LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 07:17 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

There are only TWO guarantees, and a perfect Lexus repair isn't one. But does come close. There are way bigger things to worry about. And while my 09 is affected, my fathers 08 in Florida is. And don't forget the power trains are warranted for 6 years so you'll have time after to be sure. And on some outside chance that there are problems, the trial lawyers will hold Toyotas feet to the fire. Mercedes probably would have hardballed this. Again, get the fix and move on. It'll be fine!
Old 07-06-10, 08:22 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I would be willing to forego the fix if Lexus would warrant the springs for the life of the car.
Old 07-06-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
WOW, I just opened up my twitter account and looked at some local and national news and all I see is that Toyota knew about this problem about 2 years ago. Im supposed to be picking up my 07 in a couple of days. Should I be concerned at all about his recall and just take my time taking the car in or tell the dealer that Im dealing with to handle it before I take delivery of the car?
imho another piece of information blown apart big by media. toyota learned about the problem 2 yrs ago but at the time they didn't expect any problems. they did change out the springs. now they hear more complaints so they decide to do a recall, period. i don't see one thing to worry about at all. if you are worried, tell the dealership to do the recall before taking delivery, and you want proof on the computer that it's done

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Easy for you to say since you are not affected... Can you guarantee that they'll fix it perfectly?

This is not a good situation for Lexus or any potential resale.

I will however probably wait for at least a year until the hysteria dies down and the tech's garner LOTS of experience.
i own one of the affected cars so i guess i can say something? i don't see the big deal at all, i am not worried, i am not frustrated, i am not even thinking much about it. it's not like my car will explode, all i need to do is to bring it in. resale? to be honest i doubt it will affect resale in the long term. if you sell it now, yeah maybe. long term? doubtful.

no one can guarantee anything, but companies can only try to do their best, if that's what you believe. if you look for something that's perfect, i guess you will never be driving a car
Old 07-06-10, 09:20 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They will have to drop the engine out of the vehicle. They won't have to remove the heads, just swap out the valve springs. It's about a two day job is what I've been told. I'm not real happy about having this done. They will also change the oil and filter. It's a two man job to drop the engine out of the vehicle.
Old 07-06-10, 11:11 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, I guess I received some good news today. The dealer which im getting the car from called and told me about the recall. They said that they will be taking the car in and getting it all done. Im by no means upset because I do own another 2 cars and a bike so transportation is the least of my worries and from what I keep hearing about the LS, Im definetely not afraid because of some spring replacements. Maybe while theyre in there, they'll give it a full tune up and oil change. :-)
Old 07-06-10, 03:01 PM
kalbert24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's the lastest from the NHTSA.gov site.

it's Toyota's official DIR to the NTHSA (Defect Information Report). It has the VINs involved in this recall.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V309-8305.pdf
Old 07-06-10, 03:38 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B
It's located inside the drivers side door on the jam...
Right you are, I was looking on the jamb with the other stickers. Found it later down below facing outwards.

T'anks

Whit
Old 07-06-10, 03:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

good info, thanks!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-10, 03:51 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Right you are, I was looking on the jamb with the other stickers. Found it later down below facing outwards.

T'anks

Whit
You're welcome...
Old 07-06-10, 03:54 PM
Craig B

I spoke with Lexus today. My vehicle is part of the recall. Lexus is going to increase the powertrain warranty to 7yrs/100,000 miles after the valve springs are replaced. They're also going to offer a 1500.00 discount towards a new Lexus vehicle purchase in the future. They weren't sure when the dealers would receive the parts for the recall. I might find out more tomorrow when and if they call me back.
Old 07-06-10, 04:01 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you serious...drop the engine for the fix wow. Well no rush since my car runs perfect hence I will wait a while to get mine fixed

They will have to drop the engine out of the vehicle. They won't have to remove the heads, just swap out the valve springs. It's about a two day job is what I've been told. I'm not real happy about having this done. They will also change the oil and filter. It's a two man job to drop the engine out of the vehicle.
Old 07-06-10, 05:47 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
Are you serious...drop the engine for the fix wow. Well no rush since my car runs perfect hence I will wait a while to get mine fixed
Yes, they will drop it from below. There isn't enough room in the engine bay to do it in the vehicle. They won't have to remove the heads, just change out the valve springs.
Old 07-06-10, 05:53 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I talked to my tech today he said that it is a PITA to do the job but no big deal just time consuming, he also said they have been replacing the valve springs in IS 350's more so at his location than the others on the list.

Do 2nd hand owners who bought their cars from Lexus dealers get a letter or just the original owner?
Old 07-06-10, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I spoke with Lexus today. My vehicle is part of the recall. Lexus is going to increase the powertrain warranty to 7yrs/100,000 miles after the valve springs are replaced. They're also going to offer a 1500.00 discount towards a new Lexus vehicle purchase in the future. They weren't sure when the dealers would receive the parts for the recall. I might find out more tomorrow when and if they call me back.
is the power train warranty increase on all cars affected? and the 1500 discount, is that just from your dealership or for all owners? never heard about this before. the discount would be nice, been thinking about another lexus

Originally Posted by Tee
I talked to my tech today he said that it is a PITA to do the job but no big deal just time consuming, he also said they have been replacing the valve springs in IS 350's more so at his location than the others on the list.

Do 2nd hand owners who bought their cars from Lexus dealers get a letter or just the original owner?
it depends on whether lexus has the new owner on record. if the record is known and changed, then yeah. but after i got rid of my ls460, i did received a few more mails
Old 07-06-10, 06:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

as long as the tech is Lexus certified I am sure the work will be fine. My dealership did some work to the motor on my 3GS and I have had no issues

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement