LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driver's Seat Problem LS 460 Sport 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, seems like we do have more and more owners having problems with their seats. interesting. never heard of this problem with 1-3ls
Old 11-30-10, 07:24 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the seat cushion tsb done, the seat is slightly more comfortable but still not that great. On top of that, the leather is now rougher and wrinkled. I'm still debating on having the dealer redo with new leather. With my luck, they will probably screw it up worse.

I noticed that it may have something to do with the seat extender function. If I extend the seat bottom farther out, I would feel something under my thigh which after a while becomes uncomfortable. I have found a sweet spot with the seat extender but now I don't get enough thigh support. Bottom line is the seat bottom is not completely smooth, seems like there are protruding plates or bars.
Old 12-01-10, 07:49 PM
Mullery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALeX300
I really don't get guys suffering for 3(!) years with uncomfortable seats. It seems to me that a $500(quote i got 3years ago to re-do my gs300 driver seat with 'tempurpedic' memory foam+new leather) solution is cheaper that taking a bath on the sale.

I test drove 08gs460 and 07ls460 last week. LS seat felt weird at first but after finding a sweet spot with extended bottom piece and lumbar support height i did not want to get out. Drove the LS for about 30mins so i know its not long enough to feel the real difference but i felt much more comfortable in LS than in GS. I'm about 6'1" and 190, skinny frame.
So the guys who are unbearably uncomfortable, how much do you weight/height?
Can you share with us which shop gave you this quote? I would love to take advantage of something like this.
Old 12-01-10, 11:24 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullery
Can you share with us which shop gave you this quote? I would love to take advantage of something like this.
it wasn't a shop. A guy did this on the side(a major "motoring" place used him to reupholster Benzes, Escalades). Sadly he moved, and his neighbors are mum about his whereabouts

But check your local auto reupholsters. Or cheap trick would just get the memory foam pad of some sort...thats if the discomfort is on the bottom. I honestly don't understand which part of LS seat is causing pain to some drivers.
Old 12-01-10, 11:36 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

actually did a quick google shopping search - there are plenty of pads anywhere from $20 to $170. I actually have a back cushion like this that i use on a work vehicle. Gotta check with my orthopedist what he thinks of this one...
Old 12-02-10, 11:19 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dormie
I see everyone complaining about the lower cushion being uncomfortable. And while I agree, my main complaint is the side bolsters are too narrow and basically cut into my back, creating a rather uncomfortable ride. I've been in a LOT of cars over the years, and this seat in an 86k lexus is more uncomfortable than every other car I've ever been in due to the side bolsters pinching me in. Anyone ever complained to Lexus about this aspect? It doesn't really bother me given it doesn't cause any "pain" like a lower back issue would, just annoying....
I agree! It is the left side bolster for me, the back of the seat is not wide enough for my taste. My LS430 seats were great and much solfter than my 460's, I find myself adjusting more than I would like.
Old 12-02-10, 12:01 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buy performing the seat cushion TSB (increase foam under the seat), does this impede airflow (seat cooling/warming) ?
Old 12-02-10, 12:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I agree! It is the left side bolster for me, the back of the seat is not wide enough for my taste. My LS430 seats were great and much solfter than my 460's, I find myself adjusting more than I would like.
I found myself constantly trying to find a comfortable position for a while. I still feel that it needs adjustment but not as much. I am a really big guy so I think the weight is forcing the cushion to the take the appropriate shape. It feels better than it did the first 2 weeks. My brother sat in the car to take a test drive and he noticed the seat weirdness before he even started the car. I am still very happy with the car. If there is anything I have learned from my GS is that when the dealership tries to fix things like dash boards or seats they will never go back like the factory had them. I am even debating on the wind noise fix because its not going to do much for the noise but will probably end up creating squeaks and rattles in the door.
Old 12-02-10, 08:37 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randomwalk
buy performing the seat cushion TSB (increase foam under the seat), does this impede airflow (seat cooling/warming) ?
I had the tsb done, no change in the airflow, cools and warms just fine.
Old 12-02-10, 08:42 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If there is anything I have learned from my GS is that when the dealership tries to fix things like dash boards or seats they will never go back like the factory had them. I am even debating on the wind noise fix because its not going to do much for the noise but will probably end up creating squeaks and rattles in the door.
I had the seat cushion tsb done, although the seat is a little more comfortable, the new leather is wrinkled and rough, it just does not look as finished and smooth as from the factory. Still debating on bringing it back to have it redone, but worry that they are going to mess it up more.
Old 12-02-10, 10:51 PM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
I had the seat cushion tsb done, although the seat is a little more comfortable, the new leather is wrinkled and rough, it just does not look as finished and smooth as from the factory. Still debating on bringing it back to have it redone, but worry that they are going to mess it up more.
Yes! It is a lot more rough. At first I asked the service adviser if they put the wrong leather in and not the semi-analine, he insists it is the correct parts. The passenger seat looks good (save for the rougher leather), but the driver seat has wrinkles that as of three weeks now still look exactly the same as the day they did it, despite dealer telling me it just needed time to unwrinkle...

what is up with the crappier leather? I need to go to the dealer and go sit in one in the show room and see if this is just the "new" leather or what.. they should at least replace the back so it matches, so i won't be constantly reminded of how soft the original leather was.
Old 12-02-10, 11:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I drove home from the office tonight and for some reason I felt like I couldn't get comfortable the entire way home. I did notice that the bolster on the right side of the base of the seat is higher than the left. Whats the deal with that??

Has anyone else noticed this asymmetry ?????????