites sell it around the same price more or less. However there's a seller on Amazon.com (Computer Geeks) sells it for $32 shipped! Does it make sense?

I'm going to order it, but I don't want to pay a buck for replicas and scums of that sort.

Link
Old 09-28-10, 05:27 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

That looks like the right one, yeah. When I got it on Amazon it was ~$50, but I've noticed that the prices vary greatly. I think that Kensington discontinued it, but I have no idea why.
Old 10-14-10, 03:43 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input!

I was able to put together the following package from amazon and hooked it up... Easy, 2 minute connection and I get crystal clear streaming bluetooth audio from my ipad and ipod touch into my amazing ml stereo system. Sounds Great... Deep bass, crisp highs...

There might be better, cheaper solutions but I know this set up works 100% with the ipad and ipod touch.

Bluetooth adapter from sony:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Audio cable with noise filter... I get ZERO hiss or electrical whine with this puppy:

Power the bluetooth adaptor with this cable:

The system gets connected in the power outlet/aux in port inside the center console. It gets hidden and neatly tucked away.

The only drawback with this setup is that the bluetooth unit must be powered on when you are going to use it. It does not turn on automatically upon engine start up. No biggie, but on wifey's Merc. GL450 it powers up on engine start up.

If you're looking for a streaming bluetooth audio solution under $100 for pre-10 LS's give this set up a look... It is plug and play and works very nicely.

Let me know if you find any other solutions out there...

Thanks!
Old 09-25-13, 09:12 PM
bluebaloo
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution Found?

Did you guys find a solution for converting the Aux to Bluetooth to stream music? I found some devices but they seem to diminish the quality coming from the Mark Levinson Speakers as oppose to directly connecting the smart phone to the Aux.

I wonder if its possible to stream from the Bluetooth thats already in the car like in the newer models?

Any Ideas?
Old 09-26-13, 02:59 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

This device will do exactly what you are asking for:

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

A few people on this forum have used this device successfully.
Old 09-30-13, 11:06 AM
bluebaloo
Driver School Candidate

Default sound quality

And this will maintain the Mark Levinson Quality?
Old 09-30-13, 02:30 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

as long as you have a good source - yes. I use Bluetooth on a 2012 LS connected to an iPhone and sound quality is equivalent to a CD.
Old 10-05-13, 06:41 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue, I have an 09 LS with Mark Lev and have been enjoying the Blackberry Gateway for about a year now. It works seemlessly with my iPhone 5 and even transfers my vm messages to the system's speakers. No loss of sound quality to normal civilian ears. Only a true audiophile would notice the difference.
Old 10-05-13, 04:37 PM
jiceoo
Driver School Candidate

Help me out.... why go bluetooth instead of using the headphone jack?
Old 10-06-13, 12:53 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

1. You don't have to connect it each time.
2. You get a better sound signal from the mobile device's pre amp instead of from the headphone amp.

Quick Reply: Ipad to aux in via bluetooth