LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-161319.aspx

Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification.
or just wait for the letter.
Old 07-03-10, 07:44 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty small number of potential clients at risk, it will be interesting to see how large the pool is of 07 and 08 owners that receive a recall

Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected
Old 07-03-10, 08:45 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %).
Interesting. The percentage they provided in their estimation doesn't necessarily reflect the likelihood of any specific client getting affected by the issue.

We all know that there is a concern that a certain production batch (i.e. late 07 - early 08) is more likely to be affected. Their statement says that some 07 & 08 cars were affected by the problem, but which production group is more likely to be affected? They aren't telling us. They might have included all the Lexus & Toyota cars produced in the period 06 - 08 in their pool which adds to the inaccuracy of the number they are giving us.

Bottom line is that we need hard facts. We want VIN ranges, Lexus. Hope you are listening.

The news is very frustrating and their slow response has added to the worries.
Old 07-03-10, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

slow response? the news came out on thurs and friday they say letters going out next week, that's slow?

i can definitely understand why they are not just saying which vin are affected and do letters instead. given how much people like to panic, if they post too much information online, they are just going to get even more questions in return

Last edited by rominl; 07-03-10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 10:09 AM
mjw1964
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They seem responsive to me. I concede that I want to know everything right now, but that's not a reasonable expectation all the time.
Old 07-03-10, 12:07 PM
Junk
Rookie

Everybody blames toyota for all there recalls. Nothing is ever said about the outside source that makes the parts for them. Did toyota make the valve springs or was it sourced outside the company? Just like the gas pedals, the failed ones were not made by toyota. I still would drive any of my toyota products anywhere and not worry about failures. Stuff happens.
Old 07-03-10, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Junk
Everybody blames toyota for all there recalls. Nothing is ever said about the outside source that makes the parts for them. Did toyota make the valve springs or was it sourced outside the company? Just like the gas pedals, the failed ones were not made by toyota. I still would drive any of my toyota products anywhere and not worry about failures. Stuff happens.
i am sorry but that doesn't make toyota look any better. they spec'd the parts, they signed off on the parts, they bought the parts. of course they are responsible. i have mentioned in the other thread. if you go to mcdonald's and get a bad burger, do you talk to them about the patty, or do you call up the meat company that supplies it?

whether toyota make it in-house or not, it's their problem. they have everything to do with it
Old 07-03-10, 04:23 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Lexus may recall certain 2007/2008 LS 460s?

I experienced a Lexus LS430 recall (several years back) for transmission and fuel pump replacement. They did not tear the old transmission down and try to fix it or replace the defective part. Lexus replaced all the old transmissions with new ones (about 14,000 of them). At the same time they replaced the fuel pump that may not have been compatible with ethynol fuel. The provided loaner vehicle, did all the work in one day, filled the empty tank with gas. A month later I received a $200 Chevron Credit Card/Gift Card expressing Lexus's apoligies and hope that I was not inconvienced too much for the replacements. Evidently, a plastic part in the park mechanism had failed in some transmissions and Lexus decided to replace them all. I have had other minor problems fixed to my satisfaction, e.g. Leather seat had some cracks in it after about one year, carpets did not fit perfectly, so they replaced them all. A/C had a problem with an internal door, so they took out the dash and replaced the defective parts. I have the fullest confidence in Lexus and my dealer. Automobiles are machines and are not perfect, even tho Lexus has achieved a near perfect status in thier operation and in their advertisements. Give them a chance to make the recall and then deal with it.....................................
Old 07-03-10, 05:33 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
slow response?
Yes. They knew about the issue many months before the first media appearance.

Personally, I've been a bit worried since Mike's incident but now it's getting serious with me and I'm frustrated by the little info I have access to regarding this issue.
Old 07-03-10, 06:24 PM
Junk
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
i am sorry but that doesn't make toyota look any better. they spec'd the parts, they signed off on the parts, they bought the parts. of course they are responsible. i have mentioned in the other thread. if you go to mcdonald's and get a bad burger, do you talk to them about the patty, or do you call up the meat company that supplies it?

whether toyota make it in-house or not, it's their problem. they have everything to do with it
A least Toyota is fixing there problems. Many automakers have PREMATURE transmission and engine failures and do nothing about it. Be glad it will be fixed. It is a big job for the Lexus techs out there, so give them some respect for what they do. They will take care of your car.

Last edited by Junk; 07-03-10 at 06:26 PM. Reason: POOR WRITING
Old 07-03-10, 07:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Junk
A least Toyota is fixing there problems. Many automakers have PREMATURE transmission and engine failures and do nothing about it. Be glad it will be fixed. It is a big job for the Lexus techs out there, so give them some respect for what they do. They will take care of your car.
of course i am giving them a lot of credit for doing the recall when it's only 0.2%, they are doing the right thing. no doubt on that. but at the same time i don't think where the springs (or the pedals) come from matter at all, it's toyota's name all over it.

i have gs350 and i am not worried a bit about it at all. i mean, what's the big deal, first of all it's 0.2%, second worst come to worst, my car stalls. to be honest i am very happy about the way toyota handles it already. some don't understand what's involved in all the study and confirmations needed. look at recalls from other companies and people will know toyota's response is nothing less than slow (the only slow one i call is the gas pedal mess. the fastest one? gx460 vsc system)

but my point was that who actually makes the springs doesn't matter at all, and i don't see it as an excuse for anything

and yes, i came from acura tl back in 02, i know very well about their tranny woe
Old 07-03-10, 08:28 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

This is way overblown because it's now cool to spank Toyota. As posted here, I also had an LS430 with the tranny and fuel pump recall. No big deal...the fixed it and that was the end of it. The LS460 Is probably the overall best mass produced car ever made. Schadenfraude by those who don't have one. If you don't know the word, look it up. It's what the media is feeding on here.
Old 07-04-10, 02:41 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
This is way overblown because it's now cool to spank Toyota. As posted here, I also had an LS430 with the tranny and fuel pump recall. No big deal...the fixed it and that was the end of it. The LS460 Is probably the overall best mass produced car ever made. Schadenfraude by those who don't have one. If you don't know the word, look it up. It's what the media is feeding on here.
No way is it the best mass produced car ever made. Mine has gone in for some sort of service problem with every 5000 mile oil change so that is 7 service problems at this point. My 2000 gs had no problems and it just hit 200000 miles.
By the way if you want to use a big fancy word make sure to spell it correctly
Old 07-04-10, 03:43 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I DID spell it wrong! SCHADENFRAUDE is the right way. Oops!
Old 07-04-10, 03:54 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Schadenfreude

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement