LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 12:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure

Occasionally, but not often, we see reports of desperation trunk entries. Here is a plan that should help you if you find yourself in that dilemma.

If you are not able to open your trunk in the usual manner, by using the remote key or dash button or the button on the trunk lid, here is a way that will work, even if your trunk is jammed or the car battery is dead.

This does not depend on any of the car’s electronics. This procedure does not care if the car battery is dead or the remote-key battery is dead. It is a pure mechanical operation that uses the mechanical key and the mechanical latch that is in the trunk lid.

If you have ideas of reaching through the trunk extension door in the back seat, to the emergency release lever in the trunk, forget about that. The required reach to do that trick is 54” so just measure your arm and if it is too short (it will be), then move on to what follows.

The remote key (or electronic key) has a mechanical key stored in it.

You need to remove the mechanical key from the electronic key.

Insert the mechanical key into the slot on the trunk lid.

Operate the mechanical key and the trunk lid should pop up. To operate the key it must be turned about 35 degrees clockwise. The key may need to be operated forcefully so if you don’t have the hand strength to turn it then you will have to find someone with good hand strength to help you. A tool should not be used to turn the key as that might bend it or break it.

If you are unable to operate the key then you will need to apply some downward pressure to the trunk lid while you operate the key. The downward pressure required may be something like someone pushing down on the ridge on top of the trunk over the license plate with their full bodyweight while someone else turns the key. The downward pressure will very likely allow the key to be operated.

If the trunk doesn’t open when the key is turned then something, like a luggage strap, has probably been forced into the latch mechanism. The way to overcome this is to hold the key fully operated while someone lifts the trunk lid by grasping the lip over the license plate and pulling up.

I am confident that this will get you into the trunk without using a “Tire-tool Key” or making a trip to a Lexus dealership.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-16-10 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Typo correction
The following users liked this post:
tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 08-13-10, 02:14 PM
1LSsport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the well informative solution to this kind problem, it would surely save a lot of $$ rather than bringing it to a Lexus Dealership again thanks
Old 08-14-10, 05:06 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks from me also!

I did not ever think about this but will try the procedure this morning.
Old 10-08-10, 05:04 PM
etbrown4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A different emergency trunk opening procedure

Notwithstanding all the good comments above, my solution to a jammed truck release is entirely different and worked for me. (Each situation may be a little or a lot different)

I found that with a jammed latch, caused by having too much stuff in the trunk and forcing the trunk to close under pressure, the solution in my case was electronic.

I tried the mechanical spare trunk key until my hand could not take it any more. I was able to force the key to turn clockwise and the trunk and lock would pop, rising only may be 1/16", or so little you could barely tell it.

I found that pressing the dash trunk release or the button under the trunk lid would only sound the tone and nothing else. I reasoned that the electronics might be jammed and needed to be cleared.

Removed one battery cable under the hood, waited 30 sec, reconnected the battery, pressed the deck lid button and bingo, the trunk magically opened!

$1000 cost saved, and a week 400 mi. away from home, with all luggage in the trunk saved.

Why Lexus dealer did not know this trick, who knows?
Why the solution is not in the Lexus manual, who knows?

I'd say that it's either about the money (the typical $1000 service) or ignorance, and neither is acceptable to me.

I hope this helps many others, and shame, shame, shame, on Lexus.
tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 10-09-10, 07:28 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Perhaps they are students of the scientific method.
Old 05-25-11, 05:49 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by etbrown4
Notwithstanding all the good comments above, my solution to a jammed truck release is entirely different and worked for me. (Each situation may be a little or a lot different)

I found that with a jammed latch, caused by having too much stuff in the trunk and forcing the trunk to close under pressure, the solution in my case was electronic.

I tried the mechanical spare trunk key until my hand could not take it any more. I was able to force the key to turn clockwise and the trunk and lock would pop, rising only may be 1/16", or so little you could barely tell it.

I found that pressing the dash trunk release or the button under the trunk lid would only sound the tone and nothing else. I reasoned that the electronics might be jammed and needed to be cleared.

Removed one battery cable under the hood, waited 30 sec, reconnected the battery, pressed the deck lid button and bingo, the trunk magically opened!

$1000 cost saved, and a week 400 mi. away from home, with all luggage in the trunk saved.

I'd say that it's either about the money (the typical $1000 service) or ignorance, and neither is acceptable to me.

As pertains to a LS600h which I own. I haven't even looked at the battery but I believe on the LS600h, the battery is in the trunk. So that means your method although smart, will not work on the LS600h. I pray to God this never happens to us.
Old 09-10-13, 07:01 PM
LSMyFriend
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etbrown4

I'm so glad I found your post. I was having this problem today and I tried everything (almost) for two hours. From a bunch of guys pulling on the trunk while pressing the deck lid button. In my case it was one of the kids jerseys stuck in there. I even went through the back seat and tried to pull it out while other tried pulling on the trunk and nothing.

I seen other post of people having to pay $1,000 after breaking the latch and it was something I was going to do in the morning. Thanks to you I have my trunk open and I don't have to get a new latch.
tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 09-11-13, 09:53 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just goes to show - Search is your friend!

cschmatz (04-24-20)
Old 12-30-13, 07:59 AM
sps2mf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas Surprise

Just wanted to say that this post saved me over the holidays. On Christmas eve after loading the trunk with all of our families' gifts I noticed the display read "Truck Open". As you can imagine I was fuming as we were on our way to our first XMas party in my "new" LS and I already had a problem. I ended up having to remove the battery for 30 seconds as described above and it worked like a charm first try. Turned out it was the strap of our diaper bag that was the culprit....

Thanks for all of the help and for your comments as they saved (and saved Santa ).

SPS
Old 12-30-13, 09:24 PM
sheff442
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem xmas eve after traveling north to South Dakota to visit family. luckily I was able to open as described here, just out of lock, like opening a tight door with a dead bolt. I have ordered the controller mounted on the driver side rear of the trunk for 540 from lexus of south Atlanta online.
Old 12-31-13, 05:14 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by sheff442
I had the same problem xmas eve after traveling north to South Dakota to visit family. luckily I was able to open as described here, just out of lock, like opening a tight door with a dead bolt. I have ordered the controller mounted on the driver side rear of the trunk for 540 from lexus of south Atlanta online.
Before you replace the controller you should check the state of the switch that disables the trunk operation for purposes of valet parking. It is possible that one of your passengers, on that long ride to the "cold northland," has inadvertently disable your trunk and made it impossible to open except with the valet key (that little mechanical key that is hidden in your electronic key).

Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-not-open.html
Old 12-31-13, 09:05 AM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I left my iPhone with heavy duty case on my bumper near latch. I did the automatic trunk close and drove away. I got home in 5 minutes and was wondering why the open door light was on in the dashboard. My iPhone was stuck in there real good.

I tried using the remote button to open the trunk and nothing. I tried the trunk release button on the left side of the steering wheel and nothing.

I tried using a screwdriver and pliers to pull out the iPhone and nothing.

I tried the mechanical key in trunk and I even got pliers to help me turn it, but it wouldn't open. I tried turning mechanical key while my 18-yo son lifted the trunk, but didnt work. I tried reaching the manual lever inside the trunk using a broom stick through the rear seats opening, but the trunk would not release.

The only thing that worked was disconnecting the car battery, waiting a minute, reconnecting the battery, pressing the trunk release button on the key transmitter, and the trunk opens!
Old 12-31-13, 12:52 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Added this thread to the FAQ sticky under 'Body' for future easy to find when needed.
DavidinCT (09-12-20)
Old 12-31-13, 02:39 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by LexusManny
I left my iPhone with heavy duty case on my bumper near latch. I did the automatic trunk close and drove away. I got home in 5 minutes and was wondering why the open door light was on in the dashboard. My iPhone was stuck in there real good.

I tried using the remote button to open the trunk and nothing. I tried the trunk release button on the left side of the steering wheel and nothing.

I tried using a screwdriver and pliers to pull out the iPhone and nothing.

I tried the mechanical key in trunk and I even got pliers to help me turn it, but it wouldn't open. I tried turning mechanical key while my 18-yo son lifted the trunk, but didnt work. I tried reaching the manual lever inside the trunk using a broom stick through the rear seats opening, but the trunk would not release.

The only thing that worked was disconnecting the car battery, waiting a minute, reconnecting the battery, pressing the trunk release button on the key transmitter, and the trunk opens!
Thank you for sharing your interesting saga with us. And congratulations on your successful resolution. I haven't seen any reports of anything like this before.

Disconnecting the battery seems to work in many situations but if you find yourself without the tools to disconnect the battery or a dead battery then the other method will probably work if you pay close attention to the instructions. It is important to remember that you will not get the trunk open unless you can turn the key. If you are unable to turn the key, you need to push DOWN on the trunk while you are trying to turn the key, maybe even sit on the trunk or two people sit on the trunk. I know that it is counterintuitive but that will relieve the stress enough for the key to be turned in most situations. Once you are able to turn the key then you may have to lift on the trunk to get it open.

I think many readers will want to know if your phone still works?

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-12-19 at 02:54 PM.
tomgarv (03-04-24)
Old 01-06-14, 07:42 PM
sheff442
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default works fine

Update to my trunk issue. I took the car into Toyota since I was on vacation for a VSC light and O2 sensor codes, after they read the codes and said that the Lexus dealer would have to replace the O2 sensor since I was traveling. I noticed the day later the trunk is now operating normally. So I canceled the part for now. I need to get the oil leak on the fuel pumps in the valve cover fixed and then replace the O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 now. If not one its another.

Quick Reply: Emergency Trunk Opening Procedure