LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 10:50 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
At last, mine is valve-spring-fear free .

Got the car back after spending 7 days at the dealership. Here is what I noticed firsthand:

- The car runs and idles quieter (I can't hear the so-called DS4 direct injection tick tick tick noise anymore).
- The rpm doesn't fall to 500 at traffic lights. It stays at 650 or so.
- The car's response is great (could be the dealer's GX460 loaner's response wasn't as good).
- Finally, the secret menu's EMVN's error codes are now gone (I had a feeling they had something to do with the engine and was worried about them).

The GX460 sucks big time. It's a Prado with leathered seats and few more buttons. Wouldn't invest in it.
The throttle response on my GX is every bit as good as the VSR'd LS. Power wise is a different story. I think my previous GX470 at 235 HP was almost as fast as the GX460.
Old 01-29-11, 12:12 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey - how do you get to that menu again? I thought it was menu - volume - press top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left etc. I got in there once before, now I can't get it to work.
Old 01-29-11, 01:48 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marky2mark
hey - how do you get to that menu again? I thought it was menu - volume - press top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left etc. I got in there once before, now I can't get it to work.

Go to Display, press top left, bottom left, up left, bottom left.

It should work.
Old 01-29-11, 03:10 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Display, press top left, bottom left, up left, bottom left.

It should work.
got it...thx
Old 01-29-11, 05:00 PM
june
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had their VSR done at Lexus of Glendale? I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback. I bought my 2007 LS460 new from them and since they are a high volume dealer, I was thinking they should have done more VSR them most dealers. Do they have a good reputation?

Marty
Old 01-29-11, 05:58 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have seen the menu.
What does EMVN stand for?
Old 01-29-11, 08:23 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
I have seen the menu.
What does EMVN stand for?
Electro Multi-Vision with Navigation (the nav screen I think).

To get out of the hidden menu, press DISP button for 10 seconds. You don't need to turn off/on the car if you don't want to.

Last edited by JFNash; 01-29-11 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-30-11, 01:00 PM
jc3103
Rookie

Is an oil change included with the VSR? I can't believe they would do all of that without changing the oil.
Old 01-30-11, 01:16 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NO

All of the work is on top and doesn't effect the oil at all.

Topping off your tank of fuel is included.
Old 02-07-11, 01:54 PM
juanh
Driver School Candidate

I've been driving my car for a few days now since it got the ALE recall performed at Magnussen's Lexus in Fremont, CA. The one thing that I noticed immediately is that it has much more power than before! Before, the car accelerated very smoothly and didn't really seem to have much power, unless you really floored it. Now, you just touch the accelerator, and you could feel the power right away, kind of the way a V8 should feel! Is this normal, expected?

I hope that this won't translate into less mpg's as it's now only averaging around 17MPG since the last fuel fill-up, but I've only driven it probably less than 100 miles. Anyone getting lower mpg's after the recall was performed?

A few other good things that came with the ALE service was a full tank of gas, and a free safety inspection.
Old 02-07-11, 02:02 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by juanh
I've been driving my car for a few days now since it got the ALE recall performed at Magnussen's Lexus in Fremont, CA. The one thing that I noticed immediately is that it has much more power than before! Before, the car accelerated very smoothly and didn't really seem to have much power, unless you really floored it. Now, you just touch the accelerator, and you could feel the power right away, kind of the way a V8 should feel! Is this normal, expected?

I hope that this won't translate into less mpg's as it's now only averaging around 17MPG since the last fuel fill-up, but I've only driven it probably less than 100 miles. Anyone getting lower mpg's after the recall was performed?

A few other good things that came with the ALE service was a full tank of gas, and a free safety inspection.

I also had mine done at Magnussen. The computer has to relearn how you drive, you're not getting any more power than before. My mileage was low for the first half tank or so then it went back up to its normal 21-22 MPG for combined driving.
Old 02-07-11, 02:24 PM
june
Rookie

pibob/yipster222/jstalex or anyone in Southern California area,

Does anyone have any recommendation for VSR in the Los Angeles area. I bought my 2007 LS460 new from Lexus of Glendale. Has anyone had any experience with their VSR from Lexus of Glendale? I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback. Do they have a good reputation?

Marty

Last edited by june; 02-07-11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 06:47 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had mine done at Lexus of Brookfield last Monday. I scheduled it for Tuesday but because of the weather I brought it in on Monday. It was done on Tuesday and they let me keep their RX450H until Thursday because of the weather. They didn't top off my tank though. It was at 3/4 when I bought it in/picked it up. They also turned off my DRL's for me
Old 02-08-11, 12:58 PM
juanh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I also had mine done at Magnussen. The computer has to relearn how you drive, you're not getting any more power than before. My mileage was low for the first half tank or so then it went back up to its normal 21-22 MPG for combined driving.
The car definitely feels more powerful since the recall service was performed and hopefully, this won't be a temporary thing as the computer relearns my driving habits, like you stated.

Does anyone else feel like their car has more power after getting the ALE recall performed?
Old 02-08-11, 06:17 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by juanh
The car definitely feels more powerful since the recall service was performed and hopefully, this won't be a temporary thing as the computer relearns my driving habits, like you stated.

Does anyone else feel like their car has more power after getting the ALE recall performed?
You will not get a power increase from swapping out the valve springs. Like said before the ECM is re-learning your driving habits.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement