LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 10:07 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please email me the pics you have TexasTex. Grat info!

Mackadi805@yahoo.com
Old 10-15-10, 07:04 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys,

Figured how to post pics below. This is as large as the forum would allow so hope you can see what you wanted.

Last edited by TexasTex; 10-15-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 08:13 AM
jc3103
Rookie

So, now that some have had the recall done, what is the opinion on how it will effect the resale value of our cars?
Old 10-15-10, 08:45 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-lexus-ls460-valves-1-.jpg Cams removed (sitting on top of engine). Note white zip tie holding variable cam timing gears in place at front of the engine.

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-lexus-ls460-valves-2-.jpg Air hoses in front & back cylinders to keep valves in closed position before removing spring retainers. Note red paint markings on chain drives.

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-lexus-ls460-valves-3-.jpg Closer look. Air hoses now in center two cylinders. The small protrusions at the bottom of the head that line up with each valve spring are the hydraulic stabilizers that also get replaced. They are what keeps the valve lash constant and the engine valves quiet. For those totally unfamiliar with an engine, the things that look like springs that are under the round looking washers are the valve spring and are what are being replaced - 4 per cylinder (2 intake, 2 exhaust), 16 per bank (side), 32 total.

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-lexus-ls460-valves-4-.jpg These are the valve actuators and the round caps sit over each valve stem. They are suprisingly small compared to the old American engines. They sit under the cam. The cam rolls over the center of these, they in turn depress the valves. Note how they are grouped together the way they came off so that they can go back on their original valve stem and cam lobe (due to potential wear patterns) - its the details!

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement-lexus-ls460-valves-5-.jpg Cams back in place and torqued down. Look close and you can see the valve actuators under the cam lobes. In case you are still wondering, those 4 big "tubes" in the center of the head protrude through the valve covers and provide access to the spark plugs. They are covered by individual black coil boxes when everything is back in place. A set of wires are attached to each coil box which goes to the computer which sequentially fires each spark plug.

All thats left is to reinstall the variable timing gears onto the front of the cams, re-install the valve covers, hoses, wiring, etc. Repeat on the other bank.

Last edited by TexasTex; 10-15-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 09:01 AM
TexasTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jc3103
So, now that some have had the recall done, what is the opinion on how it will effect the resale value of our cars?
My opinion and my mechanic's is that this is no big deal and will have $0 impact on value.

He claims that these engines are very modular in design, easy to repair and unfortunately are taken apart regularly for all kinds of reasons now a days with no issues. The good/bad news is that your mechanic will know very quickly whether he did a good repair or not

Doubt anyone will even remember this by spring time.
Old 10-15-10, 11:27 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks again for the info Texas.

Welcome to the club!
Old 10-15-10, 12:11 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I was making an appt for an oil change just now and my dealer told me to drop my car off tomorrow so they will be doing the VSR on Mon. I said ok and called my tech to ask how things were going, he said they have four master techs working uninterrupted doing the VSR only! He said he will make sure the right guys get mine, reassuring I guess but I would hope all four are the right guys. They have done all of the CPO's along with a lot of customer cars. I will let you know how things work out when I get the car back.
Old 10-15-10, 09:30 PM
JKN2000
Driver

I just set my appointment for next week. They offered extended 100k warranty on mine. So hope it goes ok for the fix.
Old 10-15-10, 11:57 PM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

i'm planning on making an appt for the vsr done. anyone here from so cali that already has their done and which dealership did you go to... any good recommended dealers in so cali that has good master tech ?
Old 10-18-10, 11:20 AM
Tee

I just got the call to come p/u my car, I will get after I leave work & will post my thoughts later tonight.
Old 10-18-10, 02:03 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JKN2000
I just set my appointment for next week. They offered extended 100k warranty on mine. So hope it goes ok for the fix.
They offered you 100K warranty? For a cost or free for the hassle? I haven't heard anything yet, I guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 10-18-10, 02:38 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I received my valve spring recall letter in the mail today...

I've already had the recall done. Someone was asking if anyone has received the letter in the mail.
Old 10-18-10, 05:44 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by Craig B
I received my valve spring recall letter in the mail today...

I've already had the recall done. Someone was asking if anyone has received the letter in the mail.
That was me asking and I have not received mine yet either, maybe when I get home it will be there. I have my car back so it runs little smoother & I have say quieter too. I'm positive it is not the placebo effect, all in all I'm happy!

Last edited by Tee; 10-19-10 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-18-10, 08:09 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Default Recall letter..

Ditto on the letter; just got it today in S. Fla. Did the recall work a week ago. So far the car runs just as before... Wonderfully!

Will post if I get any notification of an extended powertrain warranty or something else....
Old 10-18-10, 09:21 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

emailed my SA today to see how things were going and to inquire about the service. He told me that they had 6 full time master techs working on this only at Crown in Ontario, CA. So far its been very smooth with everyone happy. I asked if he would put me in line and he said sure.. how about Dec 1 as that is the first available appointment. This is all by word of mouth as only a few of the people in line received letters. I guess some of the reservations are coming down and people are starting to get this procedure out of the way. I expected him to say how about next week, but there is a 6 week waiting list to get it done at just this dealership.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement