LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:26 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this apply to the 600hl's also?
Old 11-02-11, 09:57 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The latest progress report, quarterly report #5, for the Valve Spring Recall has recently been posted on the NHTSA site. For the quarter ended 30 Sep 2011, 120,638 vehicles out of 138,874 (recalled in the US) have been "inspected and repaired."
Old 11-02-11, 10:01 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by LXurious
Does this apply to the 600hl's also?
If your LS600hL is a 2008 model then the Valve Spring Recall might apply. Check here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...0V309-8305.pdf
Old 11-15-11, 06:03 PM
darbar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just leasrned mine were replaced

I ran a vin check and learned my car had the springs replaced. Wish the selling dealership had informed me of this before Ibought it. I realize this is invasive surgery but haven't noticed a thing wrong so far.
Old 11-15-11, 08:20 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darbar
I ran a vin check and learned my car had the springs replaced. Wish the selling dealership had informed me of this before Ibought it. I realize this is invasive surgery but haven't noticed a thing wrong so far.
The dealer had to do all recalls before they can sell the car as CPO. They are obligated by the Lexus.
Old 11-16-11, 04:57 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darbar
Why, would it had mattered? If it hadn't been completed, would you have not of had it done? Would you had not have purchased an LS?
Old 12-11-11, 10:04 PM
autox250
Driver

Valve springs invasive?? Even though it seems like theres no room in that engine bay, its a straight fwd repair... Its crazy to think the car is less reliable because it was repaired with updated components. Its a matter of perspective, you dont know whats involved in doing the SSC so you think it'll forever lower the quality of the product
Old 12-12-11, 01:07 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
The dealer had to do all recalls before they can sell the car as CPO. They are obligated by the Lexus.
I guess I am stumped (perplexed ? Love those 25 cent words !) by some of the paranoia expressed. Our Wondeful LS runs like a new car - and JM Lexus DID perform the recall before we purchased the LS. Personally from what I had read previously, we are HAPPY this work was performed. And I congratulate Toyota for taking this stand.
My 1 cents worth.

And as always .......... A MERRY CHRISTMAS to all !
Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-08-12, 02:11 PM
jmcraney

The latest progress report, quarterly report #6, for the Valve Spring Recall has recently been posted on the NHTSA site. For the quarter ended 31Dec 2011, 122,405 vehicles out of 138,874 (recalled in the US) have been "inspected and repaired."
Old 09-21-12, 04:29 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Mine is one of the 16,469 that haven't been done. I can't even take a car in for a yearly inspection without having some kind of issue. I don't like my car getting serviced unless necessary. I do all my own fluid changes for this reason. The VSR job is fairly invasive, and I think it would be almost impossible to complete without them scratching or marking the finish on my car. Since they are willing to fix it without a time limit, I will just wait until the valve spring breaks because it won't cause any additional damage if I wait. I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do, but I am in no rush to get it fixed.
Old 09-21-12, 04:48 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by up4speed
Mine is one of the 16,469 that haven't been done. I can't even take a car in for a yearly inspection without having some kind of issue. I don't like my car getting serviced unless necessary. I do all my own fluid changes for this reason. The VSR job is fairly invasive, and I think it would be almost impossible to complete without them scratching or marking the finish on my car. Since they are willing to fix it without a time limit, I will just wait until the valve spring breaks because it won't cause any additional damage if I wait. I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do, but I am in no rush to get it fixed.
If a valve spring shatters while you're driving, not only your engine will start making some really weird noises, but the valve(s) themselves will slap against piston heads and simply destroy your engine. Go have this recall done asap - the Lexus technicians are highly skilled and trained, you're not dealing with your jetta or chevy dealer here.

I had mine done as soon as I got the notice, and when I got my car back I didn't notice anything different. Just the way it should be.
Old 09-23-12, 12:04 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I was nervous about having mine done as well, but I did have it done and I'm glad I did. Had the ECU firmware upgraded too and a free tank of gas. Some have gotten a $500 gift card to spend on anything else at the dealership (maintenance, accessories, ect.). Since the dealership is paid so much for this work by Lexus Corporate, the dealer also did a free upgrade on my Navi Maps ($300 value).
As I understand it, this warranty repair is only valid till 100k miles or six years, which ever comes first.
Old 09-24-12, 12:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

There were a lot of threads here when this was going on and I don't recall anyone having trouble with the job not being done properly or any damage to the vehicle. I am fussy like you and the only thing I did was wait awhile until the techs had a few done under their belt. And thanks to the info on this forum, I waited until I was due for an oil and filter change and I brought it in on an empty tank. Plus I still have about $250 left on my complimentary $500 credit.

This does bring up an interesting question. At what point does Lexus say, "Hey you had 2 years (or 3 years, or whatever point they darw the line) and you didn't bring the car in. Now a valve dropped into the chamber and you blew a piston and you've turned a $2000 repair into a $10,000 repair, go fish".
Old 09-26-12, 02:02 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
There were a lot of threads here when this was going on and I don't recall anyone having trouble with the job not being done properly or any damage to the vehicle. I am fussy like you and the only thing I did was wait awhile until the techs had a few done under their belt. And thanks to the info on this forum, I waited until I was due for an oil and filter change and I brought it in on an empty tank. Plus I still have about $250 left on my complimentary $500 credit.

This does bring up an interesting question. At what point does Lexus say, "Hey you had 2 years (or 3 years, or whatever point they darw the line) and you didn't bring the car in. Now a valve dropped into the chamber and you blew a piston and you've turned a $2000 repair into a $10,000 repair, go fish".
From the research that I've done, it seems that the worst that can happen is that it will get noisy, then I can get it fixed. If you think about it, when the spring breaks, it doesn't disintegrate and vanish. If it gets so bad that it actually breaks breaks, it will break into two pieces, you will have two smaller springs still working together. I'm sure there will be a lot more slop and noise, but I don't think that the valve will hit the piston or anything like that. From the research that I've done, it seems that the worst thing that may happen is that the engine will run very rough and possibly stall. The reason that there was even a safety recall is because of the minute chance that the car can stall and cause an unsafe condition. This was actually admittedto me in so many words from Lexus warranty division directly. In other words if there was no risk of stalling, they would wait for the springs to fail, and fix them on a case by case basis. There would not be a recall for it. I also confirmed that since it's a safety recall, there is no time limit on it. I can take it in whenever I want and won't have to pay for it. Like I said after doing the research I realized that only 1 in 500 cars were affected by this, so I'll take my chances for now.
If there are any techs on this board that know this specific engine, I would love to hear if you think I am accurate with my research, or if I am wrong, and should be getting it done? Is there actually a risk of additional damage (other than the spring itself) if I leave it and wait to see if my car is one that is affected by the problem?
thanks in advance
Old 09-29-12, 02:40 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't read through this entire thread so perhaps it's already been stated, but how do I determine if my car has had this recall performed?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement