LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 09:13 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally got my car back after 9 days at Westminster Lexus, CA. I also had the driver seat cover and cushion replaced (L-SB-0071-09). The seat is much more comfortable, but the leather is rougher. Anyways, the engine runs pretty much the same. It does not idle faster, and not noticeably quieter like others have noticed. I thought the engine was pretty quiet to begin with. So far so good. They didn't fill up my gas tank like everyone. I'm going to e-mail the service manager to inquire.
Old 11-10-10, 11:17 PM
superLS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my letter yesterday, going to call them tomorrow to make an appointment. lets see what happens.
Old 11-11-10, 11:28 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

BEWARE!!
One month ago I had the recall for my 08 LS 460 completed on this vehicle that I enjoyed as a lease for three years. A few days later I had to drive the vehicle 1500 miles each way with my three children to visit my ailing 90 year old Grandmother. Late the first day the vehicle started hesitating, couldn't accelerate past 60 mph or it would not go any faster. loud noise from engine, without panel notification. When I arrived at my destination I immediately brought it to a Lexus dealer and was told " the recall parts were defective and we have to replace the left lifter that's bleeding." They had the car for three days. When I returned to pick it up I was told " the previous Lexus dealership broke your radiator overflow tab and superglued it so we reinforced with superglue/epoxy but you will need a new radiator when you return home. In SHOCK I stated " A 72 K Lexus superglued?? That's unacceptable and I will complain with an investigation. Will my children and I be safe traveling back 1500 miles?" I was assured "Yes".

Needless to say the second day while I was driving on the highway where there was construction and no breakdown lane the engine overheated, panel warnings on, smoke. We jumped out of the vehicle called Lexus immediately and when we lifted the hood antifreeze was all over the engine and the hose was broken sticking up in the air. We were stranded for three hours and the vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership 50 miles where it still sits after 3 weeks and I'm still responsible for this lease that expired 2 weeks ago without any vehicle. I'm VERY thankful my children and I are safe from this ordeal. I wanted everyone to be aware of these very dangerous repairs, incompetence, negligence without compensation except for a $1500 credit for lease/purchase that was issued regarding the initial recall, NOT the ordeal my family went through, and continue to go through without resolve.
Old 11-11-10, 12:04 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccardan
BEWARE!!
It begs the question ....... Who & where are the dealerships involved ?
Old 11-11-10, 12:11 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
It just doesn't sound kosher. I call it BS until evidence is provided. I'm not aware of any Lexus dealership, even in OK, that would send a customer away with super glued radiator.
Old 11-11-10, 12:20 PM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

It's not BS on my part. All the dealerships OK, MA, MO (where it is now) have been accomodating. The finger pointing is evident, I probably will never find out the whole truth but wanted to warn owners as these vehicles will have power failure without warning, catch on fire from over heating, etc.
Old 11-11-10, 03:46 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Got my letter last week, called my dealer today - earliest appointment is December 9th.

Service advisor said it is a 2 day job. I hope I have no issues between now & then.
Old 11-12-10, 09:16 AM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
I finally got my car back after 9 days at Westminster Lexus, CA. I also had the driver seat cover and cushion replaced (L-SB-0071-09). The seat is much more comfortable, but the leather is rougher. Anyways, the engine runs pretty much the same. It does not idle faster, and not noticeably quieter like others have noticed. I thought the engine was pretty quiet to begin with. So far so good. They didn't fill up my gas tank like everyone. I'm going to e-mail the service manager to inquire.
Did the replacement of the cushion and cover make the SEAT COOLER more effective? If you don't mind letting us know the PRICE? My passanger seat works better than the driver. My theory is after all the miles in the driver seat the cushioning begins to warp/adjust to my shape from stock and the small air pathways get manipulated slightly which in turn makes the air less able to flow freely. Just my 2 cents. Im not an engineer but i love Legos!

BTW to stay on topic; I have my appt scheduled for DEC 6th at Longo Lexus. I dont want to be without my car for the weekend so I scheduled it for a monday. Lastly, whats that "Acceleration Hesitation Re-programming" issue, I get that when my car is in about 2nd or 3rd and floor the gas.. i think its the brief gear change that feels like i go from no power to 380 ponies kickin. When I setup the appt they did not have a clue what I was talking about.
Old 11-12-10, 09:50 AM
VA380
Rookie

"ccardan" ... wow, I can only imagine how pissed you were being stranded, especially with kids.

With that being said, the 2nd day my car was in the shop for the recall, my dealership called me and told me that my radiator cap had a crack in it. They said they didn't know how this could have happened but directly told me the last lexus dealership must have done it. Keep in mind, I bought it CPO from Nalley Lexus down in GA ...

Anyway, of course they had to order that part so it took a solid 2 weeks to get here. All is good now though, but it's a little eerie that it happened to someone else. Hmm......
Old 11-12-10, 11:27 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve Spring

Sounds familiar. I was told from the 3rd dealership that the overflow tab can be easily broken with this recall. I believe that because the only correction is to replace the entire radiator, techs glue, instead of disclosing because parts are not availiable, cost, labor which compromises safety for all of us.

My husband is enraged that this occured, and distraught how callus Lexus is regarding customers safety.
Old 11-12-10, 06:17 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Originally Posted by VA380
"ccardan" ... wow, I can only imagine how pissed you were being stranded, especially with kids.

With that being said, the 2nd day my car was in the shop for the recall, my dealership called me and told me that my radiator cap had a crack in it. They said they didn't know how this could have happened but directly told me the last lexus dealership must have done it. Keep in mind, I bought it CPO from Nalley Lexus down in GA ...

Anyway, of course they had to order that part so it took a solid 2 weeks to get here. All is good now though, but it's a little eerie that it happened to someone else. Hmm......
VA380,

Which Nalley Lexus? The one in Roswell or the Galleria Lexus? I'd like to know before I take mine in. Thanks.

Greg
Old 11-12-10, 09:04 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyRC51
Did the replacement of the cushion and cover make the SEAT COOLER more effective? If you don't mind letting us know the PRICE? My passanger seat works better than the driver. My theory is after all the miles in the driver seat the cushioning begins to warp/adjust to my shape from stock and the small air pathways get manipulated slightly which in turn makes the air less able to flow freely. Just my 2 cents. Im not an engineer but i love Legos!
Sorry to go off topic; to answer, I did not notice any change in seat cooling, hardly use it anyways. The cushion were changed because of discomfort, and there is a service bulletin (L-SB-0071-09), so it was done free. Regarding VSR, so far the engine is performing flawlessly.
Old 11-15-10, 10:44 AM
zxc1
Driver School Candidate

I got my 2008 LS back after the vave work yesterday. While the car runs fine, the MPG shown is much lower than before .It used to be around 18 miles per g or more before the work. Now it is just around 14 to 15 miles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-10, 12:04 PM
08ls460l
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zxc1
I got my 2008 LS back after the vave work yesterday. While the car runs fine, the MPG shown is much lower than before .It used to be around 18 miles per g or more before the work. Now it is just around 14 to 15 miles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
One thing to check is your RPM. If your engine RPM is more than about 700 rpm in park or at stop, you need to take your car back to the dealer for a recheck.
Old 11-15-10, 01:18 PM
gb403
Rookie

Question, Why would the gas mileage drop after the fix has been completed. I haven't driven mine enough to notice any drop. How about everyone else who has had the work done, did your mileage drop?

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement